1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Best Boost pedal?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Broke&Gearless, Sep 11, 2015.

1. valvestate

valvestate Tele-Afflicted

This thread.... LOL.

Anyhow, I'll bite... it depends on your usage of boost.

For gain boost - you can just purchase Digitech Bad Monkey or Fulltone Fulldrive II. If you put it before your drive, it will add an additional GAIN stage to your existing Overdrive/ Distortion. It may not add too much volume but, it will provide you singing sustain and more grit !

For clean boost - check my thread http://www.tdpri.com/forum/stomp-box/576286-tremolo-boost.html :D but, agreed with some, you also cannot go wrong with an MXR Micro Amp for very very clean boost. I also had an EHX LPB-1 but, it adds a bit of bass when I engage it hence, had to sell it.

2. Ian T

Ian T Tele-Afflicted

I love these posts. You'll always get about 50 responses and 50 different recommendations.

I like the Way Huge Pork Loin. I had a RC booster and it was too sterile. I tried EP booster and found it inflexible and not to work with my setup. I like the Pork Loin because it adds a little character with the boost. To taste.

3. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

If I was "broke & gearless" I'd buy a used Visual Sound Rt 66 for $50.

What makes it "best" is first it's a TS808 clone, which not too many players are unable to get good sounds out of, second it adds a bass boost switch, which takes care of the few who cannot stand using a TS, and third it has a second FX in the box which is a usable compressor, then fourth the compressor has a tone control, and at its lowest comp setting it does a serviceable clean boost.

If I was not broke & gearless, I'd spend thousands on boutique pedals and never be quite fully satisfied.
    Or hundreds on Boss pedals and concentrate on my playing.

Ouch!

4. FenderBender10

FenderBender10 Tele-Holic

I love my V2 Route 66. One of my favorite tones is using the compressor as a boost and running it into the 808 side. It's got one of the best buffers too!
    I'd like to try the new V3. They added a few more options and updated the drive circuit to be based off of their open road pedal.

5. sanfi4u

sanfi4u Tele-Meister

Many popular tone shaping boosters are built around the Echoplex EP-3 JFET boost stage. One of the best implementations of this circuit is Chase Tone Secret Preamp.
    One more very good (and different) booster you might like to try is SolidGold FX Nitro Boost. It can do clean boost as well as add some harmonics whatever you need at the moment. It stacks really well with various ODs. It's out of production but still can be found used for a reasonable money pretty easily.

6. Horsefighter

Horsefighter Tele-Meister

Lehle Sunday Driver SW (version with true bypass switch). What a great pedal. Originally supposed to be a buffer but with the switch you can use the bypassed mode as the buffer for your signal chain, and when you hit the switch it can add some db of totally clean boost. Maybe not what you're looking for, its fairly "transparent" but I notice that the attack of your guitar has more presence which in certain settings is definitely preferable. Also, you can use the Sunday function to increase the impedance of your guitar signal which enhances certain frequencies. Functionally, its a great value and the sound quality is studio grade.

I'm also eyeing the Pigtronix Class A boost for other functional reasons. Some great players are fond of it and the demos sound fantastic from what I can tell.

7. Monotremata

Monotremata Tele-Afflicted

Ive never seen a pink one in my life!! Those are starting to gain some notoriety again actually. Several indie pedal makers are coming out with their own, I have no idea where the sudden resurgence came from. Id expect the originals to start creeping up in price now just like the rest of em slowly have.. I guess people forgot when you got made fun of for having 'cheap' DOD pedals haha. Theres a ton of guys in an 'Amp worship' group Im in on Facebook (yes we worship amps, were the guys that take 3 Hiwatt full stacks to a dive bar gig) that have all snagged a bunch up in the last couple of months..

8. PGTips

PGTips Tele-Meister

I really rate the Micro Amp. Mine's been on my board for seven years now. There are other pedals in my chain though that also boost my signal (Tremulator, Cool Cat Vibe, Dyna Comp) and so I generally use the MXR to boost my clean tone when no other pedals are engaged.

9. adam.gotch

adam.gotch Tele-Meister

Our Pickup Booster pedal is designed for a 25dB clean boost. It can also thicken up single coils to make them sound more like humbuckers via the resonance switch.

10. Serenity23

Serenity23 Tele-Holic

Zinky Master Blaster is probably my favorite, but i also like Lovepedal's Amp50 and Catalinbread's Super Chilli Picoso.

11. milospilo

milospilo TDPRI Member

I've got a Durham Sex Drive and that works great. Especially at the end of your chain as it acts as a buffer as well. It plays nice with the other kids.

12. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Even acknowledging the subjectivity, how can any guidance be offered, not knowing such things as:

- guitars
    - amps (including tube or SS)
    - other pedals
    - style of music
    - alone or in band
    - where in chain
    - always-on or stomped on and off, and if the latter, for what purpose

Even knowing all those things, the answers will be subjective and there will probably more answers than posters, and only a marginal chance any will be helpful, applicable or sound good to OP.

Without that?

13. Skub

Skub Poster Extraordinaire

I gotta a thing on my guitars called a volume knob,I use that. My amp has another one. :p

14. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Despite my rant above, this is the best response yet. And is what I do.

15. Marshall_Stack

Marshall_Stack Friend of Leo's

V1 or V2?
    Did you build it yourself?
    The CV7003 is hard to come by.

16. valvestate

valvestate Tele-Afflicted

I always thought that SD Pickup Booster are just used to boost single coils. I never though that it can also be a regular clean BOOST efx. I think the name of your pedal can be more straightforward ;)

17. Lowbassnotes

Lowbassnotes Friend of Leo's

DOD 250 Preamp/OD is a killer boost with the gain down and the volume knob up a bit, it stacks good with other dirt and it'll slam the front end of an amp too.

Added: not saying it's "the best" but it's good IMO.

18. adam.gotch

adam.gotch Tele-Meister

I agree. I use it with humbuckers and single coils. It is a super clean boost with a switch to change the resonant frequency of single coils. You can choose to use it or not. If you don't use it, it is just an awesome boost.

19. DaveKS

DaveKS Friend of Leo's

For me Kingsley Page and VFE Rocket parametric are my most used ones.

20. FenderBender10

FenderBender10 Tele-Holic

I really want to try the rocket. How do you use yours? How does it compare to say, the EQD tone job?
    Crazy tube circuits Vyagra boost looks enticing.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.