1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Best Band Saw Blades

Discussion in 'The DIY Tool Shed' started by Angierc, Aug 4, 2013.

1. Angierc

Angierc Tele-Meister

I am reconditioning/ creating from two old saws a 14" with 6" riser block band saw.

I am wondering what you guys think is the best saw blades for cutting out bodies and the best ones for resawing.

I thought I remembered someone mentioning Timber Wolf and I've been looking at their low tension 3/4" resaw blades

Is 1/8", 1/4", or 3/8" best for cutting out bodies and what brand on that as well.

2. flyingbanana

flyingbanana Poster Extraordinaire

Timber Wolf at Woodcraft...affordable and do the job very well.

3. Kennedycaster

Kennedycaster Tele-Afflicted

I use a 1/2" 4tpi blade for everything (resawing, cutting bodies/necks, etc). I currently have a Timberwolf on my bandsaw now, but I can't say there is a noticeable increase in quality or performance over the cheap blades (Bosch) I normally buy. The cheap ones last quite awhile, so unless this Timberwolf significantly outlasts the cheapo blades, this will probably be the last one I buy. I don't dislike it, but I don't know if it's worth twice the price of the cheap ones.

Bob

4. Pup Tentacle

Pup Tentacle Tele-Holic

The 3/4" Timberwolf is a great resaw blade. Especially if you only have a 1hp motor and want to resaw maple.

5. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

WoodSlicer at Highland Woodworking is also an excellent resaw blade.

6. richinva

richinva Tele-Meister

I use Lenox and have found them to be far superior to both TW and HH's WS. I use a Diemaster-2 bimetal 1/2" 3t skip, .035 on my big 18" saw and it sees massive amounts of work in both dried and green timber. My 14" saw is set up with a finer blade and doesn't see nearly as much use as the 18".

Never liked the TW blades, and the WS, while good out of the box, never stayed sharp very long. Rumor was that the WS is a rebranded Lenox. If so, which I doubt, I still don't like it.

I also have the big Lenox carbide blade, but have only used it once or twice.

Www.bandsawbladesdirect.com has good prices.

I'd be willing to bet that if you ever try a Lenox you'll never go back.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.