1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Best DIY ABY Circuit?

Discussion in 'Burnt Fingers DIY Effects' started by rawdatalab, May 29, 2018.

1. rawdatalab

rawdatalab TDPRI Member

I'd like to build a simple ABY switch to direct output from my pedalboard to either my DAW or my amp. It should have a second switch to allow for both at once, and I don't need LEDs.

I came across these two schematics. Both look promising, but I can't figure out which is the better build. I've read that the resistors help with popping, but can also suck tone. If not, would the non-resistor schematic benefit from their addition?

This is the forum that started me with DIY effects (Tillman preamp in an altoids tin!), so I know I've come to the right place. Any assistance would be appreciated. Thanks.

ABY JM.jpg bestABY.jpg

2. jvin248

jvin248 Doctor of Teleocity

3. Finck

Finck Tele-Afflicted

Resistor helps with the pop when you have a capacitor in the circuit that accumulates energy and releases it when you press the switch, causing noise. Since it's not the case here, I see no need to use the resistor. Anyway, a large resistor, 1M or above, from signal to ground, will not cause serious harm to your tone. Just one, in the input jack.

Doctorx33 likes this.
  4. luckett

luckett Banned

The bottom one will ground the unused output which can reduce noise in some situations, but in this case you're creating a ground loop. It has the potential to create noise, but may not. For your setup, it's best to lift the ground of the unused device, but a ground loop can't be avoided when used in Y mode unless you isolate the grounds.

Don't put any resistors in it. They will reduce your input impedance significantly, especially in Y mode when you'll have the input impedance of all three devices in parallel.

5. luckett

luckett Banned

6. rawdatalab

rawdatalab TDPRI Member

Thanks as always. So the consensus seems to be to build the first circuit (by JM), but omit the resistors?

7. luckett

luckett Banned

Nobody has said to build the first circuit. It's worse than the second one. Neither is ideal for your application.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.