Best compliment you ever received?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by LGOberean, Oct 18, 2021.

1. Peegoo

Peegoo Doctor of Teleocity

Bqck in the early 90s when I was married, we had built a house in a new neighborhood, and a young couple with two young boys built a house next door. A year into their new home, they wanted to finish out the basement themselves, but they had no experience doing that stuff. They asked me how they should go about it, so I volunteered my time on weekends to show them how to build stud walls, run electrical and plumbing, hang and finish sheetrock, hang doors, trim carpentry, and all the other stuff that goes along with turning an unfinished basement into living space. The 5th or 6th weekend of working on it, we had wrapped up and were enjoying a cold beer on the back deck. Out of nowhere, Darren (the dad) says, "I hope my boys grow up to be like you."

It was very difficult for me to respond; I almost busted out crying. That is perhaps the finest compliment anyone has ever paid me.

THAT was the inspiration for this one! WOOT!

[​IMG]

2. HotRodSteve

HotRodSteve Poster Extraordinaire

"You're smarter than you look."

3. El Marin

El Marin Friend of Leo's

"You are really fierce... for your age" Talking about my band

4. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

I jammed a couple of times at some open mike nights with a very well known and popular singer/songwriter, and after one of them he said to me "I really like playing with you Doug, because you never show off, you always play for the song".
    The other greatest compliment i ever had was once when I was driving with a friend of mine, and i put a cassette in the car's player, and after a few seconds he said to me "Hey, that's you. I can tell by the style".

5. gimmeatele

gimmeatele Tele-Afflicted

I was trying out a Gibson LP tribute in my local guitar shop and noticed after a while I had an audience of one watching, when I finished he said ' excellent playing', I thanked him, had a little chat and parted company, as I was paying for said guitar the guy behind the counter asked if I knew who the man was then told it was Graham Gouldman of 10CC who were playing in town that night.
    I was somewhat surprised to find out it was him as I have been a long fan and was going to the show that night, just didn't recognise him off stage

6. arlum

arlum Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

The best compliment I ever received as a guitarist occurred way back in the late '70s when, (after being discharged from the Navy and moving back to my home town), the Friday night gatherings I held at my home to enjoy great music, guitar playing, killer weed and fun times seemed to start growing in the number of people showing up and the fact that I started seeing people I didn't even know. If I'd been straight at the time this might have concerned me but, since I was usually stoned for most of it, I never gave it a thought. My friends brought friends. My brother brought his friends and their friends. I would find myself shaking hands or passing a joint with local radio DJs, club owners, well known bands members, etc. right in my own home, (and sometimes forgetting by the next day). After this went on for about a year I sat down with a couple of my friends and asked them if they had any idea what the F*** was going on. Apparently I was the true clueless guitarist. During my early days back home I'd purchased a Black Widow guitar, an amp and 4 X 12" cab. I continued writing music just as I'd done before and during my time in the military. I got into some very spacey stuff that had a lot of Wah, higher gain and some phaser all playing their part. It turned out my little cult following was made up of radio personalities that started in the late '60s and loved psychedelic music and a group of folks who were all fans of the group Mahogany Rush. I hadn't heard of Mahogany Rush. I was listening to a lot of BOC, The Strawbs, Return to Forever, Styx, ELP, Trower, etc.. The Mahogany Rush fans had been showing up because, once I got stoned and went into the zone they thought I sounded exactly like Frank Marino who was the lead guitarist and singer in the Mahogany Rush band. So .... I bought the album Mahogany Rush Live to see what they were all comparing me to. Holy Crap! I couldn't believe it. At this point I should admit that after coming down out of the zone I usually couldn't remember what I'd actually played. Still ...... what a freakin' compliment! Over time Frank Marino became my go to guitar hero. The one I felt I had to master. I've owned every one of his releases to date and I know I'll never equal, much less come close, to his masterful guitar playing but .... he's been my guiding influence ever since. In the late '80s I discovered Eric Johnson and started incorporating his work into that dream and today, the combination of the work of these two guitarists have been the holy grail of guitar tone and technique to my ears.

Sidney Vicious and Timbresmith1 like this.
  7. SparkleFart

SparkleFart Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

The guitar is beautiful, but your recollection choked me up. What a nice thing.

8. somebodyelseuk

somebodyelseuk Tele-Meister

I get that one quite often, but more often same said about my hands...

I don't take notice of "compliments", but a workmate of mine, with an 'out there' sense of humour once said to me, "I'd like a visitor's pass to your world."
    Coming from him, that one really made me smile.

Fiesta Red likes this.
  9. loudboy

loudboy Tele-Meister

I was playing a real dive bar - you had to walk thru the band to get to the Men's Room.

They booked mainly local original acts, and we were doing our thing. A guy in a gimme cap, flannel shirt and work boots stood in the middle of the completely empty dance area in front of us, watching intently as we finished a song that had a long instrumental outro w/a big solo.

We wind it up, dude walks over to me and hands me a dollar bill. Said nothing, just walked away.

10. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

After working with a mate for twelve years and covering up for him and generally working well together he once said;" Mate, You could've been anything you wanted". A very nice compliment from a friend and workmate who m we knew eachother in all matters.

gimmeatele, RodeoTex and Fiesta Red like this.
  11. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I sat in on guitar with a friend’s band several years ago.
    I did not know her sidemen.
    She told them (regarding me), “Don’t worry about him, he can play anything.”
    That was nice.
    Completely untrue, but nice

12. Lucius Paisley

Lucius Paisley Tele-Afflicted

First time ever on stage, playing bass with a band I'd only joined a month before. Every single song we played started, of course, with a bass line intro.

At the end of our set, the singer (female, for the purpose of this story) kisses me on the cheek and tells me nice job.

I was "let go" a month after that. It was the guitarist who called to let me know. I ran into him a week after that, the drummer was having some kind of issue and he had let everybody go.

I ran into the ex-singer a week after that, who thankfully told me the same thing. She was cute as hell, so I didn't really care if it was true or not.

13. Bob M

Bob M Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Typically I am a sideman. Guitar or bass, occasional song, harmony vocals. I am a big time campfire singer and have played for family and friends for many years. My nephew was getting married and asked me to sing a song at his wedding. I was petrified. Singing by myself? In front of 250 people? What could go wrong?

Well my nephew asked me to sing “Crazy”. As I started, I got into it. Soon it was me and the song-for better or worse. I finish and I get an absurd ovation. One of the groomsmen came over and told me that it was the coolest thing he had ever seen at a wedding. Lots of other compliments but that one always stuck out.

14. Lynxtrap

Lynxtrap Tele-Afflicted

Can I borrow that line for a song? ;)

Engine Swap likes this.
  15. Lucius Paisley

Lucius Paisley Tele-Afflicted

Seal or Patsy?

nojazzhere likes this.
  16. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

A friend (who is also a guitarist) called me, freaking out…he said, “I just heard something on Spotify, and I could have sworn it was you, on both guitar and vocals…”

This was the song he sent me:

Months later, the same guy (significantly younger than me and unfamiliar with Jimmie Vaughan), texted, “I think I’ve figured out what your main thing is…” and attached this song:

I’m not even the beginning of a pimple on the tail of Kaleo or Jimmie Vaughan, but that sure made me feel good…

Sidney Vicious and elihu like this.
  17. HoodieMcFoodie

HoodieMcFoodie Telefied Ad Free Member

At the end of a gig one night a guy walked up to me and proclaimed, "You're a god!!!"

Only trouble is he was drunk and I was the bass player. :lol::lol::lol:

18. hmemerson

hmemerson Tele-Meister Vendor Member

Around 1997 I was demonstrating vintage guitars for singer/songwriter Marc Cohn. Besides being a pianist, he's a lefty guitar player.

Yeah......I've never seen a left handed piano, but I digress.......

So I'm demonstrating a few old Martins, and at some point he says "Howard, your playing reminds me of my producer."

"Who's your producer?" I asked.

"John Leventhal."

The commute home was a floating cloud.....

And I should also mention that Ben Harper asked me to do an arrangement one of his instrumentals, 'Number Three'.

That one turned out quite nicely.......

HE

19. natec

natec Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

"You remind me of your Dad (or Grandad)".

20. Jackroadkill

Jackroadkill Tele-Holic

My grandfather, Gaffer, was a typical wartime Brit - reserved, emotionless and very severe. He was an precision engineer and the "anything less than perfect is useless" dictum was applied to anything he or anyone else did - if he made no comment it meant that you'd done something perfectly, which didn't happen often.

In 1997 I moved away to go to university and I'd only been there a week or so when I received a letter from Gaffer telling me how proud he was of me as a man which was 100% unexpected. I went home to visit a few weeks afterwards and he died the day I arrived home before I had a chance to see him.

I still have the letter.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.