Best "David Gilmour" Wiring Mods without Adding Mini Toggle Switch?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Chum, Feb 18, 2020.

1. Chum

Chum TDPRI Member

Hi to all!
    Been listening to Pink Floyd recently, and I am wondering if there is a David Gilmour wiring Mod out there that does not involve adding an extra Toggle Switch in order to get the Bridge and Neck pickups together, plus All three pickups sounding together in one of the Switch positions?
    I wanted to try to do the mod on one of my Strats, however, most of the mods I've seen on Youtube or in articles on the net involve adding a mini toggle switch, and this would mean drilling a small hole in the pickguard which I am hesitant to do =)

2. rigatele

rigatele Tele-Afflicted

push-pull potentiometer

Si G X likes this.
  3. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Adding the mini toggle (and drilling the hole for it) is not a big deal. I'm sure you're aware that this will also involve some soldering, and your not mentioning that makes me think you're comfortable with it. If so, rest assured that drilling a hole will be no big deal.

That said, if you still don't want to add the mini-toggle, you can use various pots that also function as switches, be they push-pull or push-push.

There is also some kind of "blender" mod that replaces one of your tone controls (assuming a typical Strat configuration) with a volume control for the middle pickup, which you can then mix in an out of any pickup combination you're on (there will also be some changes to the switching, though I'm not familiar with what, exactly). You will also sacrifice one of your tone controls (though you can always make the remaining one a master tone control for all pickups).

I suppose you could also make some changes to your 5-way switch where 2 of the positions engage the pickup combos you want. But again, this would entail some sacrifice.

4. Si G X

Si G X Tele-Holic

a push pull volume that brings the bridge pick up in and out is how I would do it.

so in neck position you can switch the bridge in for N/B and in N/M position you can add the bridge for all 3.

if you google "7-way strat with push pull" there will be wiring diadrams.

5. Si G X

Si G X Tele-Holic

6. Si G X

Si G X Tele-Holic

3c13fcac2b63bdf4610be543d6720108.jpg

7. blackbelt308

blackbelt308 Tele-Holic

I currently own seven Strats... One is a Gilmour Black Strat replica with the mini toggle switch to activate the neck pickup. Similarly, another has a small push button switch on the pickguard that activates the bridge pickup. My other five Strats are all wired with a master volume, master tone, and a blender (no-load) pot. The fact that I've now modded all five of them to this configuration should tell you how versatile I think it is and how well it works! :) The blender pot is just another way to get to that "seven-sound" mod.

If you google Strat blender mod, you'll find plenty of resources. There are several sources for no-load pots, as well as instructions on how to make your own. Have fun!

Rick

8. cousinpaul

cousinpaul Friend of Leo's

The blender will give you more sounds than a 7 sound switch. There is a whole range of cool tones that involve just a bit of one pickup blended with the other. The seven sound tones are there if you want them.

9. blackbelt308

blackbelt308 Tele-Holic

Great point!

10. Chum

Chum TDPRI Member

Thanks for all the replies! I will be checking out the 7 way switching mods suggested here...

11. Gclef

Gclef TDPRI Member

Forget all this nonsense!

You need one of those 10 way freeway strat switches.

https://www.freewayswitch.com

I am all about stealth switching options.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.