Best cheap cheap cheap bass for recording

Discussion in 'The BASS Place' started by Ecadad, Sep 17, 2019.

1. Ecadad

Ecadad Tele-Holic

I'm moving for a year and I won't be able to bring most of my musical gear, just my most used acoustic and an electric guitar. I want to purchase a very cheap (under $300) bass for recording with. No gigging or anything, just recording DI. I'm very happy to buy used. I plan on selling or giving it away at the end of this year, I just need it to lay down bassic lines for what I record this year before I come back to my usual equipment.

What bass for under $300, preferably closer to $200, new or used, do you suggest?

Has anyone tried a Xaviere bass or have an opinion on one as opposed to a Squire?

Last edited: Sep 17, 2019
  2. Telekarster

Telekarster Tele-Meister

My wife bought a used Jay Turser "hofner knock off" a couple of years ago off craigslist, to use as a knock around bass for when she doesn't want to risk her Conklin Sidewinder 5 string. Surprizingly a good sounding bass and it plays well! And, it came with a nice gig bag, nice chords, and a little Fender bass amp. All for the rock bottom price of 125 bucks! Guy bought it years ago wanting to learn how to play, tried for 6 months and put it all in the closet for the next 20 years... until my wife bought it ;) So... hope this helps.

Ecadad likes this.
  3. idjster

idjster VERY grateful member Ad Free Member

I don't know the current cost of one but when I needed one for the same reason I just picked up a Squier J-Bass. Sounded great, has held up well and wasn't expensive. I love the J-Bass!

magicfingers99 and Ecadad like this.
  4. Ecadad

Ecadad Tele-Holic

My friend has one of these and it sounds fantastic! I might look into one

Telekarster likes this.
  5. Ecadad

Ecadad Tele-Holic

Do you happen to know what model? I have a hard time figuring out all the different series from Squire

6. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

Don't know what "sound" you'll be going for, but, whatever you get, I would put a set of flatwounds on it, for THAT sound. ;)

7. Ecadad

Ecadad Tele-Holic

I have flats on my Hofner and I love it to death... but it's not as versatile as what I would need in a single recording bass. It's great when I have 3 basses at my disposal, but for having a single bass I'll have to stick with rounds.

nojazzhere likes this.
  8. scelestus

scelestus Tele-Meister

What kind of music?

9. Ecadad

Ecadad Tele-Holic

I do a lot of different genres. Indie, alt, rock, folk, country, pop, disco, hip hop, electronica...

For reference, my usual basses are a Warwick streamer (essentially a J Bass in tone and pickup configuration, passive pups), a P Bass, and a Hofner Violin bass.

mkdaws32 likes this.
  10. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

If you can find one out there in the used marker, a Peavey Fury is a pretty good US made P-bass copy. I have one but it's loaned out to a relative who plays it in church.

Another used one would be the Squier Standard P-Bass. They were discontinued recently.

One the new side, the Squier CV and Contemporary models are nice but slightly over your budget new.

11. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Friend of Leo's

The Rogue BB clone goes on sale at GC/MF on a regular basis. They were $150 over Labor Day.

The Squier Bronco is a fun bass, that is often found used for less than $100 used. There is a CV Mustang coming out @ Black Friday, its just over budget but BF promotions might make it doable.

For a full scale instrument the Affinty P- bass is hard to beat.

12. Telekarster

Telekarster Tele-Meister

Oh yeah! I mean't to mention that my wife's knock off Hofner came with flats already on it, plus an extra set of strings still in the package! So, you can certainly find a deal out there. If you already play a Hof, you need to check out the Tursers... it might be right up your alley.

Ecadad likes this.
  13. JDB2

JDB2 Tele-Meister

A few years ago I bought a Squier vintage modified Jaguar bass for recording for about $150 from Amazon. It has a short scale, with a P-bass split pickup and J-bass bridge. It plays really well with a thin neck; fretwork was good; I like the short scale as a guitar player - no complaints about playability. It works Ok for recording but the electronics seem pretty weak overall. I'm not doing much recording now but if I did, I'd be tempted to upgrade the pickups for a richer tone and put some brighter strings on it. Then it would be a player. That particular model isn't available anymore but probably other low-end Squiers would be comparable.

Maybe you would do better spending $300 out of the gate than I did spending $150 and then wishing for $150 in upgrades.

Ecadad likes this.
  14. guitarsophist

guitarsophist Tele-Meister

I have a Douglas violin bass from Rondo that was about $149 new, but I don't see any on their site at the moment. It's virtually identical to an Epiphone Viola bass, but half the price. The round wound strings it comes with are crap. I had flats on it for a while, but I actually like it better with D'Addario rounds on it, medium scale. It has a woody, acoustic sort of sound and records well direct. You can hear it on this track:

https://guitarsophist.files.wordpress.com/2019/06/funkyonechordjam-newcomp.mp3

Ecadad likes this.
  15. Ecadad

Ecadad Tele-Holic

I've played some used Furys in the stores and they always seem super solid. I'll keep an eye out.

16. scelestus

scelestus Tele-Meister

We bought an Ibanez Mikro for my wife and the small size would be great if you're traveling light. They make a fiver for under $200 with J-style pickups.

17. Ecadad

Ecadad Tele-Holic

I'm a little weary of getting a shortscale bass as my only bass... good to know that the Affinity is a good choice

18. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

When I was looking for the same thing I bought a used MIM bass, I can always sell it for what I paid for it. Find a nice used MIM P or J whichever you like. I bought a used MIM J bass for $200 or $250 and eventually also bought a nicer used 51 P-bass.

IMG_20121016_212802.jpg

screefer likes this.
  19. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Friend of Leo's

The whole 1st page of Amazon is full size bass guitars under 200$.
    Just search, Bass Guitars.

20. 6stringcowboy

6stringcowboy Tele-Afflicted

The Ibanez GSR200 did the trick for me!
    20151231_131149.jpg

KCKC likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.