Best Beginner Tube Amp?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by stantonmanton, Apr 2, 2013.

1. Alex W

Alex W Friend of Leo's

Being frugal, my advice is that you should get a silverface Vibro Champ (or just a plain old silverface Champ), which you will continue to find useful as a practice amp even after you acquire bigger, louder tube amps in the future. Expect to pay about $300 to $350 for a good example.

2. stantonmanton

stantonmanton Tele-Meister

Looking to spend in the 300 to 500 dollar range when the time comes. I feel like this should give me lots of options from what I have seen.

3. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

find a used 5e3 kit amp. you can get it cheap and EVERYONE should own a good 5e3..

4. macheesmo3

macheesmo3 Banned

I had one...traded it (a 5e3) biggest mistake I ever made....

though mine was a head, if I had had a decent cab to go with it, I prolly would have kept it....

5. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

Peavey Classic 30 could be a candidate

6. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

Ding-Ding-Ding! We have a winner!

Most simple low buck tube amps contain The Tone That Launched A Million Garage Bands. A Fender gutiar plugged into a small tube amp is literally the sound of rock 'n' roll. Rock 'n' Roll retired to the country twenty years ago so you can play anything through a tube amp now. :lol:

Inspriing tone makes you want to play more. Playing more makes you a better musician. Better musicians make better use of inspiring tone.

My pick would be the Champion 600 before they're extinct. Can't go wrong at that price.

Bigger amps like the Blues Junior and the Pro Junior aren't exactly "small". A couple EL84s through a ten or a twelve puts you in Princeton Reverb or Deluxe Reverb territory.

That's a good one, too. Not exactly inexpensive but inexpensive for a vintage tube amp. You can't build a small tube amp for $300, not unless you have highly evolved fabricating, scrounging and bartering skills.

7. LiverpoolFC

LiverpoolFC Tele-Meister

If you want delicious tone in a sweet, but simple tube amp, give the Excelsior a good look.

8. Dave1234

Dave1234 Tele-Afflicted

"You can't build a small tube amp for $300, not unless you have highly evolved fabricating, scrounging and bartering skills. "

No truer word ever spoken.

9. Alex W

Alex W Friend of Leo's

I got try out the Fender Excelsior a few weeks ago at Willcutt Guitars and I liked it. Definitely worth considering.

10. Birdmankustomz

Birdmankustomz Friend of Leo's

Any old (1980s era) tube Peavey is usually safe bet to go with. They don't sell for much, but they were made in the USA and are built like absolute tanks (in addition to sounding fantastic).

11. Hiker

Hiker Poster Extraordinaire

Great thread!

Somewhere between 5 & 15 watts will be plenty at home. Are you a fan of clean sounds, or do you prefer distortion? Your ears will not like volume settings above 3-4 on the majority of tube amps.

It's important for you to understand about clean HEADROOM, and tube breakup (TB). Amps with lots of watts reach TB at very loud volume settings.

Many of us are fans of TB, and it's better to be able to achieve TB at home without the dog running from the room, or the neighbors going crazy. :D

Decide how loud you want clean sounds from the amp, and if the amp you're considering will achieve TB without destroying your hearing indoors.

12. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

My ears love settings above 3-4 volume :D

Good point, however, a 5 w tube amp will still send the dog running out of the room.

13. DuncanAngus

DuncanAngus Tele-Afflicted

I gotta say that a Vox ACTV4 will give you a great sound. Not much headroom, but that's kinda why I like mine.

14. Setyaback

Setyaback Tele-Holic

+1. Vibrochamp was my first tube amp, and I've stuck with Fender tube amps ever since -- Blues Jr, Blues Deluxe, Hot Rod Deluxe, and then finally back to vintage w/ a Bandmaster Reverb.

A Vibrochamp w/ a couple of basic pedals -- reverb, overdrive -- it's a setup that made me want to sit down and play and lose track of time.

15. bacongrease

bacongrease Tele-Meister

Champ 600 is small, suitable for small rooms. I intend to use it outside of my apt but it will require a mic.

16. stantonmanton

stantonmanton Tele-Meister

All of the considerations that you mentioned are making me lean towards the Vox AC4TV. I love a food clean sound but I also want to be able to get some tube breakup in my house. The attenuator in the Vox is very appealing.

17. tomas83

tomas83 Tele-Holic

Peavey!!! Classic, Delta Blues, whatever you want. If you will be lucky enough you can buy on for very cheap (I got my Classic VTX for $40) you get yourself a great amp and save a lot of money

18. tomas83

tomas83 Tele-Holic

I like them, but the one that I tried at local GC had already a messed volume knob which is the most important one IMO. And couple of the reviews online said that the amp just broke down after 6 months to a year. I want something that last. And I believe made in USA is the best you can get. Just my 2 cents…

19. Rumzdizzle

Rumzdizzle Tele-Meister

If you like the vox sound a vox night train or lil night train
    If you like fender Blues Jr for sure
    If you like other stuff I would go with a blackstar

20. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Don't discount a good distortion/overdrive pedal into a clean amp when low volume is a consideration. Once things get quiet enough to not cause trouble in the house, the difference between dirt boxes and actual tube breakup becomes pretty negligible. Actually, a good dirt pedal into a good clean amp sounds great no matter what the volume is.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.