Best dealer for trading guitars?

LaMarr-Bruister

TDPRI Member
I ordered a custom guitar a little over 2 years ago and it just arrived. Unfortunately, in that time, I’ve had some hand problems and what used to be my preferred neck shape is just not going to work for me today. It’s through no fault of the builder who built a great tele. It’s exactly what I ordered, my preferences just changed.

I don’t mind taking the financial loss but would rather trade it towards something that I can get asap instead of another waiting period. Maybe towards a Suhr or Anderson, etc…with lots of neck shapes. I thought about selling, but I don’t think I want the hassle of dealing with individual buyers. I can handle the loss of value by offsetting with the ease of transaction.

Has anyone had a positive trading experience with a dealer?

985plowboy

Poster Extraordinaire
I agree with the “talk to your builder” direction this thread is taking.

OP, what style guitar is it?
Set neck, bolt on,etc…?
If you talk to the builder there’s a possibility he could even reshape the neck that’s on it and refinish it.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
It was perfect two years ago, now you don't like it? Maybe wait six months and pull it out of the box and try it again. Unless you need the money, best thing to do is just keep it. If your dream guitar isn't your dream guitar anymore, it's not likely to suit anyone else right off the bat. Depending on which way the wind is blowing that day, I've changed my mind about what I like many times. I've gotten rid of several guitars if I had just waited a little while, I'd probably still have, most of them were American Made Fenders of if not of custom shop in cost, at least considerable cost. Buying and selling guitars if how you turn a large savings account into a small one.

SnidelyWhiplash

Poster Extraordinaire
If you take a custom guitar to a dealer, you'll take a bath. They & their customers for the most part, want names, logos & shapes that are iconic.

Alex_C

Tele-Afflicted
I ordered a custom guitar a little over 2 years ago and it just arrived. Unfortunately, in that time, I’ve had some hand problems and what used to be my preferred neck shape is just not going to work for me today. It’s through no fault of the builder who built a great tele. It’s exactly what I ordered, my preferences just changed.

I don’t mind taking the financial loss but would rather trade it towards something that I can get asap instead of another waiting period. Maybe towards a Suhr or Anderson, etc…with lots of neck shapes. I thought about selling, but I don’t think I want the hassle of dealing with individual buyers. I can handle the loss of value by offsetting with the ease of transaction.

Has anyone had a positive trading experience with a dealer?
What is the custom guitar build? Is the neck a bolt-on,neck-thru or glued?

loco gringo

Tele-Afflicted
The Music Emporium. The North American Guitar / Carter Vintage would be my top 2. Call them and they will talk to you about the difference in selling, consigning, and trading.

NC E30

Tele-Meister
Lots of great advice here. If it's just the neck and it's a bolt on, Musikraft or Warmoth can make whatever you need pretty quickly.

LaMarr-Bruister

TDPRI Member
I just realized people were replying - this thread is a month old. I traded the guitar. Life is too short to worry about the monetary hit - I'd rather have a guitar that makes me happy. I had some physical damage to my hand that caused a neck shape change.

MelodicBend

Tele-Meister
I just realized people were replying - this thread is a month old. I traded the guitar. Life is too short to worry about the monetary hit - I'd rather have a guitar that makes me happy. I had some physical damage to my hand that caused a neck shape change.
Okay, now you have even more to explain. What did you have, what did you get in the trade?

LaMarr-Bruister

TDPRI Member
Okay, now you have even more to explain. What did you have, what did you get in the trade?
It's not that exciting. I had a tele built by a boutique shop and I traded that away for a 2001 American Standard that had just been regretted with stainless frets since the neck shape is what I want, it was available and it was easy.

I'm sure I took a financial hit, but I'd rather have a guitar that I can play. It took 2 years to get the guitar, I'd certainly have to pay for a new neck to be made and wait for it, etc... I'd rather trade down and be happy than spend more and wait again.

MelodicBend

Tele-Meister
It's not that exciting. I had a tele built by a boutique shop and I traded that away for a 2001 American Standard that had just been regretted with stainless frets since the neck shape is what I want, it was available and it was easy.

I'm sure I took a financial hit, but I'd rather have a guitar that I can play. It took 2 years to get the guitar, I'd certainly have to pay for a new neck to be made and wait for it, etc... I'd rather trade down and be happy than spend more and wait again.
That's a score if you ask me. Big fan of the 90's Standards and stainless steel frets. I can certainly relate to neck and fretboard measurement demands.

I hope you keep shredding for many more years!