Best compressor for maximum twang powers?!

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Ben Eller, Feb 23, 2016.

1. Ben Eller

Ben Eller TDPRI Member

Hey guys!
    So i'm putting together a little pedal board right now to use live. I'll be playing Suhr guitars with a Suhr Badger amp, and i'm trying to decide what the best compressor for my rig will be! Just want that classic country Brent Mason powerful compressor thing happening.
    I've heard the Wampler Ego and Carl Martin Compressor are really good, but before i drop the coin on that, i figured i'd ask if anyone knew of anything else i might be overlooking (bonus points if it saves me a couple bucks too)! Thanks guys.

2. deytookerjaabs

deytookerjaabs Friend of Leo's

You'd be surprised how much Brent doesn't use the compressor. That said, any of the one's mentioned will do the job, so will the two knobbers for that matter. Your best bet is just go to a shop where they'll let you demo a few. The more expensive ones usually just do a little bit better job of reducing artifacts/noise in the signal.

3. Ben Eller

Ben Eller TDPRI Member

Right on! Thanks for the response. Yeah man, just looking for something to get me that classic chicken pickin sound and feel.

4. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

5. tele_pathic

tele_pathic Friend of Leo's

Don't overlook the Xotic SP Compressor. It gets rave reviews! And it has a specific setting for chickin' pickin'

6. boppy

boppy Tele-Meister

I've always found Dynacomps and similar to be more on the warm side rather than twangy.

Janglebox and old DOD compressors however are pretty zingy...

7. cboutilier

cboutilier Tele-Afflicted

Brent Mason used to, and Vince Gill still does use a Boss compressor. I believe CS2 for Mason and VG uses a CS3, probably a MIJ one.

8. Ben Eller

Ben Eller TDPRI Member

awesome! Thank you all so much for the advice. the Xotic seems really tempting, especially for its small footprint.... kinda bouncing between that and the Ego. They both sound great, honestly.

9. Teleguy61

Teleguy61 Friend of Leo's

This.
    DynaComp works. It ain't fancy, it ain't pretty, it ain't boo-teek, but it works.

10. simonsp

simonsp Friend of Leo's

If you can, give the new DOD 280 reissue a whirl. Excellent comp for a chicken pickin' sound.

11. Vladimir

Vladimir Friend of Leo's

If you can afford it, go with the Wampler. It's got a wide range and won't let you down.

12. Lobomov

Lobomov Friend of Leo's

I'd go with the Ego, but if looking to drop less coin, then the MXR Dyna Comp will do the job nicely.

13. PaisleyAddict

PaisleyAddict Tele-Meister

remember, great chicken pickin sound starts with technique. hybrid picking near the bridge and using thin strings will get you there a lot quicker than anything else.

14. Sean65

Sean65 Tele-Holic

Boss CS3 everything at 12 o'clock should get you in the ballpark. If you're pushing your amp hard you may not need much and if your using humbuckers you'll have to dial down the compression a little.

It's funny how I keep reading interviews with guys who dumped the MXR or Boss compressors because the were intrigued with the Keeley, Wampler boutique stuff and after a short time find that they're missing something that the cheaper ones had so they swap back.

15. Ben Eller

Ben Eller TDPRI Member

ended up finding a good open box deal on the Xotic SP! I'll let you all know how it treats me. Thanks for all the great help, i'll know where to go if i end up not liking it for some reason.

16. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

What I always find funny about this stuff is that the Ovnilab site is by a bassist. Which makes sense to me. And his big picture take is that for guitar, and the signal strength and dynamic strength of guitar pickups, one compressor v. another simply does not matter (excluding broken comps or comps with faulty design). But once you cross the threshold (pardon the pun) into "decent" compressor, that's all that matters on guitar. I've tried enough compressors that I don't think he's wrong.

17. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I have xperrience with Dyna Comps going back to the 70's.

Worst, most tone-sucking compressor on the market IMO.

For a good chicken-picking tone use what classic country players used - nothing. USe an amp you can crank enough for some natural compression/saturation when your guitar controls are dimed, but play with them backed off most of the time - then use the controls and picking dynamics to control the natural compression.

That being said - there ARE a very few cases (usually with specific instruments only) where I'll use a compressor - an Xotic that blends in the dry signal. Avoid anything that doesn't or you lose picking/attack dynamics.

18. simonsp

simonsp Friend of Leo's

Well I guess that one man's 'tone suck' is another man's 'pleasing coloration'.

I agree with MilwMark, a lot of guitar compressors are much alike. One thing I've noticed is that the more you spend on a compressor the less likely you are to hear it working. Personally I like a lot of click and squish, so Dyna Comps, DOD's etc. work just fine for me.

19. Tony Done

Tony Done Friend of Leo's

Which ones have an attack control that really does something? I've got two with attack controls that don't do much, and that might be a twang-aid if you can find one.

Here's a radical idea. My favourite compressor is a Boss LMB-3 limiter-enhancer. It has sensible compressor controls, Threshold and Ratio, and the Enhance control might be just the thing for adding a bit of twang.

20. Mike_LA

Mike_LA Tele-Afflicted

Is this the Ben Eller from youtube weekend wankshop?

Attached Files:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.