Best Budget Delay Pedal?

richey88

Friend of Leo's
Looking at a Donner Yellow Fall, just wondering if anyone has a better idea? Would love a Dunlop Echoplex or Analog Alien Rumble Seat, alas out of my price range. Let's hear your experiences!!

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Looking at a Donner Yellow Fall, just wondering if anyone has a better idea? Would love a Dunlop Echoplex or Analog Alien Rumble Seat, alas out of my price range. Let's hear your experiences!!

I own the combination Reverb ( 2 knobs) and Delay ( 3 knobs). Donner
RevEcho and like it just fine.
Bought last year, 5 mini knobs in a straight line, separate ON/ OFF switches w/ lights
I think I paid $65, plus I bought their " 1 Spot" plus daisy chain knock off...

I also use the Donner mini-pedal Chorus
All good!

bgmacaw

Poster Extraordinaire
What kind of delay are you looking for? I'm guessing an analog sounding delay based on your "out of price range" mentions.

Most cheaper analog delays are built around the PT2399 chip, a reverb/delay chip original designed for use in karaoke machines that's kind of halfway between old "bucket brigade" designs and DSP based designs. They work pretty well to a decent job with slapback type sounds although they don't get quite as warm or modulated sounding as BBD based delays. The Donner Yellow Fall uses this chip as do most others in the $50 or less price range.

The Behringer VD400 Vintage Delay uses a CoolAudio V3205 chip which is a BBD design based on the sought after and unobtainium priced MN3205 chip. It has a bit different, perhaps more traditional, sound than the numerous PT2399 based pedals. There are some other relatively inexpensive pedals around that use this chip as well but are typically more in the $75 to $125 range.

You could also go with a digital, DSP, based delay if you want something more than the basic analog delay. With these pedals you can get an analog emulation along with other features like reverse delays. I use an Ammoon PockEcho for this.

bendercaster

Tele-Afflicted
The Donner Yellow Fall is great. I have a Dunlop Echoplex too. The Echoplex is on my gig board now, but I was perfectly happy with the Donner for years. The Donner, when on, does add a little of that digital delay brightness, but I didn't even notice it until I moved it onto to my small practice board.

SRBMusic

Tele-Meister
Gold Supporter
The Behringer VD400 Vintage Delay uses a CoolAudio V3205 chip which is a BBD design based on the sought after and unobtainium priced MN3205 chip. It has a bit different, perhaps more traditional, sound than the numerous PT2399 based pedals. There are some other relatively inexpensive pedals around that use this chip as well but are typically more in the $75 to $125 range.
I have the Behringer. Didn’t know about the chip, but it sounds like my analog BBD pedals from back in the day, and for next to nothing in cost.

northernguitar

Poster Extraordinaire
Buy well, buy once. $99 :cool:
Delay+A.png

stormsedge

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
Somehow I collected a few:oops:.

Caline Drifter...has 7 different delay selections...~$45. This one may introduce slight noise in the chain-I’m still messing with it.

C6A9CDD3-88FF-4EF5-8818-A41416C74BA5.jpeg

Joyo/Harley Benton Delay...~$40. Good pedal.

2FB10A54-8226-4A52-84BD-1A8E09E145B0.jpeg

Donner Alpha Cruncher...has delay, chorus and distortion...I think it is ~$65. This is the sole pedal I use with my Blackstar HT40. A nice pedal.

9D1B2504-0155-453A-9F0A-543AD00ECC48.jpeg

MXR Carbon Copy mini...this is a great pedal, but pricier. I think I managed to grab mine on sale. Looks like they are ~$149 regular. Very simple pedal.

514B1975-7BB8-47D8-A0BB-00AFB06F63CA.jpeg

Last edited:

TwoBear

Friend of Leo's
Used Boss DD-3. It does everything I need from slap to longer echos. It is also very reliable. I still have the one I got used in the 90s. It was my first delay.
So is my DD five and I don’t think they go for a lot of money? It has been working tirelessly, on my board for 6/seven years of six days a week with doubles through the summer months, then less but playing all the time for fun, if not working, and now home use/recording, quite a lot of time in the effects loop of my pod go, often with the Home studio running 24 hrs, and occasional busking. I must’ve got it late 90s or, yeah before 2000, and I bought it used. I invented that little tap tempo thing for it back then right after I got it. The tap tempo thing only broke once, or rather it was a design flaw, in that I didn’t use enough hot glue the first time, allowing the switch to break free and be pushed down into the sleeve. The “keeper” is made for holding down conduit marked 1/2”EMT. It uses the original screw with a little washer added and there’s some double stick foam around the outside of the quarter inch 90°, completely reversible. I remember seeing the three on a lot of good players boards back then. The yellow sticker was when I was adding up all my current draw, so if you’re getting it I’d probably figure 90/100mA for a little headroom if it’s going on a board.
image.jpg

Rob DiStefano

Doctor of Teleocity
Vendor Member
I've spent WAY more money over the decades on a gaggle of delay pedals, and for the last 6 years the best of the lot for me has been the uber cheap $50 Rogue analog delay. Love it for a light slap back, or the occasional deep space delay. It's the only modulation I use going into a variety of small amps such as a VHT Special 6 and an Orange Dark Terror.

rr.png

Wound_Up

Tele-Holic
I have a Keeley Mag Echo clone from Mosky Audio called the Magnetic Delay that's really good.

Donner has a couple: the Island Delay and the White Tape? Delay. Both of those are really good. One is a stereo pedal with separate controls for each side of the stereo signal. Basically 2 delay pedals in 1.

bgmacaw

Poster Extraordinaire
Joyo has some nice newer stuff. Like this Aquarius delay and looper. Like JHS says in his review, the Galaxy setting alone is worth the price of the pedal. It’s good for everyday stuff, too.

The Ammoon PockEcho I mentioned above appears to be the same pedal. It used to be in the $40 range but it appears to be more than that now and may no longer be in production.

Grateful Ape

Tele-Afflicted
Second the Mosky Magnetic. It's excellent.

Digi delay with tap, trails and low noise: Kokko Timer. It's great.