Best Double-Bound "Body Builder"

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by markesquire, Dec 3, 2019.

1. markesquire

markesquire Tele-Afflicted

I'm looking for the best double-bound body. Alder, correct size/color binding, etc. I haven't (yet) decided whether I want nitro or poly.

Warmoth makes excellent stuff, but I can't quite tell whether their binding is wider than the traditional Fender stuff. The few photos that I've seen make the binding look really thick.

USA Custom Guitars also seems to have good stuff, but I'm interested in others' opinions.

Any other options?

2. derekwarner

derekwarner TDPRI Member

Mark......

Remember earlier Fender [USA] built guitars were manufactured in Imperial dimensions, Japanese, Korean or Taiwanese guitars made under Licence to Fender are manufactured to Metric dimensions

The binding on my totally original 1970 Tele is 5/16" wide.....a simple whole unit of measure in USA

However in the Far East or Asia, the roll of white plastic binding material will be 8.0 mm wide

So whilst the width difference is in the case minimal, it is an example of dimensional rounding

In your second paragraph, you are introducing a visual aspect of a second dimension....'thickness'

My understanding is with the original US made guitars, the binding was hand scraped to flatness post gluing......I have no idea of the current CNC production manufacturing

Derek

P1160023.JPG

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
    Fretting out likes this.
  3. Verne Bunsen

Verne Bunsen Tele-Afflicted

I’m not sure if it will help you, but here is a picture of my double bound Warmoth that gives a pretty true representation of the binding proportions. I’m not home, else I’d measure it for you.
    [​IMG]

4. Fretting out

Fretting out Tele-Afflicted

If you want it painted in nitro I’d check out MJT their bodies are pretty accurate to fender specs and you can get whatever type of nitro paint job you want
    I’m not sure what shipping to you would add to the cost

And don’t quote me on this but I thought I heard once they source their bodies from USACG but I’m not positive

5. Unionjack515

Unionjack515 Tele-Holic

MJT acquired USACG recently, so yes.

Guitar Mill is another option (run by Mario Martin). Excellent stuff.

6. Sax-son

Sax-son Tele-Meister

Warmoth makes a great double bound body, but they are really expensive in my opinion.

7. Rjelecaster

Rjelecaster Tele-Meister

One typically controls the width of visible binding by scraping color coat off the binding accordingly prior to applying the clear coat.

8. Informal

Informal Tele-Holic

Very true..... I would never knock their quality, but some of their nicer parts are more spendy than authentic CS pieces that have been parted out... Which is ridiculous IMO.

I had MJT finish a double bound body from USACG (Before they bought them out) and it was outstanding, and almost half the price Warmoth quoted... I'll dig up a pic tomorrow and post it.

MJT tele.JPG

Last edited: Dec 6, 2019 at 4:19 AM
    Tonemonster likes this.
  9. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

I would definitely favor Rutters, Musikraft, or Guitar Mill over Warmoth.

...except factory fresh. Go with MJT, and you are forced into at least some degree of "Relic" finish.

Guitar Mill is better for finishing IMO, and very reasonably priced for it.

10. Strato50

Strato50 Tele-Afflicted

DB

Attached Files:

Lefty Addams likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.