1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Best Bedroom "Marshall"-Type Amp?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by msromike, Apr 12, 2021.

1. msromike

msromike NEW MEMBER!

Hi,

I am thinking of building a Marshall style 18 or 45 kit, maybe even the 50W 800 style.

I do have a Weber 100w attenuator for my AC30, and I can play up to about 100 db in the basement without getting feedback (wife feedback.)

Which one would you go with?

Mike R

2. naveed211

naveed211 Friend of Leo's

I'd go with the 18 watt. You can get it juiced up a bit more at that 100db sweet spot.

That's a good decibel level for a 15-20 watt amp, I'm often in that zone without an attenuator. I like 18 watters with pedals, so thats how I get my gain, but the attenuator would be good for that, too.

3. SuperPA

SuperPA TDPRI Member

I have an 82 2204, may be the best rock amp ever. My vote is 50w 800 style. Definitely more of a basement Marshall than a bedroom Marshall.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2021
  4. Wildeman

Wildeman Tele-Meister

None of those! DSL1 is the Marshall bedroom amp, i have one and its killer, you could play a small gig if you have a cab.
    Just saw you want to build it, 18w will be blaring in your house but if you can pull it off go for it;)

radiocaster likes this.
  5. gusfinley

gusfinley Tele-Afflicted

What gain structure are you looking for? An 18W doesn't get to JTM/JMP territory without a boost and a JTM/JMP doesn't get you to JCM800 territory without a boost. The 18 Watt and 20 watt didn't do it for me, so I built a JMP50.

6. redchapterjubilee

redchapterjubilee TDPRI Member

I did a fun and interesting little experiment last night with my Origin 20 head. I normally run it into a Suhr RLIR. The 20 has three power switches: high (20w), medium (3w), and low (0.5w). I first played at 20w, then lowered to 3w, listened, then compensated for the volume drop by turning up the headphone out (was playing with cans on), then did the same for the lowest setting. The three settings in this experiment were virtually indistinct from each other when the volume drop was compensated for. I then unplugged the amp from the RLIR and plugged into one of my cabs (in this case, an open back 2x12 with Emi Wizard and Crex combo in it) at the lowest setting. It was definitely quiet enough (if I backed off the master) to not disturb my very sensitive significant other. So I bet a used Marshall Origin 20 head and a small Greenback cab would be a fantastic bedroom Marshall. Of course, the Origin is more JTM45/Plexi hybrid in nature. If you are after a higher gain JMP/JCM or beyond that wouldn't work.

Jakedog likes this.
  7. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

8. Millebern

Millebern Tele-Meister

I get pretty convincing Marshall tones at low volume with a Joyo Sweet Baby Champ clone and a Zvex Distortron pedal. The Zvex pedal works well with my other amps as well.

9. guitargumption

guitargumption TDPRI Member

I made a couple marshall-ish amps, including ones with power scaling that I used to love for low volume marshall tones. But my favorite right now is my OCD clone kit pedal into my princeton reverb amp clone with nice high voltage on the preamp stages. I used to dislike pedals compared to my simple amps, but I found that for me at least having a good fender amp circuit with high enough voltages on the preamp stages, pedals like the OCD sound great at low volumes to get that sort of tone, and it's so flexible. Just my latest experience.

10. Axegrinder77

Axegrinder77 Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

One of the best sounds I've ever made was trying out a dsl5cr. Man that thing sounded good. Not the 20, definitely not the 1. The 5!

11. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

I use 18watters but TMB is key, stock volume & tone lacks gain and lacks bass, plus sounds thinner than the TMB.
    Pedals for dirt but pushing the amp so it's the amps overdriven sound.

JMP50 is great too, but you need pedal dirt for either one to get screaming Marshall down to 100dbs.

Adding MV to either of those vintage circuits doesn't add gain or really much low volume cranked amp sound, you need a different circuit entirely IMO, like the DSL family or one of the Orange 15-30w amps.

Marshall means many different sounds depending on who you ask.
    I like either pre 1968 era or else much later more modern.
    For me the JCM800/900 are the sound of an era, nostalgic but IMO not the best sounds Marshall has done.
    Of course if your heroes sounds were 800/900 then skip the other circuits and get what you like.

Of all the "different" Fender PRRI/DRRI/SRRI/TRRI amps, they all sound the same compared to Marshalls history.

12. Cali Dude

Cali Dude Tele-Afflicted

It may not do the metal Marshall sound, but the lead channel of the Tone King Gremlin can rock like a JTM45/blues breaker quite convincingly. It can do it from 8 watts down to .1 watt, with the attenuator. And, through that 12" speaker it is glorious.

13. guitarmikey

guitarmikey Tele-Afflicted

Marshall Studio 15 (4001) on 1W setting...

hotcoffeenochill and puddin like this.
  14. puddin

puddin Tele-Afflicted

my home amp is 40cr. I play 40 watt clean, and 20 for dirty. What I like about it, a much bigger cab. Plus you can dial in killer tones at low volume.

15. DeepDangler

DeepDangler Tele-Meister

Friedman Mini-BE head. It’s a micro head that’s 30 watts, 350 bucks, and sounds like a pushed JCM800. Really cool amp.

16. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

If you're going to do the 18W. do the mod that chains all the stages in the preamp and adds the master volume.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.