Best Budget Amp?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Televised, Aug 26, 2017.

1. Televised

Televised Friend of Leo's

Certainly one of the best, but lots of choices now days, (Monoprice, Ibenez,Vox, and all the rest that aren't coming to mind).

Has been a great bang for the buck amp for some time...

"OK...Let's Go..."

2. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

Actually, the Roland Cube 80gx would be my choice.

3. Chatnoir

Chatnoir Tele-Holic

hdvades and Gibson like this.
  4. bluescube

bluescube Friend of Leo's

Monoprice 15watt. Great little amp

5. JustABluesGuy

JustABluesGuy Friend of Leo's

Bandit?

The best? That's very subjective.

Budget? They aren't really that "budget" around here. I've seen really ratty ones selling for almost $300.

Between Shane and this guy, a decent workhorse amp that sounds ok, has been elevated to become the "vintage" SS amp to have.

I would pick up a good clean one for $50 without blinking, but a don't think I could justify $100, but that's just me.

6. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Yup!
    I like the XL, but why quibble?
    They are both out of production now.
    The new Boss Katana would be my second choice.

Tony474 and Milspec like this.
  7. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Ad Free Member

Tsa

8. Il Duce

Il Duce Tele-Holic

VHT Special 6!

ce24 likes this.
  9. Festus_Hagen

Festus_Hagen Tele-Holic

10. INFANT

INFANT Tele-Holic

I've got a few tube amps and few years ago, when I began having some amp problems at gigs, I decided to look for a good solid state amp. I picked up a red stripe Peavey Studio Pro for about $75US. Great amp but it didn't seem to have enough oomph to keep up with our heavy handed drummer! So I began looking for a Bandit and finally found one for again, $75. It kicked serious butt! I used to set the resonance switch to "loose" and I'll tell you, it gave my original Blues Deluxe a good run for its money. Unfortunately, I sold the Bandit last year for $140 and put the money towards the highly touted (on TDPRI) Roland Cube 80xl/gx....big freakin' mistake. I wish I still had the Bandit. The Cube 80GX had some weird fizzy background noise that would be present when i played and then would stop as the notes died off, like a noise gate. I brought it back and got my money back. I found another one a few months later, again, brand new, same problem. So, what am i looking for now??? Another red stripe Bandit....best bang for the buck in my eyes. It takes pedals extremely well, has a great clean tone, is built like a brick "outhouse" and can still be bought used for very litle money.

Jakedog likes this.
  11. Tele wacker

Tele wacker Tele-Holic

I have an old Peavey Bandit 112 and an old Pacer 100. One is 40 years old and the other is about 35. Both are solid and you might find them really cheap. I'm not much for this new stuff that is out there. It is too delicate.

12. Paully

Paully Tele-Meister

All tube, sounds great. Take a look at Bugera V5 Infinium:
    V5Infinium-large.jpg

13. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

My idea of a great bang for buck amp is a SFTR. I've got one that set me back 300 bucks, I'm into it now around $550, $600 with some tubes and caps.
    Or about what a new cheaply made, amp costs.

I do my own amp work so obviously that amp would get closer to a grand paying a tech. Still alot of amp for the money.

RoscoeElegante likes this.
  14. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

What budget?

For band, studio or home playing?

What volume level?

What style(s) of music?

"Best budget amp" leaves way too many variables open.

Paul G. and BobbyZ like this.
  15. TimothyC

TimothyC Tele-Afflicted

I had a Kustom 12A that I still love (I really need to buy another) for its odd grinding distortion and surprisingly good cleans.

But for generic, all around, bang for the buck I'll always go Peavey classic 30. I had an early 90s one I bought for 200 bucks maybe 10 years ago. Fantastic amps, reliable, flexible and all the features you want.

16. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Yeah, best bang for my buck has been an amp most guys might not ever get a chance to use... my '58 Twin (and I mean that as in not everyone has the opportunity to use that kinda volume). I bought it heavily modded and unrecognizable as a Tweed Twin. Learned how to re-wire an amp and am now into it for a ridiculously low amount of money. More than the amps guys are mentioning as 'budget' amps, but way, way, way below market or even a kit for the same amp. But it is truly a pro level amp and should serve me a good long time.

I agree (see above). I can't really use a 5 watt amp very often these days. So I could blow money on them and have them sitting. I use my 35-85 watt amps in my home practice space (and no, they aren't cranked) and at gigs. I picked up a cheapo SS amp for the band's practice space... it sounds so bad, I don't like playing through it. So, now I'm hoping to get my money back out of it (I did buy it used for a really good price, from a friend) and will replace it with something I don't have to huck in and out of the car and up and down the stairs. But, not sure I think of that as a 'good deal'.

BobbyZ and RoscoeElegante like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.