Best compliment you ever received?

basher

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Our drummer once told me “When you play bass, I feel like I’m actually a member of this band.” Which may be more of a comment on our regular bass player, but still.

And I recently saw my old trainer, and she said “Wow, you’re really ripped!”

Red Ryder

Tele-Afflicted
As I walked through the bedroom door there she was. An attractive buxom middle aged woman with slightly graying blonde hair and green eyes. She looked at me and said " my that thing is huge". I replied that it would get the job done. I proceeded to the master bath and slammed the 12 pound sledgehammer into the concrete to break up the slap to repair the broken plumbing. I love a woman who can appreciate tools.

raysachs

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I was playing at an outdoor jam session in about 1979 or 80 - it had kind of turned into a party and there were a fair number of people listening. I’d only been playing a couple years, probably only a year or so on electric. It was just four of us, two guitars, bass, and drums. But we weren’t playing songs, no vocals, so there was plenty of time to stretch out improvising leads. I’d just taken a fairly long lead and we wrapped up the tune. And I hear a guy standing off to the side (I knew his younger brother so knew who he was but he didn’t know me) say to someone he was with, “man, that lead player was great - he just never runs out of ideas”. Well, I was far from great (still am), but I guess I did have a lot of ideas - I wasn’t into just noodling. About the nicest thing I ever heard anyone say about my playing. That guy went on to be a very well known comedy writer on TV shows, prominently on Letterman’s first show and the Simpsons. At the time, he was just a friend’s older brother, home from college for the summer… I think I’d have remembered it anyway, but I’m sure I continued to remember as clearly as I did because I kept being aware of his career successes.

-Ray

'64 Tele

Tele-Afflicted
A few years ago, my wife and I were coming back from Colorado and stopped in western Kansas to visit with my uncle (dad's younger brother) and aunt.
My uncle upon seeing me said I was was the spitting image of my dad. That really hit home and was an ultimate compliment.

Last edited:

OlRedNeckHippy

Friend of Leo's
Recently, we (our band) were asked to play in a 3 band benefit fund raiser for a local VFW chapter. The other 2 bands are what I consider to be the cream of the crop, top of the heap, country bands of our region. To be included in this group is a massive compliment. I am truly humbled. It's been a long, hard road...

mkdaws32

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
I don't know if it's the "best" compliment I have ever gotten, but it's one I remember. I was walking back to my car after work downtown a few years ago. Parked on the side streets and a "street worker" propositioned me asking me if I "needed anything from a woman", lol! I politely said "no" and continued on my way. With my back to heard I her "shame... you have a nice a**". True story. :lol::lol::lol::lol:

OmegaWoods

Tele-Afflicted
I have been part of an industry working group for about ten years. On our call last week, the head of the group described me as the group's "devil's advocate". Maybe not the best compliment but certainly the hardest earned.

StoneH

Tele-Afflicted
Gold Supporter
I stopped in at the old Florabama late one night after my own gig in Gulf Shores. The "entertainment" was a solo guitarist. As I walked past him, he said I looked like a young Marlboro Man (I didn't). The bartender told me, "He's hitting on you". So much for compliments :cool:

Engine Swap

Friend of Leo's
I was riding my bicycle and a car drove by. A 6-year old girl leaned out the window and yelled “Nice hair, mister!” I was wearing a helmet. That’s about it for me.

When I was well into my 50s, I was out on my bike and a car full of teenage girls passed and yelled "nice ass Lance"

StoneH

Tele-Afflicted
Gold Supporter
I took back a compliment once (sort of).

My wife and I were in the dining room of a fancy Officer's Club. The entertainer was a really good pianist. I went over and dropped a dollar in his brandy snifter tip jar and said his last number sounded like George Winston . . . He spent a solid minute telling me how George Winston was crap.

I reached back in the tip jar, took my dollar out, and walked away.