Best "Duncan" Tele Neck Pickup to go with a Duncan Jerry Donahue

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Butch Snyder, Feb 15, 2020.

1. Butch Snyder

Butch Snyder Tele-Afflicted

So, I’m looking for a Duncan Tele neck pickup to go with my Jerry Donahue bridge pick up. The body is ash and the fretboard is maple. I have owned the Alnico 2 pro Tele neck pickup before and found it really mellow. I don’t remember what body that telecaster, at that time, watch. I am kind of thinking about the Five-Two model also. I want to pair the Donahue bridge pickup with a Duncan Tele neck pickup. Thoughts?

2. YoGeorge

YoGeorge Tele-Afflicted

All Duncan tele neck pickups have brass covers and they are all really mellow/laid back.

The 5-2 is gonna be dull just like the basic '54 neck, the A2 neck, the hot tele neck, and the QP neck.

Your solution is either buying a custom shop Duncan with a cutout cover, or get any Duncan neck pickup, remove the cover, and replace it with a nickel silver cover. Or leave it uncovered.

The EZ solution is to buy a Dimarzio Twang King neck which is a perfect match for the JD, Broadcaster, etc bridge pickups. Thank me later :)

3. Butch Snyder

I think I’ll just keep the Alnico 2 Pro Strat pickup on it. It sounds great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

53Strat likes this.
  4. YoGeorge

YoGeorge Tele-Afflicted

Given that's was JD actually uses, sounds like a great idea. If I recall correctly, the JD model tele also moves the neck pickup a bit toward the bridge to get it out of the dead harmonic node that can be an issue with regular teles.

5. dougstrum

dougstrum Friend of Leo's

I like the mini humbucker I've got paired with a Duncan Donahue. Mine isn't a Duncan, but they make minis if you want to keep it all Duncan.

Mincer likes this.
  6. maj34

maj34 Tele-Holic

I have a MIJ 72 Custom -- ash body, maple neck, JD in the bridge. I find the JD very bright in this guitar, but it pairs beautifully with the relatively dark WRHB in the neck.

I've also tried the JD in the bridge of my 52 Tele. I loved it there, but it really overpowered the Original Vintage that is in the neck -- even if I set the OV high and the JD low, it just didn't work.

So I've been debating the same thing as you -- what pairs with the JD. Sure a strat pickup would work, but I don't want to re-route my guitar body.

A lot of people like the twisted tele neck pickup which is higher output. I wondered if that would work, but there's a couple of problems: I don't think they sell the neck separately, and I'm not sure if you would get hum cancelling when mixing SD and Fender.

7. Butch Snyder

I decided to keep it the way it is. APTL-3JD/APS-1 combo. It's like they were meant to be together.

DisharmonicDark99 likes this.
  8. maj34

maj34 Tele-Holic

Just had an idea. Vineham pickups makes a tele pickup called the Tele-ST which is a tele pickup that attempts to emulate a strat pickup. 42 gauge wire (similar to the twisted tele), but rather than putting in longer magnets Vineham just raises the rod heights to achieve a similar effect.

It's Alnico 5 magnets which I'm guessing might pair well with an Alnico 2 in the bridge (i.e. Alnico 2 are darker but the bridge is a the brighter position, Alnico 5 are brighter but the darker neck position).

I'd like to hear someone who knows more about these things weigh in on this theory/combination, but I'm really tempted... Vineham is very close to where I live and I can buy them local, so at $65CDN it's an easy thing to try out.

9. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Hmmmm…….Just as Jerry planned it.;)

I had a JD paired with a O.C. Duff Big Boy for a while. Seemed to work pretty well.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.