1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Best Country Fender Amp

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by highrider, May 30, 2019.

1. highrider

highrider TDPRI Member

I own a 93 Blues Deluxe and would like to get that crisp country tone of Vince Gill, Danny Groah etc. The ones I have played are the new 22 watt Reverb Deluxe and the 85 watt 65 Twin reissue. I have an old Line 6 Flextone XL that is close, but looking for that striking country tone, especially the 6th string E.
    What do you recommend.
    Thanks

theprofessor likes this.
  2. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

Princeton or Deluxe Reverb

bo, DavidP and JayFreddy like this.
  3. theprofessor

theprofessor Poster Extraordinaire

Hardly a country aficionado, but that won't keep me from chiming in. I'd think you're looking for a Fender with two speakers in a blackface or silverface format. So either two 10" speakers in a Vibrolux or two 12" speakers in a Twin Reverb. Needs some power under the hood. Higher voltages are probably better.

ftbtx and JL_LI like this.
  4. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Any of the blackface/silverface models with reverb is the classic sound :D

5. Milspec

Milspec Poster Extraordinaire

When you talk country (at least vintage country) you are talking about a Twin Reverb every time.

CCK1, SixgunElectric, colchar and 2 others like this.
  6. Middleman

Middleman Friend of Leo's

Vince plays Little Walter amps. Brad Paisley plays Z amps.

Pick closer to the bridge, learn hybrid picking.

joealso and highrider like this.
  7. codamedia

codamedia Poster Extraordinaire

Under most circumstances, people are looking for the "studio sounds"... so you need to look at those "classic" sounds from the studio. Twins were certainly in the mix... but not "every time" as you suggest. It also depends on what you consider vintage country I guess ;)
    • Chet played Standel amps in the studio... usually a utilitarian Peavey live.
    • Brent Mason's 80's and 90's country work was indeed a BF Twin... but he also had a Deluxe a Peavey Classic, a Matchless and a few other amps along for the ride at all times.
    • Reggie Young (most stuff from the 80's) was a BF Deluxe
    • Ray Flacke was a Lab Series L9
    • Albert Lee was a Musicman HD130
    • Brent Rowan (80's and 90's studio) used anything but a Twin.... most of his stuff was British based (Vox / Marshall) and he also did the direct / LA rack mount thing a lot.
    • Roy Nichols was often a Fender Twin
    • Don Rich started with a Bassman, but he did use Twins as well as part of an endorsement with Fender
    • Vince Gill used Rivera on his 80's/90's works.... certainly a derivative of BF Fenders. Last I saw he was using Little Walters
    Brad Paisley and much of the latest generation is based on VOX, Dr Z and Marshall. Any Fenders I see in this latest trend leans toward the "tweed era"... with a little more breakup.

IMO.. either of those will do the job fine. Finding an original would be even better, but if that isn't possible... there is nothing wrong with the re-issues.

Last edited: May 31, 2019
    Jerry J, JL_LI, DonM and 1 other person like this.
  8. EspyHop

EspyHop Tele-Holic

That Chris Stapleton signature Princeton seems like a winner. I’d also consider a brown face Concert.

Hatfield92 likes this.
  9. Teleguy61

Teleguy61 Friend of Leo's

Classic country sound is guitar>DynaComp>volume pedal>amp, probably a BF Fender.
    It works.

horseman308 and vgallagher like this.
  10. John How

John How Tele-Meister

Obviously a Tele...

vgallagher likes this.
  11. highrider

highrider TDPRI Member

Thanks

12. Les H

Les H Tele-Holic

As the owner of twin reverb reissue and a player of classic country music I have a hard time with my particular twin. I get what you're saying about the low E string and my twin just doesn't give me the power and authority I want on the wound strings. The treble strings are plenty bright but my low strings just lack punch. The tone is almost too smooth or meek. I'm the only guitarist in our band and I needed something that was a bit more aggressive.

Celestion Vintage 30 speakers helped. Which is the speaker Brent Mason used in his twin for a while and it is the speaker Reggie Young preferred in his Deluxe Reverb. Danny Groah used a Fender Dual Professional with Vintage 30 speakers but he's basically emulating Brent Mason's '67 Deluxe Reverb recorded tones from the Alan Jackson albums.

While not vintage country tones but a lot of the early 90s stuff was recorded with Peavey Classic 50s (Mason and Huff) and later in the 90s Matchless was widely being used (Reggie Young, Dan Huff, Jimmy Olander).

I've seen recordings of Vince Gill using everything from a Peavey Classic 50 410 to Rivera, to Fender Twins and now Little Walter amps and he gets pretty much the same tone.

I read that in the 60s Buck Owens had Don Rich record with the brightest twin tone he could because he knew from owning radio stations that the muffled sound of AM radio took away the clarity of a normal recording. The additional treble gave Buck's songs a higher fidelity when being played on the radio.

codamedia and Milspec like this.
  13. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Friend of Leo's

Speakers seem key here. I've had great luck with Eminences--the 1518 and 1218. Tight, clear lows, ringing mids, cutting highs. Lots of missing-twang frustration comes from flubbing speakers.

EQ'ing seems key, too. A money-saving and convenient way to go here is to get a cheapish EQ pedal or two (sending back the one you don't like/the noisy one) and dialing up and down your frequency levels to find what you want. Lots of times, many tones are in or can be faked out of an amp, but that isn't brought out until you're messing 'round with your EQ settings. The on-board controls of your amp's knobs and guitar's controls may be frustrating you here.

Consider also a treble-boost pedal. I've heard some players get really beautiful tight lows with that, while dialing down over-bright highs via their guitar's tone knob(s).

Finally, have you looked into beefing up your bridge pickup? A Cavalier Fat or Huge Lion can make a world of difference. I have a Fat Lion in an Esquire, and it makes moonshine out of dust from here to Texas.

Good luck, and post again about how you resolve this.

14. Ian T

Ian T Tele-Afflicted

Perhaps just look up the players that are doing the tones you seek and find out what they are using.

15. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

Traditional Fender BF and SF, Peavey's and JC-120s.

16. Masmus

Masmus Tele-Meister

When Marshall decided to break into the country market they developed the Club and Country to be their version of a Twin Reverb. So... even Marshall thinks the best country amp is a Twin,

colchar likes this.
  17. vgallagher

vgallagher Tele-Meister

What pick-ups in the guitar? I use Fralins or Lollars. Nasty narley twangy low strings. Cut through nicely with my DRRI or Victoria (probably like a Vibrolux)

18. Warren Pederson

Warren Pederson Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Actually if you watch old vids of Merle and all those cats they used Peaveys.

MilwMark and 2 Headed Goat like this.
  19. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

I have seen Devilles in backlines that sound pretty decent.

MilwMark likes this.
  20. rjtwangs

rjtwangs Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I swear, these posts just get dumber and dumber!?!? As IF there's actually an answer!! When will guy's stop looking for something that doesn't exist?? Pete Anderson did very well with his Deluxe Reverbs, until he moved to Vibro Kings when they first appeared. Then Vox AC30's were a trend....the best country amp is any amp you want to play country music on.....this is NOT rocket science.....so silly.....

RJ

CCK1, rebelwoclue, stevemc and 6 others like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.