Best Distressor-type plugin search (for Mac/Logic X)

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by woodman, Jul 30, 2020.

1. woodman

woodman Grand Wazoo @ The Woodshed Gold Supporter

I've been trying for three months to get the SKNote Disto functional on my machine. Today was the last straw: After throwing out the old one, which repeatedly generated warning screens that "plugin is damaged" and "download and install again" (or words to that effect), I downloaded a squeaky-clean version and installed it again for the fourth time. This time, Logic won't even open —it crashes in mid-boot!

I love this plugin and used it on several projects within a short time before it started acting up. It's perfect for my purposes on many fronts. But I can't abide the frustration anymore — I'm tearing out what's left of my hair! I even went through a 30-odd page Gearslutz page trying to get to the bottom of it before this last try, but no dice.

So I'm ready to toss that $49 to the wind and find something comparable that (1) works and (2) is dependable. I've started working on a record for another guy and can't afford fits and starts. ... Anybody been down this alley before? I'd love to hear from some of you folks — there are plenty of opinions on that interweb thing but I trust my homeboys around here. :D

2. woodman

Got my eye on the Empirical Labs Arousor — a bit pricey but super-versatile.

klasaine likes this.
  3. woodman

Well, at this point in the thread, it looks like I'm talking to myself! :D

FWIW, I've sprung for the Arousor. It's devilishly clever, designed by the brains behind the original hardware Distressor. I loved the Disto-S, but this plug is an order of magnitude better. Also an order of magnitude more expensive, but I'm betting an order of magnitude more reliable. I'll be interested to see if this single plugin can take the place of compression, saturation and distortion effects in one module.

pugnax and klasaine like this.
  4. scelestus

scelestus Tele-Meister

I'd recommend Modern Deathcore for Windows, but I've got no idea for Mac. Sorry, but good luck!

5. InstituteOfNoise

InstituteOfNoise Tele-Holic

Woodman if you have a UAD setup their Distressor is really good. Otherwise the one with Slate is real good too. The Arouser is probably really good to, but yes it tends to be pricey most of the time.

klasaine likes this.
  6. klasaine

klasaine Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

The UA Distressor is great but it's 300 bucks right now, not on sale and w/o any UAd "bait" coupon.

7. TheFormulaKid

TheFormulaKid NEW MEMBER!

I think you'll be very happy with the Arouser. I use it all the time and I'm very happy with it. I've also used Slate's version and the Sly-Fi Deflector - both of which are excellent - but I like the Arouser the most.

8. Ed Driscoll

Ed Driscoll Tele-Meister

It certainly has great reviews. I’ve been enjoying the Overloud Gem Comp670, as there’s no way I’m ever going to own a real Fairchild. Even the reproductions scare me — they’re also very expensive, and all those tubes must make for a somewhat delicate piece of gear.

9. woodman

Yeah, I've opted out of the hardware route nowadays ... I bit the bullet and bought the Arousor, but I dang near broke a tooth when I found out it requires an iLok and my ancient iLok 1 is now obsolete — had to upgrade to v.3, which cost:

• $49.95 for the key, basically a USB plug with a chip;
    • $2 for "handling" — WTF???
    • $24.61 for the cheapest of their only shipping option, a FedEx envelope;
    • 9.25% sales tax.

Is there a steeper ripoff in the entire music business? I've always hated iLok but kept it hanging around for my SoundToys plugins (couldn't do without 'em). To rub salt in the wound, the iLok won't work in my USB hub, so I have to use a precious USB port in my computer. (OK, OK, I swear I won't start a secondary rant about USB hubs! :D)

10. suthol

suthol Friend of Leo's

My iLock is software not hardware, I guess different strokes for different manufacturers.

Have a look at Devil Lock as a distressor type VST

11. woodman

I've got Devil-Loc, and use it chiefly for distortion (grit), though it's peripherally handy for saturation and compression. What I like about Distressor-modeled units is that you have equal control over all three. The Arousor also offers a side-chain 3-band parametric EQ.

suthol likes this.
  12. t-ray

t-ray Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Kind of too late for this comment, but I have used the software iLok for years with no problem.

13. kennl

kennl Tele-Afflicted

Izotope Vinyl may or may not be the best for your application, but it's stable and FREE

https://www.izotope.com/en/products/free-audio-plug-ins.html

Many plugins have issues with the 2 latest MacOS upgrades, and code signing of apps might fix your issue
    I'm sticking with High Sierra to avoid that

Ken

woodman likes this.
  14. woodman

Well, DUH. Somehow I totally missed out on the software iLok memo. I'll look into it.

15. Rolling Estonian

Rolling Estonian Friend of Leo's

The Sausage Fattener is great for saturation and can be gnarlier not sure if it's in distressor range.

M

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.