Best before... / expiration dates.

Timbresmith1

Friend of Leo's
I might eat yogurt at a week over. Really depends on what it is.
Milk is the smell test. The dates are "SELL" by not "use by". As mentioned, how cold is it kept getting it home?
Cheese: I cut off the mold and keep eating.
Does peanut butter ever go bad? We dont refrigerate ours... should we? It looks kinda oily sometimes, but never seems to mold or go bad? Is it self resistant to degradation or something?
Peanut butter: the oil will go rancid.

MarkieMark

Friend of Leo's
I might eat yogurt at a week over. Really depends on what it is.
Milk is the smell test. The dates are "SELL" by not "use by". As mentioned, how cold is it kept getting it home?
Cheese: I cut off the mold and keep eating.
Does peanut butter ever go bad? We dont refrigerate ours... should we? It looks kinda oily sometimes, but never seems to mold or go bad? Is it self resistant to degradation or something?

PB will last a LONG time as long as you use a clean knife to draw some out. People who double dip are tempting fate.

That said, they just had a recall that involved Jiff and several other brands for contamination. I already ate half a jar when I found out and drew the short straw as I was ill for a week after.
PB will get stale. I have never had it "go bad" by my standards. which as already mentioned aren't terribly high.

The peanut butter recall was due to contamination (Salmonella?) not due to "aging out"
I found a 1 gallon jug of BBQ sauce in my Mom's pantry. It is unopened and sealed on top, and the best by date is 2011. Does BBQ sauce spoil after 11 years? It's called Smokehouse 220.

Update: My nephew called the BBQ company and they said it might be ok, but then recommended throwing it out.
Well...
I guess one must know ones limitations.

I'd throw that out.

timobkg

TDPRI Member
Best By, Sell By, and Expiration dates are cautious estimates at best, and complete fabrications at worst. Companies have to put a Best By or Sell By date, even on products that doesn't actually spoil. Companies will always err on the side of caution and tell you to throw food out if it's past the date - they don't want to have a law suit against them on the miniscule chance that you'll get sick. Stuff like smoked salmon and beef jerky and heavy cream have stern warnings to consume within a few days of opening - I've ignored those warnings on a regular basis and have never had an issue.

I always go by the smell/taste test. If it smells okay, try a little. If it tastes okay too, it's probably fine.

timobkg

TDPRI Member
I found a 1 gallon jug of BBQ sauce in my Mom's pantry. It is unopened and sealed on top, and the best by date is 2011. Does BBQ sauce spoil after 11 years? It's called Smokehouse 220.

Update: My nephew called the BBQ company and they said it might be ok, but then recommended throwing it out.
Translation: It's probably just fine, but we're going to tell you to throw it out on the miniscule chance it's not because we don't want the legal liability.

flathd

Poster Extraordinaire
Well...
I guess one must know ones limitations.

I'd throw that out.
I might sample a little just so I can say I tried 11 year old BBQ sauce. What puzzles me is why she bought a gallon jug of BBQ sauce. It must have been on sale at Costco or Sams club.
Translation: It's probably just fine, but we're going to tell you to throw it out on the miniscule chance it's not because we don't want the legal liability.
That's what I thought, it might actually be better and aged like fine wine or Whiskey.

timobkg

TDPRI Member
What puzzles me is why she bought a gallon jug of BBQ sauce.
That is an excellent question.

Then again, I had a friend who once found a pizzeria that would overnight Chicago deep dish pizzas and also had on their menu a gallon of gravy. He was so very tempted, on many occasions, to order the gallon of gravy. I don't know that he knew what he'd actually do with a gallon of gravy, I think he just wanted a gallon of gravy just to be the proud owner of a gallon of gravy.

Maybe this was similar? Either that, or there was once a big pulled pork family dinner that never panned out.

Deebs3

Tele-Meister
Hey here are some Santa Biscuits (cookies) that i bought last christmas, for the kids to leave out for santa, unfortunately the use by date was December 16...

Attachments

• SantaBickies.jpeg
    SantaBickies.jpeg
    190.8 KB · Views: 8

Telekarster

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
I just threw away yogurts which were expired by 7 days. Should i have eaten them ?

FWIW my wife and I have this go around from time to time about dates. Many years ago I was going through the fridge and found some salad dressing that was out of date for like 3 years! I said to my wife "Honey! Have you seen the date on this dressing? It's past the date by 3 years!" She said "So? It's got blablablablabla in it, and made with blablabla that doesn't ever really go bad. It's ok." I said "Well, I think we should throw it out" She said "Nope. I'll eat it if you don't want to, just leave it in there" :eek: Welp! She sure did, over time, probably another year later it was finished off! LOL!!! She never had a problem from eating it. I'm still skeptical about certain things but after that event, I usually bend to her judgement ;) So far, so good.

drumtime

Tele-Afflicted
The current Mrs Drumtime & I have a standing disagreement about this stuff. I won't eat old stuff even if I cooked it myself. She's much more adventurous. The CDC has food safety guidelines that are based on actual science, unlike manufacturer's recommendations. I follow those. Gastrointestinal distress is one of my least favorite activities.

Telekarster

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
I just finished off a bottle of worcestershire sauce, I'm pretty sure I bought it in the late 1990s. It was in a 2-pack at the warehouse store. So now I've started the other bottle.

Both were just fine.

Ha!!! You just reminded me! I've got some hot sauce, and man do I mean super HOT, literally 1 drop does it for a whole bowl of chili... and even that's too hot for most people to handle. Anyway, I'll bet I've had that bottle of sauce for over 10 years and it's 1/3 full even now! LOL!! Best 6 bucks I ever spent. Now... if I could get my "miles per gallon" to do this.... ;)

johnny k

Poster Extraordinaire
Ha!!! You just reminded me! I've got some hot sauce, and man do I mean super HOT, literally 1 drop does it for a whole bowl of chili... and even that's too hot for most people to handle. Anyway, I'll bet I've had that bottle of sauce for over 10 years and it's 1/3 full even now! LOL!! Best 6 bucks I ever spent. Now... if I could get my "miles per gallon" to do this.... ;)
Brand of the sauce please ?