best commercial pizza you've eaten

'64 Tele

Tele-Afflicted
First semester college at University of Kansas (fall of 1975).
Shakespeare's Pizza......open 24 hrs and free delivery.
Best pizza I'd ever (and still the best) eaten.
By 2nd year at KU, location was a bookstore......:cry:

3fngrs

Poster Extraordinaire
Carol's Pizza, long since out of business. Hometown place from the '60s (maybe earlier, I'll have to ask my mom) until the '90s. It wasn't always Carol's but the recipe stayed the same.

StoneH

Tele-Afflicted
Gold Supporter
mine was boston pizza fresh out of the oven..but..the best pizza i've ever had was at 24 tracks place..his wife and he..have got it down pat

In a 5 mile radius, I have Dominoes, Pizza Hut, Papa John's, and Hungry Howies. Papa John's is the best of the 4.

Greggorios

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
My first thought was none. In the northeast there's independent pizza parlors on every other corner so little interest in the chain store or pre-made pizzas. The only one I ever thought was decent was California Pizza Kitchen who made a BBQ Chicken pizza that was pretty good. Other than that, I'd take the 10 minute drive to the many fresh pizza joints in the neighborhood.

Steve Holt

Friend of Leo's
Okay. Hear me out.

McDonald's pizza.

I was a little kid growing up in the early 90s and my local McDonald's served little personal pan pizzas. Incredible.

I know what you're thinking, I was a dumb kid and it was probably really gross. But stay with me. So I'm probably 4 or 5 years old and anytime I got the privilege of going to McDonald's I would have to choose between a happy meal (toy included) or a pizza...no toy. What kind of kid passes up on a toy! Now there have been plenty of foods I ate as a kid that I ate again later as an adult and thought it was the worst food ever. Case in point, spaghettios.

But here's the part I can't get past. Every now and then I'll be eating a really good pizza and I'll get something like a taste memory or a flashback of what that McDonald's pizza tasted like and I wish I could go back and try it!

So in summary, adult me knows it probably sucked. But what if it didn't??

There were two locations still serving pizza as recently as a few years ago. But they finally stopped. I'm sure even if I had made a cross country trip to go try it the recipe would have been completely different. But who knows. I'll keep enjoying the taste memories.

boxocrap

Tele-Afflicted
In a 5 mile radius, I have Dominoes, Pizza Hut, Papa John's, and Hungry Howies. Papa John's is the best of the 4.
we have a number of pizza places around us as well...i used to like pizza hut but they changed their recipe and lost me as a customer...there was another that lost me as a customer when they did.t wear face masks or take any precautions during the ongoing covid issues.i'm done with that place.

boxocrap

Tele-Afflicted
Okay. Hear me out.

McDonald's pizza.

I was a little kid growing up in the early 90s and my local McDonald's served little personal pan pizzas. Incredible.

I know what you're thinking, I was a dumb kid and it was probably really gross. But stay with me. So I'm probably 4 or 5 years old and anytime I got the privilege of going to McDonald's I would have to choose between a happy meal (toy included) or a pizza...no toy. What kind of kid passes up on a toy! Now there have been plenty of foods I ate as a kid that I ate again later as an adult and thought it was the worst food ever. Case in point, spaghettios.

But here's the part I can't get past. Every now and then I'll be eating a really good pizza and I'll get something like a taste memory or a flashback of what that McDonald's pizza tasted like and I wish I could go back and try it!
..my local McDonald's" ya every so often i want 2 or 3 big macs and after i think why did i do that?
So in summary, adult me knows it probably sucked. But what if it didn't??

There were two locations still serving pizza as recently as a few years ago. But they finally stopped. I'm sure even if I had made a cross country trip to go try it the recipe would have been completely different. But who knows. I'll keep enjoying the taste memories.

Steve Holt

Friend of Leo's
we have a number of pizza places around us as well...i used to like pizza hut but they changed their recipe and lost me as a customer

Yeah pizza hut is my all time favorite pizza place. I grew up with it and it was the only place to get pizza in my small kansas town. We didn't have dominoes, or papa John's, or any other chain or local shop. But it's been such a let down for a long time. So my wife and I eat at papa John's now. It's a Really good quality pizza that doesn't slack on ingredients, but it still isn't the same as classic pizza hut!

Once in Omaha on a business trip I stopped at a pizza hut that was amazing. 90s pizza hut for sure. And then I have a friend in Ainsworth Nebraska who I stopped to visit once. We went out for pizza hut and it was the best. Trouble is Ainsworth is about an 8 hour drive one way from my home.

bettyseldest

Friend of Leo's
My wife and I had pizza at a pizzeria in Barr in the Alsace, 1998, It's down by the bottom of the hill, where a stream runs along the middle of the street. On the first night I had a Fiorentina, and went back on the next night , when I had my first ever calzone. A couple of years later I took the kids there and it was just as good. Have not had the chance since then. In 2017 we had a month in Italy, I tried to avoid pizza and pasta in order to experience real local cooking. The best pizza we had there was in the student suburb of San Lorenzo about 3 miles from the centre of Rome. Though it cannot compete with the fading memory of the pizza in Barr.

At home my wife swears by Pizza Express, but always orders pasta! I prefer the local Wildwood Kitchen chain for both pizza and pasta. Added to that the branch about seven miles away has it's own deli, bakery and a 50 seat cinema with some great film night deals.

JL_LI

Poster Extraordinaire
Fellini’s in Providence, RI. Super thin crust with creative toppings. I stopped every time I passed through on my way to and from The Marine Biological Laboratory in Woods Hole. The Coffee Exchange is across the street and down the block. That was actually the first stop on the way home for fresh roasted coffee and a double cappuccino.