Best Current Budget Clip on Tuner

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Platefire, Apr 26, 2018.

1. Platefire

Platefire Friend of Leo's

I guess this is good a place as any to pose this question. I've been using a Sabine and Korg clip on tuner for years, so they are several years old. I know the technology has probably somewhat improved since then.

So I'm looking to replace my existing because the plastic body has broke on my Korg.

So in about the $10 to $20 price range, what is the best clip on tuner for the price.
    I've been looking a Snarks but they have several models now??? Just needed it for electric solid body 6 string, Bass and acoustic Guitar.

I seem to do a lot of guitar set up these days and set intonation with them so it might be a good idea to get a chromatic one for a few more bucks. Thanks in advance, Platefire

2. cattzap

cattzap Tele-Meister

3. still_fiddlin

still_fiddlin Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Doesn't get more "budget" than $5 plus free shipping. I got 3 of these a while back when they were even contributing $1 of each sale to veterans (last Memorial Day?). They're all still going strong and have a bright, clear display.

https://reverb.com/item/204704-reverb-clip-on-tuner

4. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

I have a D'Addario Planet Waves NS mounted on both of my principal guitars. About $12, very low profile, and work well onstage. Chromatic, and shows "degrees" of sharp or flat. I actually have a tiny screw holding them secure to my headstock so I don't shake it off while playing.

5. nojazzhere

Scroll down this link a little and you'll see the Planet Waves NS model.....I don't like the little tuners that stick up like a periscope.

6. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

It is not budget, but the Peterson is fantastic. I bought a few and leave them in the cases of whichever acoustics or archtops are going out.

zippofan likes this.
  7. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I also use the Planet Waves NS Micro. It works well and is compact.

Honest Charley and nojazzhere like this.
  8. oldfish

oldfish Tele-Holic

ive been using snark clip ons for about 10 years great little things and pretty cheap.make sure to always take at least 2 to any gigs as your sure to lose/ stand on one sooner or later

trapdoor2 likes this.
  9. ecoast

ecoast Tele-Holic

D'addario

(sp?)

studio1087 likes this.
  10. Platefire

Platefire Friend of Leo's

Hay! Thanks a lot. I been checking out all your links and references. Lot of options here and I'll have to at some point make a choice.

I like the ones that can attached to the back of the head-stock and not mar the appearance of your ax out front. Also having a very visible readout is important. I find myself leaving the light on the ones I got to see it properly---got 70 year old eyes! One of my present ones is sluggish about responding to the big E string---quick response to all the strings is good. Platefire

11. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I have several of the Korgs & I got one of the Snark "Hz" ones recently because it was on sale 50% off at GC, so I got it for $20 instead of $40.

The Snark is *way* better. The Hz feature is not that useful unless you somehow know what all the notes are supposed to be in Hz I guess, but the tuner is rock solid and accurate, it doesn't jump around like crazy like a lot of clip ons do.

12. nojazzhere

D'Addario.

13. old wrench

old wrench Tele-Holic

The only clip-on tuner I use is a TC Polytune clip-on tuner. I had one of their pedal box tuners, and the clip on is every bit as accurate, plus they are built like a tank. It may not qualify as a budget tuner though, I paid $30 bucks for it.

I still use a pedal box tuner, a Sonic Research ST-300, but the TC clip-on is so handy when I'm working on a guitar at the work bench.

Best Regards,
    Geo.

zippofan, rich815 and MilwMark like this.
  14. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

15. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

Am I the only one who breaks them clip ons? The Snarks that stick out on a stalk -- I tend to smash into things with them. I've had no problem with the D'Addario/NS one because it's tucked away on the back of the headstock.

16. Televised

Televised Friend of Leo's

I purchased a Peterson Strobe Clip on tuner that works great for $60. I also purchased two Snark clip on SN5x tuners for $10 each. At least 90% of the time I use the Snarks and they work just fine for level of tuning I need.

17. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

I like the Snark Mini.

18. Dixon in Korea

Dixon in Korea Tele-Meister

I also use a Snark (not sure of the model—it’s the bright blue one). It’s the fastest and most-accurate of the half dozen or so clip-ones I’ve used.

asnarski and drf64 like this.
  19. 1955

1955 Poster Extraordinaire

I love the Planet Waves/D'Addario ones the best so far, but they are very difficult to see in bright sunlight. I also knock them off doing behind the nut bends sometimes.

I have to place it somewhat close to my fretting hand to get it to read well, so the trick is not putting it too close so that my fretting hand doesn't knock it off either. Going to try the nojazzhere screw method to hold it in place.

I love these things, I haven't used pedals in years and it is one of the best gear inventions in my opinion.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
    Honest Charley and nojazzhere like this.
  20. Teleguy61

Teleguy61 Friend of Leo's

I have a TC Polytune clip-on, works great.
    Snarks work, Super Snack is even better. That's the one that goes to gigs with me.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.