Best compliment you ever received?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by LGOberean, Oct 18, 2021.

1. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Miz Diane used to tell people that I looked like Tom Selleck...from the knees down.

2. JL_LI

JL_LI Poster Extraordinaire

I was an engineer before I retired, not an academician or research scientist by any means. I was invited by a scientist at the USEPA to collaborate on a series of papers based on my teaching as commercial faculty at a week long workshop he attended.

3. Fretting out

Fretting out Doctor of Teleocity Platinum Supporter

You know what that means!

Big socks.......

4. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Friend of Leo's

All I can come up with is something someone said when an early college band I was in played a dorm gig with a stand-in drummer. He was actually better than our regular drummer, but didn't know any of our original songs.

"You guys... really looked like you were having fun!"

Fiesta Red likes this.
  5. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

My mom raised me, and I was there at the end, and held her in my arms as she passed. I saw to it that she had a very nice funeral. I wish though, that I had done more for her when she was alive. Luckily, I sensed the end was near, and when she would call, I would stop whatever I was doing and talk to her. Any little thing I did for her just tickled her to death. It's sad that we can't see what lies ahead, and do better each day. I'm still guilty of that, I tend to live in the moment, and at my age, there's little chance that I will change.

6. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Friend of Leo's

Playing at a the Fort Lee NCO club, one of the attendees told me that the more he drank, the better the band sounded. I take what I can get.

7. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I had to hit reply again on this post. I've tried to convey before the difference between people from my era and today. Your mom treating everyone like family is probably the biggest difference in people from her time period and today. We are gadget oriented. The poor aren't poor, they have cell phones and Niki tennis shoes. Most of 'em are fat so they aren't missing any meals. They have a place to live! How can that be poor? I've lived in lean-to contraptions my old man built out of materials at hand, ate the fish we caught an hour before, there was no food if we couldn't rustle it up. I wore shoes that I could see my toes through. When you live in such poverty, you appreciate a cardboard box! I still can't hardly throw one away, because I might need it. Your mom treated everyone like family because she lived through that. That life will make you appreciate those around you.

8. guitar_paul1

guitar_paul1 Tele-Holic

I was once told that the rock music I composed sounded like Zappa. At least I think it was a compliment.

9. Chester P Squier

Chester P Squier Tele-Afflicted

A few weeks ago I led a few hymns at a senior living home and someone else presented the message. The message presenter is also the teacher of a Bible study group I am in.

Last Sunday, he jokingly, but with a very straight face, told the class he would not longer teach the class, and I would not be attending, because we are going on the road doing revival services. Him preaching, me doing the music. I felt very honored with his joking comment.

10. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

Another great compliment I’ve received recently is some of the folks here saying I can tell a story well.

As I’ve said, my wife keeps threatening to make me write a book…maybe I should get a minor injury at work so I can work up a manuscript and get a publisher interested.

nojazzhere likes this.
  11. regularslinky

regularslinky Tele-Afflicted

THAT sounds like a great venue to play! Love the Harlan Ellison quote too. I'm a big fan of his work and his attitude. RIP.

Bendyha likes this.
  12. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I had someone tell me I sounded like Chet!
    I think it was Chet.
    He said, “Hey man, that sounds like Chet!”
    I wasn’t playing any Chet-style stuff at the time.
    I pretty sure he said “Chet”.
    Maybe not.

13. Gris

Gris Tele-Meister

We finished playing a set where I jammed it out end of a song. The other guitar player’s son (also a lead guitar player) came up to stage a d said “damn, you’re the best guitar player ever!” Suffice to say, the other guitar player in my band was in a foul mood rest of night and started a huge fight and quit band at night’s end. So maybe big compliments are overrated.

14. Skully

Skully Doctor of Teleocity

Quincy Jones told me that I was "a real 360 dude."

15. Bendyha

Bendyha Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Reminds me of the time I happened to overhear one of my groupy fans comment to her friend after a gig, she said; "He sung like a horse" At least I think that's what she said.
    It certainly didn't stop her friend coming on to me afterwards.

16. PhredE

PhredE Tele-Afflicted

Non-music related..

I run at the local high school track about 3-4 times a week. One afternoon about 2 years ago, I went running right before lunchtime. I am still in good shape and, unlike many runners my age (I'm 59), I do short duration, high intensity runs. I do sprints (in intervals)! On a good day I can keep up with the cars driving on the adjacent street (school zone limit -- 20mph). I run in spandex shorts/tops as long as weather permits.

This day, just before I got done, the lunch bell went off and almost instantly crazed teens came racing out of the front parking lot. When I got out to the street (just a few feet from the entrance of the track) a Surburban filled with girls came out of the parking lot and toward me down the street. Just as I got to the vehicle to open the door they were almost next to me, so, I stood by the door and waited for them to pass by before I opened the door. As they went by, one shouted "Great A$$ !" :D:oops:

Yes, ma'am. Thank you ma'am.

17. McGlamRock

McGlamRock Poster Extraordinaire

I remember noodling around in the college Big Band studio, waiting for rehearsal to start, when the Big Band Director said to me, above everyone else in the room (and with much enthusiasm), "That... what you were playing right there... that's what jazz sounds like!"
    The Director hardly ever complimented anyone, and never so enthusiastically. So that one stuck.

scrapyardblue and nojazzhere like this.
  18. Hey_you

Hey_you Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Friends and family have suggested I open a restaurant.

telestratosonic and nojazzhere like this.
  19. Hey_you

Hey_you Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

I worked as a galley cook. I've had two occasions where retired navy personel commented on how clean my kitchen was!

jim777 and telestratosonic like this.
  20. jim777

jim777 Tele-Meister

My wife once said, "Of course I will!" when I asked her to marry me. That was a long time ago, and still pretty much the best line I've ever heard.

P Thought, KWal, MarkieMark and 2 others like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.