Best budget, pedal platform, low wattage amp?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by SnoLo, Jan 8, 2019.

1. brbadg

brbadg Tele-Afflicted

Budget $200-$400 , No way you find a Princeton for that money.
    Unless it's a solid state one.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
    Wally, SnoLo, Obsessed and 1 other person like this.
  2. davenumber2

davenumber2 Friend of Leo's

Agreed. No way.

3. Greggorios

Greggorios Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Although I've never owned one the small Laney's I've tried are real nice little amps for the dough. Another option would be a used Fender Pro Jr. which might meet your budget and requirements.

SnoLo likes this.
  4. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

I've often thought the VOX Valvetronix AD30VT is the perferct amp in all regards; affordability, portability, great sound, and versatility. You can find them for less than a hundred bucks, easy

When I was using mine, it took pedals fine, but the built in effects are more than serviceable.

SnoLo likes this.
  5. jiri_c

jiri_c TDPRI Member

vht special 12-20. i don’t know if they are still available new, but even used this is gonna get you there.
    have one and love it.
    good luck!

SnoLo and Obsessed like this.
  6. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Tele-Afflicted

Quilter Interblock 45? What can you say about this gizmo? Does it function like an amp head?

SnoLo likes this.
  7. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

First thing that came to mind when I read the original post was that he was describing the Blues Jr. Find one used and quit worrying about it. If it wasn't for the weight, I'd look at the AC15 too, which sounds terrific and should be in that price range used -- but, as has been noted many times, weighs like a boat anchor. Curious about the AC10 but haven't played one. Curious about the Monoprice, too. The Origin 20c will be in that range sooner or later but hasn't been out long enough to turn up used much.

My choice would be the AC15 and a folding cart.

Greggorios and SnoLo like this.
  8. 68silverw/black

68silverw/black TDPRI Member

johnnyshaka and SnoLo like this.
  9. Ian T

Ian T Tele-Holic

Fender Champ 2 (Riviera Era) can be had for that price and is an awesome, under the radar amp. Point to point, the size of a silverface Champ but with 18 watts 2 6v6 power section and a 10 inch speaker, and really nice Fender clean tones.

If you are looking for a pedal platform, avoid solid state. They don't take slamming the front end well, at all, and that's what you'll want to do with overdrive pedals.

SnoLo likes this.
  10. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

To me Pedal Platform = High headroom design amp where you will end up wanting/needing to use Overdrive & Distortion pedals to get dirt sounds.

"Slamming the front end' to me is what you do with low headroom amps like the dirty channel on my Orange. That dirty channel would get called a "poor pedal platform" cause it doesn't like OD and Distortion pedals. (But loves boosts)

Boosts don't seem to be sexy since they are easy to build and easy to find one that works.

Funny thing cause "bad pedal platform" can seem to mean "don't need to spend money on large classes of pedals cause the amp does it better by itself." Which can save you money and hassle.

SnoLo likes this.
  11. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

i just fell in love with your post...common sense basically..

12. thebowl

thebowl Tele-Meister

Laney Cub 10 with a needed speaker swap gets you there well within budget. I have a JBL D110 in mine :D. It sounds very fine playing blues, R&B, soul and a bit of country.

SnoLo likes this.
  13. scout2112

scout2112 Tele-Holic

I never owned an amp in that price range that I wanted to keep for very long. It's almost always going to be a compromise. If that's all you can afford then I'd go with the Monoprice 15W with speaker/tube swaps as desired. I haven't tried the VHT amps, but they seem like a good value/worth checking out. I've been on the lookout for their "Standard 18" Marshall clone at a good price, but haven't had much luck yet.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
    MrClint and SnoLo like this.
  14. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

Some of this stuff seems like a snow job on guitarists from the pedal builders. Buy tube amps cause they distort nicely. But buy high headroom ones that are too loud to use the tube distortion. Then spend a whole lot of money to stack solid state drive pedals in front of the amp for gain sounds instead of using the tube distortion. Or if you can turn your tube amp up all of a sudden it doesn't sound good with the drive pedals, so you better turn the gain way down on the pedals and just use them as a boost... at which point you could have just bought a really simple boost.

I just watched the TPS episode on "How to use pedals with high gain amps". They kind of get disappointed they can't use the overdrives/distortions to good effect with the gainy amp. (A Victory IIRC). But meanwhile the Victory without any pedals sounded better than most of what they were playing on the show with pedals, and there were lots of comments to that effect.

The pedals have become an end rather than a means a lot of the time. They are a good means if you already bought the high headroom amp that is too loud to turn up I guess.

MrClint, JustABluesGuy, SnoLo and 3 others like this.
  15. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

have all the classic pedals(in the closet) and do keep a TS & SD1 on my board..but the gain is off and i use the vol as a boost..reason why..my amps and cab-jcm800 era gt75's & vintage in X pattern..what your fingers put into your guitar you get out from just a touch to total note bloom and crunch or the jazziest clean or even bell like chime..why would i ever want to ruin it..and hey want a free unlimited sound pedals??? its called volume & tone control on your guitar 6100Ad.jpg

SnoLo likes this.
  16. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

It is an amp. It has an effects loop DI out vintage and full range modes.
    I posted about the one I just bought in the amp forum

17. John E

John E Tele-Afflicted

Honestly I would recommend the Katana. My Kat 100 is kick A$$ and is a great clean pedal platform, and the .5 watt setting you can keep the volume relatively low but the amp still remains responsive. Plus it has some pretty good built in effects, but it really takes my other pedals (so far) really well.

And I got it out the door NIB for $320 bucks. I have owned a lot of amps/pedals and right now I'm having a tough time remembering any better spent gear money in the realm of amps/pedals. I love this thing, it's killer.

If you have to have tube Probably a used Blues jr. would work well, although tougher to control the volume. You could also look for an old Fender MusicMaster amp, those are relatively low volume and sound great. Also some cheapies that are pretty good, the Kustom 15h and 5h are really cheap used and are decent sounding little amps.

SnoLo likes this.
  18. Macca60

Macca60 NEW MEMBER!

+1 on the tsa15 or a peavey bravo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

guitarmikey and SnoLo like this.
  19. LunarSlingShot

LunarSlingShot Tele-Holic

I bought a Bugera V22 Infinium and I love it. Sounds really great clean with pedals and I even enjoy the dirt channel. 22 watt 1x12 tube amp. Can easily find one used in your price range.

SnoLo likes this.
  20. markal

markal Tele-Holic

This has me very tempted. They sound good in the demo videos and you always return it. Seems worth a shot.

The Orange Crush 35rt isn’t bad. I had one but sold it and then eventually bought a Crush Pro 60c. They’re nice. Great cleans and take all the pedals I have very well (drives, fuzz, delay etc).

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.