Best compliment you ever received?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by LGOberean, Oct 18, 2021.

1. Hey_you

Hey_you Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Had a job as a machine operator for many years. A lift driver swears I do more repairs and faster, with just a tool-man and a 6" crescent wrench. And I did!!

2. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Don't over-think this Bill......
    Let's just go with "Chet". ;)

3. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

:lol::lol::lol:

nojazzhere and brookdalebill like this.
  4. popthree

popthree Poster Extraordinaire

it was probably 1990, my band was playing at a club in SF called The Underground. After our set, a man approached me, handed me a business card and shook my hand. He was involved with a production of Jesus Christ Super Star. He asked me to call and set an appointment to audition for the part of John The Baptist. I was too much a fool to take him up on it, unfortunately.

nojazzhere likes this.
  5. kafka

kafka Friend of Leo's

When a girl tells me how smart I am, I just ghost her. I'm not gonna stick around long enough to let her give me the rest of the speech. I've gotten it from girls I wasn't even interested in.

I learned not to care about anybody's opinion. It's just better if you keep it to yourself. Results are the only thing that matters. If I get what I want, great. If not, oh well, see ya.

6. raito

raito Poster Extraordinaire

Maybe not the best, but close...

Last Friday was Youth Appreciation Night during the varsity soccer game. So lots of players from the local youth club were there, including the immediately pre-HS girls I assisted with last year and coached at summer.

They told me I just HAD to get a job coaching freshmen girls at the new high school, which they will be attending.

And I got an email from the parent of one of my club team players saying how much I'd helped him integrate into their new community (they'd just moved) and how much better he was with people in general now, blaming it on me.

Aw shucks...

Musically, I'll sometimes play something I wrote and my children will tell me it almost sounds like a real song.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2021
    Big_Bend and nojazzhere like this.
  7. McGlamRock

McGlamRock Poster Extraordinaire

That's a bummer you didn't call the guy!

The Underground is still around, I like that place. And Jesus Christ Superstar is back in town. Maybe it's a sign!

popthree likes this.
  8. popthree

i googled it and all i could find was a place called underground SF on haight. this joint was literally underground and it was south of market. i think on howard. yeah i regret not following up on that. i was a dummy.

9. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

"You're better than I remember"...

P Thought and brookdalebill like this.
  10. Ron R

Ron R Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Best compliment is having your grown child say that you were the best father she could have ever hoped for, she's very thankful for all you've done and having you in her life, and that she wouldn't change a thing about you.

11. VWAmTele

VWAmTele Friend of Leo's

The girl who cuts my hair thought I was George Clooney walking into the shop. I said "Thank you, woman who works on tips" :)

12. LocoTex

LocoTex Tele-Afflicted

"It's huge!"......old girlfriend.

13. nojazzhere

Not to question your story, but there's no character of John the Baptist in JCSS.....at least that I can find. Either the guy was pulling your leg (which I doubt) or it was a different character.
    It's definitely a compliment......but it COULD have been a local church's production. OR....a cool roadshow production. (yeah, let's go with that last possibility. ;) )

14. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

"You're not a ****." A former employee, after he left. He meant it as a compliment, really.

P Thought likes this.
  15. Lucius Paisley

Lucius Paisley Tele-Afflicted

I hope you mean Nelson, otherwise I'm not comfortable with your forwardness.

Bob M likes this.
  16. TwangToInfinity

TwangToInfinity Tele-Afflicted

i know ive got a lot but all i can remember is how it made me feel, not any actual ones though.

i give compliments, not smoke up the ass kind or needless , but when it well earned/deserved

*oh yea this one time my pappy said he wished i was his pappy!

17. popthree

yeah you are right. haha. i just googled it myself. i'll chalk it up to bad memory on my part. perhaps it was judas he had in mind and i redacted that in my brain somehow. i do recall it was being put on at a local, somewhat popular, midsize venue. the name escapes me (more bad memory)

nojazzhere likes this.
  18. gridlock

gridlock Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

The best music related complement that I’ve received was from a guitar teacher of mine who I consider a musical virtuoso.

Probably about 15 years ago, my teacher came to hear my band play out. He told us, that when he first got out of his car, he could hear music. He said that first thought that maybe someone was playing their car stereo loud, because the song sounded so good and so close to the original.

He then realized it was my band. Later, he personally complemented me on my playing and tone (Les a Paul straight into a Marshall).

Probably the best music related complement I’ll ever receive, because I respected him and is musical talent so much.

A photo from that show. Me on the left with the Les Paul.

C3C7780D-100E-4439-982E-CDE0A352B0E5.jpeg

Last edited: Oct 19, 2021
    nojazzhere likes this.
  19. nojazzhere

MORE COOL......Judas was THE character to play. (unless you could sing like Ian Gillan as Jesus)
    And....please don't mention Ted Neely. :(

20. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

An international student mentioned me in his PhD dissertation. Saving folks lives while in USCG doesn’t count since job.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.