Best compressor for maximum twang powers?!

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Ben Eller, Feb 23, 2016.

1. buddyboy

buddyboy Tele-Meister

I use it with standard Telecasters of varying years and I never thought the signal coming from them wasn't powerful enough.

2. TelePrankster

TelePrankster Tele-Meister

I'm not a "squashy" kind of guy but sometimes I like to go a little bit heavier on the compressor, just for fun.
    I used to think that overcompressed tones were bad in general but after a while I realized that it depends on HOW the compressor works. Ross/Dynacomp kind of overcompression results in a heavy "clicky" attack and it's horrible to my ears, even if I like that kind of compression in the old country recordings. Parallel compressors work a little bit better because of the blend/mix controls, while FET/Opto compressors works in a different way and you can hear the difference, expecially at extreme settings.
    I'm not expert about opto compressors but my Empress (FET) can go from subtle (even "invisible") compression to extreme squashy tones without making my ears bleed.
    That's why I'm recommending this pedal, it works great even if you want a lot of compression and you can basically set it up like you want.

3. Lance

Lance Friend of Leo's

I've built a few of these O.S. circuits. In general, it's a good sounding compressor but it will get harsh/grainy at higher compression settings. I also felt it was a little noisy but maybe that was my build/components? It's an easy build regardless.

Personally, I favor a compressor with a blend control like the Xotic SP as your original signal is still predominate in the sound. Then again, if you're looking for a really squashed tone, something like a Dynacomp or Ross based circuit would be a better choice.

4. ranjam

ranjam Tele-Holic

I'm always baffled by people who say they want a compressor, but not the squish or the attack ('clicking'). Well, then you don't want a compressor. You want an invisible box that will improve your technique.
    There are a few Dyna Comp mods, and one removing a capacitor in the feedback loop to really make the top end 'pop'. This apparently brings a Dyna Comp into Jangle Box territory. I have never had a Jangle Box, so I don't know; I'm just repeating Internet rumor.
    You can pick from three types of compressor, depending on your tastes; IC (usually referred to as VCA), OTA, and optical. The IC can be just a 4558 like an Orange Squeezer (with a FET or two thrown in). You can like the compression an OTA gives, like the Dyna Comp or Ross, or the optical squish of a DOD 280. The guitar and amp will be a minor factor, but the bulk of the decision is up to your ears. I won't take a $200 pedal to a $50 bar gig. Take that into account as well. Pick the pedal that sounds good, doesn't break the bank, and you won't cry when you spill a beer on it.

5. schenkadere

schenkadere Friend of Leo's

I don't think you can go wrong with the Visual Sound/Truetone Comp 66. You get all that sweet Ross/DC squish and pump but the added tone control lets you dial back in some sparkle if you like. And...it's well made and doesn't break the bank.

6. Teleguy61

Teleguy61 Friend of Leo's

Well said.
    A "transparent" compressor. Why do you have a compressor then?
    Pedals are supposed to add something to your sound, otherwise why use them?
    After cycling through a bunch, DynaComp does the job.
    Obviously it adds a lot to your sound, but if you like what it adds, and I do, there you have it.

7. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

I have an Xotic SP Comp. Like it, but only use it on single coil bridge pickup tones, and fairly conservatively. I could totally live without a compressor. I've owned 3, none made a huge difference to my ears. The SP stays because it's small and good, but if I kicked it off the board, I wouldn't get another compressor.

8. TelePrankster

TelePrankster Tele-Meister

Because "compression" doesn't necessary mean a change in your tone. Maybe you just need a tool to help you having the same volume for every string, maybe you use a thumbpick and/or you play chicken picking or maybe you need someting like a studio compressor.
    A compressor can't improve or replace technique, but it's an extremely useful tool.

Who said that a transparent compressor doesn't add anything? My Empress is capable of extremely squishy/clicky sounds exactly like a Dynacomp, but the base tone isn't changed in terms of EQ and general sounding. You just hear the "pop" and the "click" if you want, but your guitar tone is still there.

The SP is a great sounding comp but I found the "low" setting to be the only usable at full range. Plus, I like to have attack and release controls in front, not inside the pedal.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.