Best bottle of whiskey for around $50?

rburd2

Tele-Afflicted
It's gotten to be $65-$70 around here when you can find it, but Stranahan's is about as smooth as any whiskey I've tasted.

On the cheap side, Jim Beam Jacob's Ghost is surprisingly good for a white whiskey (aged in uncharred barrels) for about $25.

scrapyardblue

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I'll second a bottle of Blanton's. Smoothest bourbon I've ever had; I love it.
Colonel Blanton would agree. Direct from Warehouse H at Buffalo Trace. Great tour, by the way.
IMG_20171211_214939.jpg

BigDaddyLH

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member

fenderchamp

Friend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
zombie thread!!

I think the holiday season has come and gone. I also think the guy was looking for a bourbon in the first place....

MilwMark

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
This is proper whisky; none of your blended crap or *shudders*, bourbon:
https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/p/284/balvenie-12-year-old-doublewood
Once you have tasted a decent single malt, you'll pour the rest of your Johnnie Walker, Maker's Mark, Dimple (god help us), etc., down the crapper.

I used to love Scotch. Now I prefer Rye by a long shot. So I doubt this one (which is fine but nothing spectacular, by Scotch standards) will cause me to pour out my favorite rye whiskeys. Cheers though.

Friend of Leo's
Highland Park Malts would have been something different and compared to more famous brands at least equally as good … ask a Scotsman/scotch drinker for confirmation :)

AndrewG

Friend of Leo's
Highland Park Malts would have been something different and compared to more famous brands at least equally as good … ask a Scotsman/scotch drinker for confirmation :)
Yes, they are good-although the peaty/iodine notes aren't to everyone's taste.

Velorex

Tele-Holic
Too sad that this is not a scotch thread accompanied by a parallel bourbon thread.
They are too different.
The scotch i prefer is:Teachers, tastes almost like a single malt for me.

velorex

stantheman

Doctor of Teleocity
I've never seen anyone turn their nose up at Crown Royal.
I drank Jim Beam on occasion too.
Now that I'm a member of "The Type II Club" I no longer imbibe.
I want to keep my feet.:D

Lupo

Tele-Holic
Look, you've gotten a lot of good advice, but if you want something thats very high quality, a great gift, AND easy to please because you don't know his/her tastes then Ardbeg scotch. Go into a liquor store and tell them you are thinking about a bottle of Ardbeg as a gift and see what they say . . .
+1 for Ardbeg. By far my favourite Islay whiskey

trapdoor2

Friend of Leo's
High West out of Utah makes nice stuff around that price range. A little more and you could pick up a blend Colonel E.H. Taylor.

Also can’t go wrong with Bulleit. A little cheaper, but you really can’t beat it. Their rye is fantastic.
I can't like this enough. Bulleit Rye is amazing. High West is good to, just not up to Bulleit.

Currently working my way thru a bottle of Woodford Reserve that Miz Diane's group special ordered as a "Single Cask" bottling. Very smooth, not as sweet (to me) as other bourbons. Tasty and under $50.