Best battery-powered amp for busking - playing blues with an electric guitar

ScottTunes

Tele-Meister
Quilter Interblock 45 amp, through a TL806 (w/EVM12L), powered by a Jackery Explorer 500. Power dropped about 3%, after 2 hours. Vintage Traynor Bassmate (20w) though same speaker used about 30% after 2 hours. I'm thinking I'll get the smallest Jackery, and use whatever amp floats my boat! :D:p

dswo

Tele-Holic
The buskers I've seen in Rome usually have Roland Cube Streets. There are three versions: the original Cube Street (now discontinued), the louder Cube Street Ex, and the new Boss Cube Street II, which is the same size as the original but louder and lighter.

hdvades

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
+1 Vox Mini 5 Rhythm. imho...the best by a slight margin to the also super Roland Micro-cube. Have both and as was said above the Vox has a drum machine (mike input also) which is a nice bonus. Can't go wrong with either.

telestratosonic

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
The buskers I've seen in Rome usually have Roland Cube Streets. There are three versions: the original Cube Street (now discontinued), the louder Cube Street Ex, and the new Boss Cube Street II, which is the same size as the original but louder and lighter.
I wasn't aware of the Boss. I'll check it out. Thanks.
JIm

Jared Purdy

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Don't let the small size of the Roland Micro-Cube fool you.

Plenty of volume, good amp models, improved Reverb ( over earlier Cubes), good Roland effects, built in tuner and 20+ hours on 6 AA batteries
View attachment 916969 View attachment 916970

I have one of these, though I have't used it in quite some time. I bought it for summer road trips.

I'm not sure in battery mode it would be loud enough on the street? There's a noticeable difference in the volume going between AC and DC.

The model I see on the streets the most, and it's definitely loud enough, is also made by Roland, but it's about twice the size and is slanted back, with the front at about a 45 degree angle. That is the most common amp I see for busking.

Texicaster

Friend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
I recently bought a Spark 40 AND a battery pack for $50.

I've heard guys getting 10+ hours of playing time! I have 2-3 and still 4/4 bars!

So cool to have so many amp options!

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
I have one of these, though I have't used it in quite some time. I bought it for summer road trips.

I'm not sure in battery mode it would be loud enough on the street? There's a noticeable difference in the volume going between AC and DC.

The model I see on the streets the most, and it's definitely loud enough, is also made by Roland, but it's about twice the size and is slanted back, with the front at about a 45 degree angle. That is the most common amp I see for busking.

The Roland Cube Street would be better ( than the Micro Cube, I just dig the little guy!)
That one has more power, 2 speakers, and separate Vocal / Instrument channels

MyLittleEye

Tele-Meister
The only thing I’ve ever used is a Pignose Legendary 7-100…it’s a one-trick pony, but a heck of a trick!

I marry my one-trick pony with a swiss-army-knife Multistomp MS-50g - The raw simplicity of its vintage transistor circuit complements 21st century digital modelling well.
Multistomp versatility + Pignose mojo = more than the sum of their parts I think.

I've assembled patches in the flavour of Chuck Berry, BB King, Beano era Clapton, through ZZ Top to filthy raw Hound Dog Tailor sounds. I'm particularly pleased with my White Rabbit, surf guitar and Portishead/Glory Box patches.

I should add that I also own a Roland Microcube and Vox DA-5 but Pignose and pedal is invariably my grab and go choice The Microcube's on permanent loan because pignose+zoom is more versatile and looks, sounds and functions better. The DA-5 has a 1" bigger speaker but is twice the size/bulk/weight with poorer/fiddlier effects.

Pig+pedal is smaller than both amps plus I can store a mic, cables and 5 harmonicas inside the amp and sling everything in a shoulder bag no prob. Even the Microcube is cumbersome by comparison.

Oh and everything runs on 8xAA batteries

pignose.jpg

Last edited:

DougM

Poster Extraordinaire
It’s hard to argue against the SteetCube however to offer an alternative, I use a Fishman Loudbox Mini Charge.
Ok so it’s strictly an acoustic amp, but for playing electric I use a Joyo American Sound as the last pedal in my normal pedal chain. Currently considering getting the British Sound and running an ABY system (AS in clean for the “wet” sound; BS set crunchy straight through).
At the shop where I worked all the electric guitar amps were in the back, and I couldn't sit back there and jam when there were no customers, because I had to keep an eye on the front door to see when someone came in. There was the Loudbox Mini in the acoustic room, which was right behind the front room, so I could see the door from there, and so I'd play a CS Surf Green RW board Tele that was on consignment there, plugged into the Fishman, with a Rowin micro sized overdrive pedal that I'd bring to work, 'cause it was so small it fit in my pocket. That sounded so good that I've considered getting a Fishman to use at home with my Strats and Teles. But, I have too little space, too many amps already, and too little money.
31527689-3d01-4c1e-a2da-31cd065e0fd1_1.6dbb4b585e254f8b9f37b51261885bf0.jpeg

fattboyzz

Tele-Meister
Vox G3 mini is a great lil moddling amp.
Runs 10 hours on 6 good AA batts. Will go 6-7 hours on the cheap batts.
Comes with a strap an wall wart ;)
Love mine !

MINI3G2_Gallery_800x600_4.jpg

imwjl

Doctor of Teleocity
My Roland had better battery life but I remain in love with my Yamaha THR.

The world of portable power has SO improved that one might want to choose an ideal amp and power source vs amp with better portable power and lesser tone or feature set.

Boreas

Poster Extraordinaire
The only thing I’ve ever used is a Pignose Legendary 7-100…it’s a one-trick pony, but a heck of a trick!
They also had a larger "Hog" version that wasn't as small but still battery powered. The upside is they sound like a Pignose. The downside is they sound like a Pignose. A unique tone that isn't for everyone, but should be experienced before you make a choice.

P Thought

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Mine's a Fender Mini Passport that I bought with the gift certificate I got from my colleagues at retirement. I bought a rechargeable battery that it plugs in to, it will last several days, maybe a week, if I'm careful to turn the amp off when I'm not using it.

Because of grounding I guess, the amp sounds 'way better, really good in fact, when it's plugged into a wall receptacle, but it's plenty fun on the battery.