Best Chinese Rat clone

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by ReverendRevolver, Jul 19, 2019.

1. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Holic

So...

I've been watching Rats along with OD pedals (I'm scooping up a Soul Food or another Glove when I find one around $40 used again) and I got to wondering;

What's the best Chinese Rat clone? I'm not a fan of the micro ones, side by side they dont seem to have the breadth of the bigger ones. So, I've seen (and kinda like) the R.attack by little bear. I've heard theres a "volume drop" but I kinda assume that's people not knowing theres gonna be a gap in the loudness between led clipping and silicone.
    I've heard ok things about the discontinued Mouse from Biyang, but it seems theres a necessity to improve them by getting the right value parts into them.
    Then theres the Mosky Super Rat, that I know very little about, but run $30 free shipping from China. The other 2 can probably be had for that price or within ten bucks of it, but I know nearly nothing about this one.

My plan for a rat has honestly been deal with getting a good OD then find a rat. But, the plan was Proco used and mod it, find a kit with 3 mode switch, or buy a barebox Chicago Stompworks mr vermin. The kit isn't practical, as when it comes to soldering on a board, it's like Ray Charles trying to kill an ant with a chainsaw.... I'm out of practice.
    The modding isn't as problematic, as less of me touching the board is better. The CSW is $60 bucks, and I'd probably leave it as is on the inside for now.
    But the modding a ProCo got me thinking, a used one goes for $40-$50. That's barely less than the Mr. Vermin, and $20 more than the Chinese ones.

I REALLY wanted to scoop a used soul food soon(because they were trendingsouth of $50 for the first time in a month) , but R.attacks and Mice show up on Ebay or Reverb periodically for low.
    What's the best Chinese Rodent, if they all fight to the death?
    I can't wait to have collected a few drives and a rat, so I can return to just drooling over fuzz pedals....

2. PingGuo

PingGuo Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

3. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I've been singing the praises of the Mr. Vermin ever since I got it. Its the real deal rat. Sounds spot on to my old 94' reissue white face. I bought mine for $50 bucks.

4. ReverendRevolver

I'm having a difficult time not buying several Chicago Stompworks bare enclosure specials. I definitely NEED a rat and a triangle muff that I don't have to worry about scuffing a design off of, AND they have other muff clones.....
    I almost bought a vermin for about $50 last month, but bought an EHX Glove that didn't work right instead. Ooops...

4pickupguy likes this.
  5. OttoCorrect

OttoCorrect Tele-Meister

Just buy a current ProCo Rat. They’re made in China, sound like they should and are built great. Current ones even have a standard center negative power supply jack, like every other pedal has! Easy to get a new one for around $60 on Reverb.

Fretting out and knockeduptele like this.
  6. DFB1

DFB1 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

You can try Moore. I think they are made in China.
    I had one. Good pedal.

7. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Agree with the Chicago Stompworks Mr. Vermin. I got mine on EBay a few years back for $60. Played it side-by-side with a ProCo - sounds identical, built tougher, and half the price.

8. FRANKENJAG

FRANKENJAG TDPRI Member

I had an R.Attack for a couple years and I liked it a lot. All three clipping options had good sounds available.

FRESHMEAT likes this.
  9. Sleepyscholar

Sleepyscholar Tele-Meister

Oo-er!

I believe the OP said he doesn't like micro-pedals. I was going to say Black Secret myself until I read that.

10. DFB1

DFB1 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Oops,missed that part.

11. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

12. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Tele-Afflicted

Hi.

I did a bunch of research when I was Rat shopping. If I lived in the States I am pretty sure I would have gone with a Chicago Stompworks Mr. Vermin. Everything I could find out about them, including the price, seemed great. Would have totally gone with that over a Chinese clone.

As it was, I ordered the current ProCo Rat, cos I could get it the next day. It's fine too.

Pax/
    Dean

Guitarteach likes this.
  13. igor5

igor5 Tele-Meister

I have been very impressed with mooer black secret.

14. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire

For a USA made LM308N bare box Rat clone from Chicago Stompworks will run you about $60. They(CS) get pretty good reviews.

I have a GFS Brownie(Rat clone). With the help of 11 Gauge(TDPRI member), I changed one resistor to make it a more accurate clone. An east fix.

There's a thread here for the mod.

The Brownie will run you about $50. Also, it has three different Rat models in one.

I see the Brownie now claims "new design". Maybe the mod has already been done.

15. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's

I have an R.attack and its crapped out on me, well the switch or something to do with the switch has and it didnt get a lot of use. Might be a one off and Ill get around to fixing it at some point but its worth mentioning since you asked about that one specifically.

16. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

I have the Ammoon Black Rat. It has a toggle to cover two different Rats! for $25. The LED on it is viscously bright. I'd get blinded when trying to see to change knobs. I used a little black paint to cover over most of it so now just a little ring of light.

17. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

The Brownie is the same as the Biyang Max Distortion (DS-10) and Biyang Tonefancier-series Mouse (DS-8).

You can actually just tack an add'l (single) resistor onto the solder-side of the circuitboard, which only requires taking the bottom off the pedal. So if it's too much of a hassle to spend the 30 minutes or so replacing that single resistor (by removing it from the enclosure), that cuts it down to just 10 minutes, or even less.

I've had my Mouse for quite a few years now. With that single resistor put back to OEM ProCo specs, it puts the pedal on par with the best Rats that I've personally encountered.

18. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

I too have the Biyang Mouse. Mine had the correct resistor in it and it sounds great. It's kind of big, but I don't mind. And it's chrome!

19. ReverendRevolver

I firmly believe that if all pedals were the size of a regular big muff, we would all be way pickier with setups.
    I dont hate micro pedals, but they let us get complacent. (The eno trinity is better sounding than current Ds1s, the joyo ironman series is fantastic, and that's just enabling...)

Looks like I'm scooping a mouse after I get an answer on the offer I put in ona soulfood, then picking up a MrVermin in September sometime.
    Hopefully I don't turn into one of those people from CL that are selling because they have "too many of X".

11 Gauge's thread from awhile back is one I found when I was asking for opinions on dirt pedals, but I hadn't looked around that much back then. Those shiny box Biyangs are more cost effective than the kits.
    @Asmith
    I was worried about that kinda stuff with the little bear, it seems to be more exception than rule, but it appears to happen sometimes.
    The worst reviews of the mouse/brownie after the mod is complaints about the mouse being discontinued.

Paul in Colorado likes this.
  20. unfamous

unfamous Tele-Meister

Just get a Rat. Reasonable $$ if you're not in a hurry. Customer service told me in so many words you can easily destroy the pots during disassembly, and I did. The housing is superior.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.