Best cheap cheap cheap bass for recording

Discussion in 'The BASS Place' started by Ecadad, Sep 17, 2019.

1. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Poster Extraordinaire

If you don't mind used, you might find an Epiphone Viola for about $200. Kind of a Beatle bass type :

Epi Bass wHS Case.JPG

Telekarster likes this.
  2. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Ibanez Mikro for all round goodness. Epiphone EB-0 ( or EB-3 ) if Cream type wufflebass is on the agenda. Another Epiphone is the Tobias Deluxe IV. Kind of funky in its own right.
    Yamaha basses aren't to everyone's recipe, but I found them to be wonderful to play and a wide range of tones from mud to sparkle were easy to coax.
    You can't go wrong with a Squier P or J bass though. A P with a J pickup at the bridge is perhaps one of the best bass types out there.

5595bassman and Ecadad like this.
  3. hotpot

hotpot Tele-Afflicted

Buzzgrowl likes this.
  4. Ecadad

Ecadad Tele-Holic

Thanks for all the advice! I sure love basses.

I found a Squire Affinity PJ new on sale so I pulled the trigger. Seems good enough for what I need

Bassman8 and Telekarster like this.
  5. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

P-Bass is probably on more albums than any other bass in history. Can't go wrong with a basic P-bass.
    I have a nice vintage ESP P-bass copy but have been thinking I should try flat wounds....

That Ibanez sure looks nice, too. Hard to go wrong with Ibanez or Yamaha at any given price point, IMO.

kbold likes this.
  6. Buzzgrowl

Buzzgrowl Tele-Meister

Definately a P bass. Those record better than most. Even if they are a bit "not-exciting" on their own, in a mix they work out often better than many fancy basses. Fresh strings are a must when u buy a used bass or one that's been hanging around in transport or in a shop. And keep whiping down the strings the after you play. Used Squier, maybe a Harley Benton. They all need a setup to play right.

Ecadad likes this.
  7. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Awesome - I was going to suggest this. They are remarkably well made and the tone my son gets out of his is way better than the ceramic pickups from my 2008-2009 era MIM! All the basses you have home sound fantastic, but if you have to choose one, and only one, a PBass can cover the most ground for you. We played 4 Affinities before settling on one for my son and the first three were okay, but rather cheap feeling. The last was awesome - night and day! Turns out, although it looked mint, this one was used and properly set up by the previous owner - frets rolled and polished, flat wounds installed, but otherwise stock. This is the one we bought!

(Oh - nothing against ceramic pickups - his are too I think - but properly adjusted height wise, his just sounds better - can't have that - the MIM is getting an upgrade ;) )

Ecadad likes this.
  8. Charlodius

Charlodius Tele-Meister

I have a squier bronco that was super cheap and plays great. Used was like$100.

screefer and mkdaws32 like this.
  9. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

My bass player has been gigging a knockoff '51 by Harley Benton.
    Plays great.
    Needed some electronics upgrades.
    I'm happy with my J-bass from Rondo for the rare occasions I play bass.

10. KCKC

KCKC Tele-Afflicted

I'll second the Ibanez 200! Played it with round and flats love the sound and play-a-bility. Great neck, comes with a "bass boost" but I've found better tones without it. Have recorded direct and give it a thumbs up!

KC

6stringcowboy likes this.
  11. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

Squire has basically two lines. The Infinity and Classic Vibe. Classic Vibes are a step up, and can be had used for reasonable prices. Lots of love on talkbass.

Infinity PJ on sale for $160. Not my first choice. But if cheap, versatility, and playable is what you need. Probably not a bad deal.

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/bass/squier-affinity-series-pj-bass-limited-edition

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.