1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

best bender action: P/W vs. P/G vs. Glaser

Discussion in 'B-Bender Forum' started by quackattack, Mar 16, 2004.

1. quackattack

quackattack TDPRI Member

I am thinking of replacing my P/G bender mechanism. I'd like a lighter, easier and smoother bender action.

Has anyone compared all 3?

My options are:

1] retrofit a P/W using the P/G string tower [the standard P/W puller knob will not line up w/ the existing hole]

2] retrofit a glaser and use a plastic to cover back rout.

3] add a longer spring to existing P/W [will make easier, but no weight reduction].

Please advise.

2. JohnnyAtomic

JohnnyAtomic Tele-Afflicted

it might be easier to get a new body w/ a bender already in it. like one from bill bores of steelbender innovations. or a prefinished one from WD
    www.steelbenderinnovations.com[/url]

3. quackattack

quackattack TDPRI Member

Johnny you may be right, a new body could be the most viable option.

I'm working w/ Bill Bores, and he 's layed out the above options. . What a great guy and valuble resource. I plan on working through him whichever route I decide to go.

Even if I buy a new body....which bender is the smoothest and works requires the lightest neck pull......P/G vs. P/W vs. Glaser?

4. JohnnyAtomic

JohnnyAtomic Tele-Afflicted

how difficult the bender is to engage is usually a matter of adjustment. most if not all benders have a way to adjust how much tension is on the spring the keeps the bender in the inactive position.
    johnny atomic

5. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Having played all three - the P/W is the smoothest. Both the P/W and the Glaser have tension adjustments, but for smooth legato bends the P/W is superior. The Glaser has more of an on-off switch feel to it - fine if you're playing machine-gun country leads but not so good for the Clarence White/Bob Warford/Bernie Leadon/Al Perkins etc type of stuff.

6. Rick Towne

Rick Towne Tele-Afflicted

Have both but still favoring the Glasers

I have a long throw P/W from Larry Miletich (2002) and a b Glaser (1992) and b/g Glaser (1994). I can easily do the long bends with the Glaser with much less effort than the P/W, although I'm still working on adjusting the spring tension on the latter. However, I can't do the quicker bends on the P/W, nor as easily do licks that involve holding the bend (with the guitar neck pointing away) at the whole step up position. We'll compare notes this coming Saturday.....

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.