1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Best Bedroom Tele

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Adelbatross, Jun 19, 2020.

1. Adelbatross

Adelbatross Tele-Meister

Years ago I had a Am Special Tele and I stupidly sold it and have wanted one ever since. I was going to get a Pro but then COVID hit and with so much uncertainty these days it’s hard to justify splashing that much cash. I’ve waiting for a used one to come up but I’m in Australia and I’ve only seen a handful and the prices are just shy of buying a new one anyway.

I really only play at home and thinking a Pro might be overkill. What’s the consensus on TDPRI these days on the best teles for bedroom players?

Are the new Player series any good? Seem to be an upgrade from the MIM predecessor. Performer seems like a good middle ground to the Pro, but here they’re $500 more so not sure if they’re really THAT much better. You used to be able to find tons of used MIJ Teles down here but word got out they’re good and used prices are more than a new Performer. Bajas are about as rare here as ads for an upcoming gig.

2. Yonatan

Yonatan Tele-Meister

I did the same exact thing (edit - mine was an American Standard I think)! Bought it new in the early 90s for about $400 or $500 if I remember correctly (whatever the price was it included a hard Fender case), and regrettably sold it several years later.

Anyway, fast forward to a couple of years ago, I built a Thinline style from parts (mostly cheap parts, including the body, except I invested more on the neck and pickups), and I couldn't be happier with it. It plays and sounds amazing. (Between work and family, though, it took me several months to complete.)

Another idea, I recently tried out a Squier in a local music store, don't know what model, but going by price, probably towards the lower end, and the neck on it was great! Though I didn't plug it in, so I don't know how the pickups are, though pickups are easily upgraded. But I doubt that all Squiers have necks that good, I think I just happened to have stumbled on a great one. So maybe just try out as many different ones as you can that are in your budget (doesn't really matter if it's a Fender "this" or a Squier "that," and pick the one with the best feel?

Last edited: Jun 19, 2020
    Maguchi likes this.
  3. Seasicksailor

Seasicksailor Friend of Leo's

Just get the best guitar you can afford (or justify affording). It doesn't matter where you play it.

4. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

I don't think there can be a consensus, on this subject. I've played important (to me) gigs, with £200 instruments and noodled away on £2000 guitars, at home.
    We can probably agree on a list of good value purchases, at different price points but I wouldn't like to speculate about your budget, or how you should spend it. It's your money....but that money will go a lot further, if you are patient and wait for a used bargain. The forum provides daily examples of great playing, inexpensive guitars which were well set up and tastefully modded- or built from assembled wish lists of parts.

I don't believe that 'Bedroom Players' should limit themselves to certain grades of instrument, or that they somehow don't 'deserve' a great guitar. Neither can I accept that you need to spend Custom Shop money, to find a wonderful instrument.

Enjoy the search- and let your fingers and ears guide it, rather than just accepting that price= quality. There is so much choice available, that you shouldn't have to compromise, to get the sound and feel that you prefer.

Maguchi, nicknklv, PBO Blues and 4 others like this.
  5. Guitar MD

Guitar MD Tele-Meister

Look for a Squier CV Tele if you are concerned about money for the time being. IMO, these are the best bang-for-the-buck Teles out there. Bought one for $180 and regret that I didn’t hang in to it. Can upgrade it as you go. Comapres well to Teles costing lots more.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6. gwjensen

gwjensen Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Like others said, get the best one you can afford... I play in my basement, same idea, and I don’t feel I should limit myself because I don’t play out... At the same time, I wouldn’t feel comfortable spending big bucks on a custom shop model.... I have to feel good about the purchase or I won’t enjoy the the guitar no matter how great it might be...

Maguchi, nicknklv and teletail like this.
  7. Irondog

Irondog Tele-Meister

I've had an American special tele it was nearly perfect. really really, enjoyed that guitar. The only reason it moved on it just happened to be 8.3 pound guitar. and my custom shop is 6.7 pounds. it slowly moved into the closet did not get played because it was too heavy for my aching back.
    I think the performer is awfully damn good. And they can be had at somewhere around 7.3 pounds. For like you said ~1100 bucks both guitars are very good either 1. That is just going to be the going rate for such a high quality guitars perfect for bedroom or warehouse. I feel like I like the Texas special custom shop pickups better slightly than the Tim shop V mod. I don't think you can go wrong with either 1 of them.
    American specials are starting to go up in value there such good guitars. I've been drooling over this 1 but I don't need it.
    https://reverb.com/item/34121179-fe...-rosewood-fingerboard-sherwood-green-metallic

hdvades likes this.
  8. tery

tery Doctor of Teleocity

Pick one that makes you feel it is special .

9. cravenmonket

cravenmonket Tele-Holic

This is also the case in the US. I've seen used (often years old and less-than mint) American made Fender guitars being offered at 90% of a list for a new one. Sometimes more. It's either a very firm seller's market or some people have inflated opinions of the value of their stuff.

You could try hitting up a shop which is trying to update inventory. When the new year's line comes in, for example? I got my Deluxe Tele under those circumstances - shop was trying to make space for newer models and I got it for $600 off - brand new.

Pro series are really nice. The Ultra are only slightly more, and have many desirable upgrades, but you're looking at close to US$2,000 for Ultra.

10. Unionjack515

Unionjack515 Tele-Afflicted

I’m in the “best you can afford” camp, with the caveat that you don’t limit your shopping by thinking you’ll only ever be a bedroom player...buy thinking maybe you’ll play it out someday. Why not?

Keep on Truckin and gwjensen like this.
  11. raysachs

raysachs Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

You wanna get a guitar you bond with and sounds right to you, whether you're playing in your bedroom, basement, a local club, or Royal Albert Hall. That doesn't mean it's the most expensive or least expensive, but it might be either or anywhere in between. It's gotta be YOUR GUITAR. Play enough guitars and you'll know when you find one that's right for you.

The bigger consideration for a bedroom player is the amplifier. You want to find one that sounds good to you at low enough volume to convince your family and neighbors that you're more use to them alive than dead. A good low volume amp can be a bigger challenge than the right guitar, which is probably the same regardless of where you're playing. For bedroom playing I tend to like a good clean sounding solid state amp and then run a pedal board in front of it to get the small variety of sounds I like. And I personally gotta have a looper after the effects (for different lead and rhythm sounds, for example). But the amp and pedals has been a bigger challenge than the right guitar...

-Ray

12. pedalcr8z

pedalcr8z Tele-Meister

I think the Vintera series are by far the best bang for the bucks. Check out the Vintera 50's!

Jimmythefish and nicknklv like this.
  13. hdvades

hdvades Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Did the same thing with my Am Spec...sold it. Then I bought the new Am Pro and didn't like it at all. Sold that one. A few months later I saw the guy that bought my Spec had it listed for $200 more and minus the HSC he talked me into selling with the guitar that wasn't supposed to be part of the deal. He talked me down $100 and like an idiot I took six bills. I contacted him and said I'm the guy that sold you that axe and I'd like to buy but closer to what I sold it to him for. Jerk said if you want it give me 800.
    So the moral of the story is go find another used Am Spec Tele and buy it. But that's only my 2 cents.

14. Fluddman

Fluddman Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I used to think that you've got to spend a lot of money to buy a good guitar. And maybe the chances of getting a good one improve as the price goes up. However I've found so many inexpensive guitars that are a delight to play and sound great that my thinking has changed.

Also given we are talking telecasters, you can probably put one together yourself that will be great.

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying don't buy an expensive guitar, just don't overlook the incredible choice we have across all the price points.

My current favourite was built using a $6o dollar body and a neck that was given to me. In term of sound and playability it is every bit as good as my custom shop tele (which tends to sit in its case feeling neglected).

Good luck - and just play everything you can.

bgmacaw likes this.
  15. rasr1

rasr1 Tele-Meister

'69

16. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Doctor of Teleocity

Is there some difference?
    C'mon...

17. Axegrinder77

Axegrinder77 Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Imo, being a bedroom guitar isn't really that relevant. In fact, some people get the Mexican made guitar for gigging, and the American stays home.

I think you gotta play before you buy. The performer has cool pickups, but maybe not for everyone.

I think if you can afford the American, that's the better long term investment. But far more important is how you bond with the particular instrument. And you can always swap pickups in a Mexican to whatever you want, and still come out ahead in $.

Whatever you choose, you'll end up with a good guitar, and hopefully a great one!

Last edited: Jun 19, 2020
  18. Adelbatross

Adelbatross Tele-Meister

Yeah I think my original post may have been a bit confusing. What I meant by ‘bedroom tele’ is just something that’s affordable for someone who just plays at home so may not need the higher end ones.

boris bubbanov likes this.
  19. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

Bedroom telecaster? I'm sorry, but I even thought the whole "bedroom amp/gigging amp" thing was absurd (any amp that works on stage can be turned down at home), but this is the first I heard of a "bedroom telecaster". Just buy what you like and play it wherever you want. One model telecaster doesn't work better on stage than in the home, etc.

20. Electric Warrior

Electric Warrior Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

The Telecaster you find that you like best and can afford should be your bedroom Telecaster. Get it and don't look back. I feel like that's true of any guitar. Don't put conditions on it like "am I good enough to play it." If it's a guitar that you will love to play and can afford, you will play it and it will end up being worth it. IMO. I apologize if you meant that you don't have ready access to guitars that you can try and are looking for recommendations along those lines.

Keep on Truckin likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.