1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Best Dumble clone

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by Jrat, Jun 6, 2019.

1. alathIN

alathIN Tele-Holic

2. Endless Mike

Endless Mike Friend of Leo's

The playing and performance is for the audience, the tone is for the player. I've never worked on my tone because of the audience.

Owenmoney, Larry F and joebloggs13 like this.
  3. joebloggs13

joebloggs13 Tele-Afflicted

Agreed.

Larry F likes this.
  4. L.A. Mike

L.A. Mike Tele-Afflicted

somewhere over a rainbow (Ex-L.A. resident)
    I guess it depends on the band, venue and what the audience expects. Some people just want to dance and couldn't care less what the band sounds like as long as the song sounds reasonably close to the recorded version.
    The people who come to see my group actually sit there and listen to us.
    My tone, along with many other things affects how well I perform that day. If my strings are new or old, if the venue has bad power or noisy lighting, if the acoustics are bad in the room, if the soundman sucks, iif I feel physically bad that day, etc.
    If everything isn't going well in general, it may negatively affect how I perform. Since my goal is to give the best performance I can, I try to make sure none of the other things I mentioned are working against me during the performance. Sound checks are vital.
    When I play a solo, I want to just create music, not be thinking about problems like poor sound.
    I owe that to the people who pay money to see us.

Never underestimate your audience. They hear more than one might imagine. Even non-musician audience members. I learned this a long time ago when I used to do freelance live music reviews for the L.A. Free Press. I'd try to catch people as they left the show and ask them what they thought. I was especially interested if I saw someone leaving the show early. You'd be surprised what they notice.

5. stantheman

stantheman Doctor of Teleocity

"Soul Food" straight into the front end of your Marshall.
    Even more realistic "Sparkle Drive" just before the "Soul Food".
    Finito.

I heard a fellow with an ancient Jazz Chorus (the big one) with this dual pedal setup and bought my own
    "Soul Food" before going to bed from Pitbull Audio. It was less than 60 bucks to my door.

The only Amps I lust for anymore are the JC-40's and maybe the Blues Cube Artists.
    The trouble is I own a Cube 60 COSM and I plug in and chastise myself for being such a solid state cork sniffer.:D:D

I must admit finding the Acoustic G120 DSP a very interesting (and inexpensive) alternative when teamed up with the Zoom G3Xn Multi FX. They are amazing Tag Team Champions for anyone...I was gonna say anyone on a budget but truthfully...anyone.

6. JD0x0

JD0x0 Poster Extraordinaire

*OP posts question in AMP TECH CENTER forum asking about amps*

*OP gets bunch of answers on which pedals to use with backline type amps*

Come on, guys..

telemnemonics and rogb like this.
  7. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

No, I understood the point just fine. But I think you missed that the "rattling walls" reference was in reply to someone else regarding necessary power levels on stage - which relates directly to the OP's request for a lower-output copy of a high output Dumble.

Replies to other specifics:

1. I'm on the Amp Garage forum (just don't post as much as I used to);

2. I don't understand why you're making a point to me about "smooth solid low frequency response at all levels" since I didn't post anything like that;

3. And I have played a number of real Dumble amplifiers both in the studio and on stage AND been inside the chassis - I think I understand them quite well from a player's standpoint, and technically I recognize the significant differences between EACH amp.

Some I have compared head to head in the studio, where differences in touch response and voicing made a couple feel "organically effortless" to play while a couple others I struggled with, as they were set up by Dumble for players with radically different attack and styles (and other players had different reactions to the same examples based on THEIR style and attack).

I am well aware there's a lot to learn about Dumbles - but I am not sure you understand there are some things no one but Dumble (and whoever he decides to disclose specific information to) will ever fully understand.

I also know the clone builders have to make assumptions about parts values and voicing of the preamps unless they are copying 1) a very early model, or 2) a Dumble-Modified Fender or Marshall and not an actual Dumble amp. I understand the chemistry of epoxy such as that Dumble has used to "goop" his preamps and drivers, and none can be removed without destroying the part(s) below or damaging them to the point that they are both unreadable and cannot be measured.

And again - even if a clone COULD be made it could be a clone of a one-off amp, as there is NO SUCH THING as a "stock" Dumble.

Saying "Overdrive Special by Dumble" is like saying "Fender" - it's not a model, it's a "brand"

Same with "Steel String Singer by Dumble", which might as well be "Hiwatt" - again, a "brand" not a model. Each individual Steel String Singer is a "model". So is each "Overdrive Special".

That's what most players do not understand, so the so-called "clone" builders can build whatever they want, guessing at parts of the design, put a similar sounding name on it and give it the same look - and sell a copy of nothing in particular for a premium price. Granted, some have worked very hard to tweak the sound of their amps to match that of ONE particular Dumble Overdrive Special "model" (again, you can't copy the entire Overdrive Special "brand"), and that line of copies may very well sound so close to that ONE Dumble Overdrive Special that realistically no listener could tell the difference.

But there will be another Dumble with the same Overdrive Special "brand" name - a significantly different Overdrive Special "model" - that will sound nothing like it AND it will be more "functional" for a different player (and players with similar touch and attack).

(I'm not comparing either "brand" of Dumbles to Fender or Hiwatt sound-wise - just using them as brand name examples)

8. Paul G.

Paul G. Friend of Leo's

Lots of good stuff here, but I have a question -- is your JCM800 modified? Has it been serviced lately? I've played a few of them and find the clean tone to be quite nice. Maybe a service and retube is in order here?

Silverface likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.