Best Current Production Strat Value?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Jake Blues, Oct 19, 2011.

1. Jake Blues

Jake Blues Tele-Meister

I was blown away when I bought my Baha Tele. It's now my number one in place of guitars that cost thousands more.

What about Strats--Any great guitars at decent prices I might be overlooking?

Have already owned and sold an EJ---thought it was way over-rated because of the sticky neck.

2. Alex M

Alex M Tele-Meister

Robert Cray Strat. Absolute killer pickups and hardtail bridge.

Oh, and a chunky neck.

3. Cheesehead

Cheesehead Friend of Leo's

I love everything about my American Special: gloss finish, Texas Special pups, Greasebucket tone circuit. At $850, a great value for MIA.

4. sjtalon

sjtalon Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

For MIM, The Classic Series or for a few bucks more the Classic Players.

5. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's

Right now at the way Fender has priced it's line-up, the American Standard is the best value. The Jimmie Vaughan (only MIM with a steel block) has had massive price increases over the last few years, that and the American Special both sell for $850 street, the Standard is only $150 more and you get $150 worth of stuff, hardcase,strap, cable. you get the bi-flex truss rod on the standard, rolled fingerboard edges and a better finish.

6. beep.click

beep.click Poster Extraordinaire

I really enjoy my CV Squier Strat (50s model, with maple neck). They're not all incredible, but you can sure find a nice one, if you keep looking.

7. Wayne Alexander

Wayne Alexander Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

The Eric Johnson is quite a value, in the higher end of the non-custom shop guitars. Every aspect of the guitar is first rate. Nitro finish, carefully selected pickups, nice thick neck, very much a great guitar. You can spend a lot more on a guitar in the Fender line that won't be as good as these.

8. ROADMAN

ROADMAN Poster Extraordinaire

tried an AVRI 62 lately....you said decent prices which is relative of course but if your looking for a lifelong keeper...

[​IMG]

9. BGTele

BGTele Tele-Afflicted

I have to 2d the suggestion for the '62 reissue. I've tried them all and feel that this is the best Strat offered by Fender today in terms of being versatile for any style, great playability and tone, fabulous neck. All of this qualified by a rosewood fingerboard, however. I have two that I bought at used prices which made them a bargain.

10. jvanoort

jvanoort Tele-Holic

The AVRI62 would also be my suggestion

11. Cheesehead

Cheesehead Friend of Leo's

I thought the 62 has a rosewood board and the 57 has a maple board, no?

Also, what do you all like about the 62 vs. the 57? Always wanted a 57. Some day maybe...

12. endzone

endzone Friend of Leo's

I talked to a Fender rep yesterday in a local music store about the EJ Strat. He said that EJ was really involved and gave Fender fits with his signature Strat. Said he was very demanding and poured over every little detail to make sure it was as he liked it, even the colors. He said EJ was really picky over the pickups. Apparently, the stories about EJ's obsession with detail is not exaggerated. With that said, I really love my EJ Strat. It is an exceptionally good guitar.

13. guitarzan13

guitarzan13 Friend of Leo's

Deluxe Players Strat

14. endzone

endzone Friend of Leo's

double post

15. Tele-Monster

Tele-Monster Friend of Leo's

Another vote for the AVRI62. I picked one up earlier this year and its amazing. I have no reason to buy another Strat....ever. WaylonFan76 has a 57 that he thinks is the Bees Knees, I like the 57 as well. I just prefer the look of the 62 better, gotta love that Rosewood neck.

Here's mine
    ForumRunner_20111020_102613.jpg

16. Tele-Monster

Tele-Monster Friend of Leo's

One last comment on the 57/62 they both have the same pups, which are nice...but I replaced mine with Lollars.

17. ROADMAN

Yes! good eye Monsieur....mine was bought along with a 57 by two friends who loved the guitars but decided to swap the necks so I'm told...aside from them having different necks and P/G screw counts they are the same guitars

18. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's

The AVRI62 is a great guitar but at a street price of $1600 compared to $1000 for the Am Standard makes it hard for me to call it a best value.

19. ROADMAN

buy used...$1000 on average I'd venture

20. still_fiddlin

still_fiddlin Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

62RIs show up fairly regularly on the Houston CL. 57s, not so much, and I haven't seen an EJ for some time. According to the Fender site, the EJ is the most expensive, non-CS Strat they make, so I doubt they are ever going be a "value" buy, even if they do look like a great axe.

The 62s run from $800 (usually not with all original "stuff") to $1200. I'd say you can get one of those for $1000, easily - even saw one in GC for $800 (guitar only).

Right now, the "plain old" American Standard seems to be at the buyer's end of the supply-demand curve when I look at what's for sale. That's where I'd do my hard bargaining, if I could find one I liked.

But, you need to play them. My own experience with a Classic Series has me shying away from the 7.25" radius necks. I'm on the lookout for a Hot Rod, if I can ever save that much money (and find one that plays and sounds better than my modded MIM).

If you are buying new, the lowest price model you can find that you like is the best value. As price goes up, their profit margin goes up. If you think it might be something that you eventually want to sell, avoid the models that are plentiful in the used market. I *never* see Roadworns for sale, oddly enough, and I know they sold a bunch...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.