Best budget vintage bridge

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by dophamin, Jan 5, 2020.

1. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

You can keep whatever stock bridge plate is on the guitar, buy an ebay import brass saddle set bridge for $5 (maybe $7) and take the saddles and screws off that bridge to put on yours. If yours has six saddles you can do "the Bubba mod" to drill three holes in the back of the bridge plate. Do a search here on TDPRI for how to do the Bubba Mod, safest to clamp a piece of wood in the bridge and drill with a drill press, but use what you've got.

2. dophamin

dophamin TDPRI Member

Thanks everyone. So many thoughts. So many opinions.

Is compensated saddles really essential feature? Sorry for this question cause I play strat all my life. Just wanna join the club :)

3. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

I put a Wilkinson on the partscaster in my avatar. When I got it one of the brass saddle screw holes was stripped, but I just ordered a three pack of spare saddles and now I've got two spares after I fixed the busted one. Works great, just like it's supposed to. Intonation is spot on.

Wilkinson is like workingman's hardware. It's the least expensive hardware I'm willing to put on a guitar. It's solid, reliable, and will last a long time. Use it a lot on my parts guitars - their tuners are a good deal too. The other "budget" brand I go to for hardware is Gotoh. Same deal, solid stuff.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2020
    Treadplatedual and Macrogats like this.
  4. Macrogats

Macrogats Friend of Leo's

I’m another Wilkinson fan. Got them on a couple of builds and they intonate really well. Nice clean look to them, easy on the budget, and I love the brass saddles - sounds nicer than steel, but that’s just my opinion. I’ve got about 4-5 more Wilky bridges laying around waiting for current projects! :p

Oh, and as Dismalhead said - Wilkinson tuners are good value for money as well.

Treadplatedual likes this.
  5. Jim622

Jim622 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I got Wilkinson with the brass compensated on 2 of 3. Like them, no complaints.

Treadplatedual likes this.
  6. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Here's an intonation approach by one of the greats of the Tele, Jerry Donahue of the Hellecasters.
    As I recall, Tele intonation wasn't seen as a problem until Danny Gatton told Mike Molenda or Joe Gore how he bent his saddle screws with pliers to fine tune the intonation on his Barden equipped Tele.
    Jerry uses another approach.
    Bear in mind that only the first and 12th fret can be dead on with the fretted guitar.

https://www.seymourduncan.com/blog/...donahue-on-telecaster-style-bridge-intonation

7. old wrench

old wrench Tele-Afflicted

Those are excellent bridge plates and finely crafted compensated saddles :).

I've used both the stainless and nickle-plated full size versions and the nickle-plated half bridge. Very nice fit and finish, and dead flat on the bottoms.

Another thing about those bridge plates that may appeal to some folks - they have no logo or manufacturers stamp on them ;).

g

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  8. roknfnrol

roknfnrol Tele-Meister

Love their saddles. Danocaster and other builders are using these plates and saddles too. Excellent stuff.

[​IMG]

8trackmind and old wrench like this.
  9. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Jerry’s approach sounds interesting - I may try that. I’ve never used compensated saddles. It’s a fixed compensation and will still be off somewhat, depending on your string gauge of choice. I usually split the middle on 3 saddle tele bridges with non-compensated bridges and everything sounds perfectly fine. His final point about fine tuning the intonation by ear is a good one, for sure.

10. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

dophamin

Let's approach this another way.... what is your goal? Knowing that would help us all in manning recommendations..

r

11. dophamin

dophamin TDPRI Member

Sure. I'll try. But I have to apologize in advace. English isn't my native language and I'm sorry for some mistakes.

So I'm advanced amateur guitar player. I played in cover band some times ago but now guitar is my hobby.

Everytime I felt I need dynamic and responsible guitar. I play on clean more than on drive. I realized I like singles better than humbackers and stratocaster was my friend all my life. But when I had tried tele i was totally imprese. Tele is most responsible guitar among all electric guitars. So I had decided to buy tele. But one of my frieng who is guitar builder offer me to build custom tele for resonable price. And I thought why not?

I like most traditional 52 tele so i need relevant parts.
    Actually I don't wanna spend lot of money for this project. However I had some negative expicience with cheap chinese parts from Ali. So now I'm looking for good quality tele parts for fear price. Thats all. Sorry for this long story :)

LutherBurger likes this.
  12. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Bridge, the Gotoh.. it looks exactly like far more expensive bridges... and has compensated saddles.. I offer it on many of my guitars.

The Wilkinson and the Joe Barden are about a notch below the Gotoh as far as appearance goes.

The original Fender is a good choice, as has been said, it's used on probably millions of guitars and does precisely what it's supposed to..

r

dophamin likes this.
  13. dophamin

dophamin TDPRI Member

Have anyone heard about Hosco? It's Japanese brand

14. old wrench

old wrench Tele-Afflicted

Yes, but only in relation to the line of tools that they offer.

Nice stuff, good quality :).

g

15. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Friend of Leo's

On one of my barn casters I used a Glendale bridge at the request of the person who would end up with it.

IMG_3695.JPG

There are different options for the saddles themselves, this is what he chose. I have no idea if it is good or not good - seems like as long as you can adjust a bridge its probably OK. However its one more option in the vintage category

https://glendaleguitars.com/

16. VladimirG

VladimirG TDPRI Member

I change bridges on all my teles (a couple of dozen at last count mid-last year.) Tonally, the best results I got are
    1. Callaham/steel saddles (bigger, fatter tone, very nicely made)
    2. Glendale/steel saddles (Classic tone)
    3. Fender Custom Shop /brass saddles (Similar to Glendale with a Fender logo)
    4. Rutters /brass saddles (only one) (Similar to Glendale, but overpriced, nicely made)
    5. Gotoh/steel or brass saddles (Its similar to Fender tonally, a bit cheaper, has a different logo)

A friend of mine just ordered Asher tele bridge - can report once its here and installed, if anyone is interested.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.