1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Best Dremel?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by michael0703, Nov 19, 2012.

1. michael0703

michael0703 Tele-Meister

Whats the best model Dremel tool to add to my tool collection?

2. tmbrennand

tmbrennand TDPRI Member

I like my 4000 a lot.......

3. Pawnshopper

Pawnshopper Tele-Meister

Do you want to buy your first Dremel, or do you want to buy more Dremels? And do you mean Dremel bits or the actual Dremel itself?

I can tell you what not to buy:

1. Do not buy the Dremel Trio even though it is being blown-out on eBay. The bits are expensive and have a larger shaft than the normal Dremel bits. The motor may be underpowered, depending on what reviews you read. And the bits may break they are used improperly.

2. Do not buy a single-speed Dremel. I own a Dremel 100, and every problem becomes one that I must solve with high RPMs. I can't reliably cut plastic or shape wood because my Dremel is either off or running full tilt. But it drills holes and tears stuff up really quickly. :D

4. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

5. michael0703

michael0703 Tele-Meister

I do own a router, I just thought a Dremel might be nice for smaller stuff. Maybe some inlays, etc. Thanks for the input

6. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Dremels are one of those tools that you're not going to use every day, but when you need 'em, they sure do justify their place on the workbench in a hurry.

SunnySky likes this.
  7. grinchmonkey

grinchmonkey Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

I recently bought my first Dremel, the 4000. I probably also need a router, but I figured this was a more versatile starter tool.

Since you guys know these tools, did I buy a good one or did I over-buy thinking I was getting a good one. My goal was to buy one that would last me and do everything that was needed. It came with a bunch of attachments and bits, but I assume I will buy more (bought 1 router bit already).

8. Ripthorn

Ripthorn Friend of Leo's

I have the 4000 and love it. I have the flex shaft attachment, which makes it even more useful. I use it for polishing frets, making small cuts in metal, sanding small diameter recesses, and will use it for inlay when I get some decent inlay bits. I think they are totally worth it, as is the flex shaft (makes into a reasonable facsimile of a foredom).

9. grinchmonkey

grinchmonkey Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

I looked at the flex shaft, I might buy that in the future. Right now I am way too chicken to try inlay.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.