Best compressor for maximum twang powers?!

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Ben Eller, Feb 23, 2016.

1. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

I'm not sure that I agree with this.... why would it matter on bass, but not guitar? I suspect he's just more sensitive to the subtleties on his instrument. For me even a CS-1, CS-2 and CS-3 sound and feel very different from each other and the dyna comp is extremely distinct in character. All of those color a sound to varying degrees while the modern models (EGO for instance) tend to be much more transparent, for better or worse depending on the user.

Just my 2 cents...

2. simonsp

simonsp Friend of Leo's

Some guitar compressors tend to cut off the low end, I've had a couple of comps where anything below low G is much quieter than the rest of the fretboard. I recently picked up an old battery only block logo Dyna Comp and that sounds really well with bass.

Bass Setup.jpg

3. whiteop

whiteop Tele-Afflicted

I've done quite a bit of research on this topic before. The ones that come up a lot are the Wampler Ego Compressor, Boss CS-2/3, MXR Dyna Comp, Diamond Compressor, DOD Milk Box, Keeley 4 knob, and the old Ross Compressors. They all do a pretty decent job. A lot of pros currently use the Wampler Ego Compressor but a lot of the guys in the past used the Dyna Comp. Vince Gill uses a CS-3 which is what I always keep coming back to because I like having a tone control on mine. The DOD Milk Box is no longer made but you can pick them up cheap used and they do a pretty good job. I had a musician friend of mine take it overseas to use for recording so I guess it's considered to be a decent pedal. As to the Diamond Compressors there are guys who love'm above all the others but then this is the case on a lot of pedals.

If you want the chicken pickin snap the CS-3 or Dyna Comp will do just fine if you don't want to spend big bucks.

4. freshchops

freshchops Tele-Meister

5. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

Get the technique down... Maybe add a compressor later.
    Just remember, some of the best chicken picking ever was done when there were no such thing as guitar effects.

6. DaveKS

DaveKS Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Agreed, that's why studios use multi band compression that vary the compression based on what the freq range. Bass notes are more powerful and trigger the comp more readily.

That new TC Hypergravity seemed a great comp when it was released because it had a true multi band comp in guitar pedal, I was like heck yea, then it started getting thumbs down from early adopters as being all noisy and pumpy no matter what.
    But now that it's been out a while some folks that have bothered with tone print editor are reporting good results once they went in and built their own tone prints. Still on the fence about that one though.

7. Chris S.

Chris S. Asst. Admin

This has been my approach for the past four or five decades.

Which is exactly why I hate compressors. I don't want anything affecting my attack or my sustain. I've had engineers add compression in the studio with pretty good results, but I've never been able to (or wanted to) use one live. YMMV, of course. CS

8. JTC111

JTC111 TDPRI Member

I have the Xotic SP and it's a wonderful compressor but I also keep an Analogman Juicer on my board for when I want a bit more bite.

9. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

For those suggesting no compressor/technique, keep in mind the OP's frame of reference for classic country is "Brent Mason". I don't know his music, but I understand he always uses one or more comps. Though generally they are maybe simple ones, like the CS-3?

10. cboutilier

cboutilier Tele-Afflicted

I've found placing my compressor after my OD pedal brings some of the dynamics back

11. TelePrankster

TelePrankster Tele-Meister

12. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Than the BOSS CS3 is your ticket.

13. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

Got a MIJ Boss CS3. Been my go to compressor pedal for years. Can do light, bright and twangy to thick and warm with the extra tone and attack controls.

Best compressor tone though is a lexicon studio patch I have in my MX200 rack fx. Really, really transparent and smooth.

14. buddyboy

buddyboy Tele-Meister

Do yourself a favor and try the MXR M87 Bass Compressor. Trust me, it works fine for guitar. It is a pretty full-featured comp in an MXR enclosure (it even has a meter!). I used it for the extreme compression Jim Messina used to get. It can really make a Tele "pop" if you set the ratio, attack and release knobs correctly. It would be killer for more of the "squishy" thing th chicken pickers use.

15. BennyLee

BennyLee Tele-Meister

I share the same opinion of the dyna comp. Whether it's turned on or off, it changes the tone just by being in the loop.

16. simonsp

simonsp Friend of Leo's

I've read a couple of reports that say you need to hit it with a hot signal or pref active bass, has this been your experience? It's the only mxr comp I've never used and as I have low output pickups I've been wary of trying one.

17. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Anyone built an Orange Squeezer compressor? How does it, or the original Dan Armstrong pedal, compare to the others being discussed?

[​IMG]
    source

I found these discussions when looking for the links above.

18. LordByron

LordByron Tele-Meister

Loving my JangleBox Nano. Not only is it a great compressor (better than my MSR Dynacomp Custom Shop, IMHO), but its also got a treble boost circuit, for a great 1-2 punch when you need it. :)

19. CAAD8N8

CAAD8N8 Tele-Holic

I'm still pretty new to the Hypergravity and compressors in general, but I haven't noticed any extra noise at all from mine. I've only used it for a month, and I don't use extreme settings on it, but I crank my amp with single coils and don't have any noise issues.

20. Butch Snyder

Butch Snyder Tele-Afflicted

I have used many compressors in the past. Started with a Boss CS-2 back in the 90s. Got rid of it for some reason or another. Much later, I bought a Danelectro Surf & Turf comp. very noisy and not a good attack. Went to a gig and played a buddy's rig and he had a Marshall ED-1 comp. Liked it so much, I went out and bought one the next day. Still have it. pretty clean; but I don't use it anymore.

For Christmas a few years ago, my wife bought me a Visual Sound Route 66 V2. I love that comp. It compresses and sustains very naturally and doesn't squash the tone. It also has a gain control; which I use to add a little more grit. The other side is basically a TS9 clone. I use it more as a level boost for solos. The problem with a level boost is that when you have a comp that you leave on, like I do, the boost can get squashed because the comp is doing its job.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.