1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Best Compressor for country guitar (w/ Tele & Twin)..

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by HillbillySims, Jun 19, 2006.

1. Darrell

Darrell Friend of Leo's

I am with webmaster

I have two MXR's of two different model's. They are both vintage, but both block logo's, but both respond completely different. The older one REALLY compresses. I can't get is off 9:00 without it being "over the top".

The new one you can really max out the knobs at say 1:00, but once you do that it can get kind of brittle. What you do is just back it up a tad and your good to go.

2. clearfish

clearfish TDPRI Member

I've used an MXR for years, and last year I replaced it with a Route 66 by Visual Sound. I'm very pleased, and the TS copy (w/bass boost) that comes with it is a real bonus.
    The big difference to me is the MXR cut all the highs out unless the guitar volume pot was at 90% or more. The Rt.66 can stay on for reduced volume rhythm playing. It doesn't have the same squash ability, but it's very natural sounding and transparent. For the $$ it's a winner, especially for country--hey, Johnny Hiland uses them WITHOUT an endorsement deal. That says a lot to me.

3. infragreen

infragreen NEW MEMBER!

I've tried every compressor above except the Keeley and the Analogman.
    I have a Barber Tone Press and it DESTROYS every other compressor I've owned/played. Mine isn't a bit noisy, unless the volumes dimed. (Which it never is.) It used to pop real bad when engaging it in front of my Bogner Shiva, but so did almost all the other pedals I had. I have a Carr Imperial now, and all my pedals are super-quiet. No pop at all. If you play a lot of slide, I'd say the Barber TP is a must-have.

4. Echoplex

Echoplex Tele-Meister

I've owned so many compressors.Boss CS-3, Keeley, Barber TP and Blackbox Oxygen to name a few.For country I love the Boss CS-3.It's got that thang I just love.I have a older one that just sounds magical with a Tele.

5. nick_g

nick_g Tele-Meister

I love the maxon cp-101 compressor, very subtle and transparent. Works for me with my dr z, though that compresses a lot naturally. For a fender style amp, a pedal that does more "compressing" and is less subtle, such as the boss, would probably be preferable for me.

6. Twangbanger

Twangbanger Tele-Holic

I Like that fast attack and wanted a simpler compressor.
    Started with a Digitech Main Squeeze, then got a CS-3 and modded the crap out of it. It was cool, but still colored the tone too much. Then I A'B'd the MXR and the Maxon. The maxon had a slow attack and the MXR was about medium. We'll I figured why not buy the MXR for 70$ and mod it. Then I found a attack mod for the MXR Dynacomp and put it in and love the crap out of it now. I was playing through a Twin that I was fixing today and I messed with my pedals, specificly my MXR, and there's hardly any change in tone when it's on or off.

To each is his own, I think you have to find the sound that fits your needs and ear. At the moment I have.

7. Grin'n'pick

Grin'n'pick Friend of Leo's

Got an Analogman Mini Bicomp. After playing with the attack I prefer it to the Keeley for country. It is less glassy and sterile to my ears, and having two compressors in one means it is actually quite a bargain. It has more life than the Keeley with my gear. The bicomp is also, surprisingly, less noisy than the Keeley was. My 4-Knob Keeley has already had to find a new home. It was a great pedal but I prefer the Bicomp. I'm so happy with it that I may also shift my CS-2 now, we'll see.

8. Tele-phone man

Tele-phone man Tele-Afflicted

Marshall "Edward the Compressor"
    Low noise, no noticeable tone suck in bypass, controls for attack, level, compression, and emphasis (from lows to highs), reasonable price. I like it better than the Dyna-Comp because I can keep some attack and Hi-freq emphasis. Keeps the tone sharp for clean leads.

9. TheViking

TheViking Tele-Holic

I agree completely. The CS-2 is an incredibly lil piece of work. The one I had got stolen after a gig, and luckily for me I found one in a small music store in the same city the day after.

10. Kevinpenguin

Kevinpenguin TDPRI Member

Barber Tone Press. I have never liked anything else, next time I am near one my mastercard is coming out. Especially with twangy teles.

11. Fourth Feline

Fourth Feline Tele-Holic

... I heartily second all that has been said above. If I was only allowed one pedal in the world, it would be this one. The clean boost ability is really useful too. My favourite setting is listed on the instruction sheet as "Magic dust for single coils"

- It really is ! :D

12. RomanS

RomanS Poster Extraordinaire

I just got a Marshall Ed the Compressor - great sound, very versatile, low price, sturdy construction.

13. backmantele

backmantele Tele-Meister

Been using the Keeley 2 knob for a few years and you just can't beat it. Haven't tried the 4 knob however.

14. billygoat

billygoat TDPRI Member

Try the diamond compressor. I have never heard a more transparent sounding compressor

15. GUITARmole

GUITARmole Tele-Afflicted

I built the Orange Squeezer and think that it sounds fantastic and very Hi-Fi. It's completely transparent yet makes everything sound somewhat better and increases sustain and punch. From my memory of playing through other comps it's completely different than an MXR or a Boss as it doesn't really roll off the treble like the others. That can be good or bad depending on your tastes.

16. Rich Rice

Rich Rice Poster Extraordinaire

I'm not big on compressors, but use my 2-knob Keeley to help smooth out my poor pedal steel playing. It makes a huge difference on faster passages (I say "faster" because I don't play anything very fast on PSG).. Anyhow, I've tried a bunch of different compressors, and actually like the half rack dbx unit, although it colors the sound. Great bang for the bux. I don't use compressors for any six stringin'.

17. kludge

kludge Tele-Afflicted

Just because no one has mentioned it... I recently got a ToadWorks Mr Squishy and I like it a LOT. Good boutique construction, very little noise problem. I've never found a compressor that truly works perfectly for me, and Mr Squishy is still on honeymoon, but it's still better than anything else I've used.

18. msteurbaut

msteurbaut Tele-Holic

Works fine for me (although it looks like an alien spacecraft an weights a ton).

19. RomanS

RomanS Poster Extraordinaire

Well, that's an old thread that came back from the dead...
    After no one answered my question, I got that cheap used Line6 Constrictor that I was asking about - and HATED it; thin sound (looses a lot of bass when switched on), very noisy, did not like it at all - I even thought it might be broken, but I tried a new one at a shop, and it sounds the same; almost made me want never to try a compressor again.
    Fortunately, I also tested a few in the same price region at that store, the MXR Dynacomp (not bad, but not as flexible as the others), some DOD unit and a Digitech compressor - both not bad sounding, would have been good choices if I hadn't found the Marshall Edward the Compressor that sounded noticeably better, warmer, less noisy than the others, and allowed more tonal variety, too.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2006
  20. msteurbaut

msteurbaut Tele-Holic

Where did you put it in your chain?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.