Best cheap speakers?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by grim83, Dec 26, 2018.

1. grim83

grim83 Tele-Holic

Ive been toying with the idea of doing a cheap 2x12 or 2x10 for a while. I dont want to invest alot initially so im looking for speakers under $50 new. Ill use it mostly with humbuckers and with a blackstar ht20 initially (never know what else may show up). The speakers need to do a decent clean and classic rock type breakup (think 70s rock). I know used is the way to go, but there just isnt much market around here and speakers are the thing i never seem to stumble onto deals for

2. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Tele-Meister

Celestion 70/80 is about as cheap as it gets in any kind of a decent 12' speaker.

3-Chord-Genius and Crawldaddy like this.
  3. bblumentritt

bblumentritt Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

I put two MOD 10-50s in a 28W build, and they sound great!

Jimmy Dean and Believer like this.
  4. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Friend of Leo's

I'm not up to date on the prices but Warehouse speakers are good quality and low priced..

5. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

dannyh likes this.
  6. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Poster Extraordinaire

Weber signature series 12” alnico is about $60 a ceramic is about $50.
    Weber makes a great speaker and they are priced right too.

7. Greggorios

Greggorios Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Stew Mac's got a sale going on. There a number of decent speakers in that price range including 10" Emminence Legend for $58USD.

8. Greggorios

Greggorios Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

FrontPU likes this.
  9. reactor99

reactor99 TDPRI Member

Weber ceramic Sig 10 or 12 are in your price range and are made (or assembled) in the US. The regular 10/12 break up early; the 10S/12S break up later. I have the 8 and like it a lot, sort of a 1959 Memphis juke joint sound. (I have alnico, but at the power I've used so far it's probably the same sound as the ceramic.) Roll Tide

FiddlinJim and Dukex like this.
  10. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Seems to me that speakers are almost the most important single part of the signal chain, so I tent to put some money there rather than trying to find cheaper speakers that sound OK.
    But I'm also cheap and almost never buy new gear aside from strings and cables.

The thing that sucks about buying used speakers is the shipping, plus the fact that sellers may not know if a speaker is blown or getting there.

I would build the cab and put the money into a used speaker you know is good quality and a type you will like.
    Then wait and watch for a second to come up for a deal.
    The Weber sigs and Emi Legends are good suggestions for new speakers if you can't find what you want used, though I'm more familiar with Emi and the Legend handles more power.

A few things to clarify in your search, do you want:
    High efficiency or low efficiency?
    A tight speaker than sounds like the amp or a weak speaker that sounds like it's blowing up?
    A mids forward British speaker or a scooped mids American speaker?

There are of course speakers that fall in the middle of all the above, and some shall we say versatile speakers sound great while others may sound like a PA speaker, just very plain.
    The speakers are a lot like the pickups in the way thy color your tone, so good ones with the wrong eq will sound bad.

11. dannyh

dannyh Tele-Afflicted

If it were me, I’d try to find the speakers I wanted based on the amp they’d be used with, THEN try to find the best deal possible on THOSE speakers (caps indicating emphasis, not attitude ), but if I needed to find the best speakers I could based purely on price point, I would also recommend WGS. They offer great products at a value compared to many other brands IME.

Dukex and Greggorios like this.
  12. MadJack

MadJack Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

With the humbuckers, the HT20 and '70's rock, typically a British type of speaker will sound best. You can shop for used speakers, but at <$50, will be difficult.

The WGS British Invasion series speakers have been good for me so far, but their prices start at $79.99. I currently use the Green Beret 10 in a 1X10 and a Green Beret in a 2X10 with a Geenback pull. Both are used with my 5 watt JCM800 clone and my Orange Micro Terror and do the vintage GB tone very well. Look at getting them from MusiciansFriend.com to save on shipping.

The Seventy 80 isn't bad, but takes some time to break in before they sound better. They also have bit of a more modern tone as compared to GB type speakers. They also don't have quite the same low end response of many other speakers.

Gong purely on price point, Panama Guitars sell their drivers, which are of a British style. I haven't tried them and reviews are few, but they've been positive from what I've seen.

Whichever speaker you go with, if new or lightly use, give them plenty of time to breakin. They do sound much warmer and smoother one they breakin. With most british style speakers, expect as much as 40 hours of HARD playing before they really breakin. Once they do, you can expect a much better speaker.

bodevelho likes this.
  13. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

14. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Weber Signature aren't bad. 50-60 new I think they are not Weber made actually...?
    Celestion 70/80 are loud and clean and cheap. 30-40 new
    Many Emi speakers out of OEM brand amps are quite good. Some 70s-80s Fender labeled ones are great. I have one out of a Red Knob Twin that is very nice. 35-45 used
    Would you need 8 ohm or 16 ohm?
    Look in pawn shops for a decent sounding cabs or SS amps cheap, you might find one with a 2 x 12 setup cheap.

Greggorios likes this.
  15. D_Malone

D_Malone Tele-Meister

Celestion G10N-40 is a great, balanced 10" speaker. A bit over your budget at $69 new, but used ones are under $50 (there's 2 on Reverb right now for $40 each).

Les Paul lover likes this.
  16. Salsg

Salsg Tele-Meister

If you're gonna do it, do it right. Get the speakers you like.

SacDAve and gwjensen like this.
  17. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

Another source are 4x12s. Plentiful under $100, rob two speakers, and sell the "half" cab to the next victim. You should be able to harvest a pair of 12s for $20 ea or less.

P Thought and telemnemonics like this.
  18. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

I like eminence speakers and I often buy them used when I spot a deal on Craigslist. At $70 to $95 new they are a bargain used.

19. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

The Celestion 70/80's are fairly neutral as far as the "American vs British" voicing goes, with should be kept in mind. Most - but not all - Eminence are voiced for American "scooped mids", as are Weber Signature Series (and most other Webers). Warehouse makes both. I would absolutely avoid any of the so-called "reissue" Jansens.

But -I absolutely agree with @telemnemonics that speakers are absolutely critical. Cheap speakers (when there's more of a chance of poor sound reproduction and/or response) in a cheap cabinet with a good amp are usually a worse combination than a mediocre amp with high-quality speakers in a good cabinet.

I think it's a mistake to put together a cheap cabinet AND cheap new speakers "just because". The chances of coming up with good sound with a random "budget combination" are very poor.

I recommend saving your money, learn a bit about the importance of cabinet materials and design AND do your own speaker research. You'll get a lot of "may favorite speaker" posts in this thread - but very little about cabinet specifics - which can change depending on the speaker.

It's almost like putting speaker names on a dartboard - but throwing the darts in the dark. and still ignoring cabinet materials and design.

JustABluesGuy and telemnemonics like this.
  20. cottonmike

cottonmike Tele-Meister

I just put a vintage correct Jensen C10Q8 in my 1959 Gibson GA 18. I took it to the local amp guy as he was replacing the caps. He absolutely fell in love with that amp after the work was done. I let him keep it for a couple of weeks for him do put it through it's paces, while breaking in the new speaker. I might sell it to him as I am not a good enough player to keep such an amp in the closet underneath the cover.

Anyway, that Jensen cost 57$ of Amazon. I chose it after listening to a really well done demo on Youtube, which tested six different Jensen's. You can really hear the difference in the demo.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.