Best analog chorus for vibey/leslie

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by TeleMarked, Feb 20, 2015.

1. TeleMarked

TeleMarked TDPRI Member

Hey all! I like puttin my chorus pre gain so it has the kind of interastion that i like for a bluesy-troweresque sound. Currently i am running a TCE SCF and i absolutely love it but find it to be too pristine for what i am after. Just looking for thoughts on this. Thanks in advance!

ForumRunner_20150220_191333.jpg

2. Del Pickup

Del Pickup Poster Extraordinaire

I still like the Dunlop Rotovibe for that sort of sound. However, I do prefer the Leslie tones I get from my Neo Instruments Mini Vent a lot more.

3. mabley123

mabley123 Friend of Leo's

Moog MF108M. Clusterflux..... It also has its own really nice Drive Built In so you can Dirty it Up as much as you want and then process it the way you want.. From Clean to Massive Over Drive. It has 28db of Drive which is More than a Tube Screamer. Which is 26db.

This Drive Function allows you to have the Signal as Clean or as Driven as you want. It also functions Great as a Stand Alone Drive. So really your getting Several pedals in 1. And each function is great on its own merit.

It can get way far away from Pristine, but also be Crystal Clear. Consider you have a built in drive that's More powerful than a TS, but also doesn't Suffer from the Mid Range Hump ect.

I just compare it to a TS because the db of drive is similar. 26db TS vs. 28db Moog. That's the Only thing they have in common.

The Cluster Flux is also built around analogue delay. Specifically Bucket Brigade Devices. Moog chose two NOS Panasonic BBDs in preference to modern alternatives (based on their noise profiles, tone and headroom), despite neither having been in production for decades. So this unit is Not Cheap and while they do offer them... There days are Numbered. Eventually they will run out of BB Chips. Like they did on the Super Delays.

They still do make the MF104M Delays but with different BBs and internal power source is different on the Super Delay. It does 35ms-800ms Delay and around 2.5ms-3ms with EXP. Which is still Huge for Analog.

They came out with the MF104SD in June. Sold out 560 in less than 2 months at $800+ a crack. Actually Sweetwater and a few other companies got 2 orders worth and then they were gone. The Super Delay contained an even rarer BBD than the regular MF104M. Super Delay could get 9.6 seconds of Delay with the EXP. 1.2 in Normal Function. But 9+ seconds for an Analog Delay is unmatched.
    They made 560 of them. I also got 1 of those.

MF108M does Chorus/Flange and has 1 of the Best Tremolos Functions you will find anywhere at any price. The Moogerfooger Ring Modulator also has a Killer Tremolo.

MF108M got 6 wave shapes. Sine, Triangle, Square, Ramp, Reverse Ramp and Sample and Hold. Tap in the tempo of your LFO via the TAP TEMPO button, or sync the Cluster Flux to a MIDI clock.

Positive and Negative Feedback allow you a wider range of tones and voicing than you would find in a normal stomp box. These can even be used to drive the Cluster Flux into tuned self-oscillation.

Use the Amount and Rate controls for expression and modulation of the delay line. Anything from vibrato to a jackhammer, these controls can make it happen.
    Just want a little bit of an effect? Use mix control to dial in the the perfect blend of original and effected signal.
    These also work with Any Instrument and are Line Level Capable.
    IMHO theres not a better modulation pedal made anywhere. It also has 5 Expression Pedal Inputs for Every Function on the Pedal Face so you can control EVERY PARAMETER Underfoot. Not saying you want that and it takes up Huge Space but the capability Is there. But even 1 EXP opens up many options.

Basic Functions are also Easily dialed in believe it or not. Even as Complex as the Pedal IS and LOOKS. It got a pretty good book with it for basic explanations/settings. Its easy to tweak and find your own sounds, but it is also a really Deep and Complicated pedal that I havent even broken the surface on.

But like I said good sounds right out of the box are explained.

4. Hollandcaster

Hollandcaster Tele-Holic

Arion SCH Chorus is known to do this

5. Tim Bowen

Tim Bowen Poster Extraordinaire

I've owned a bunch, including the TC Electronic SCF. Regarding using a standard chorus pedal to get Leslie sounds, yes the plastic Arion is very good.

To my ear, chorus pedals tonally fall more into one of two categories - phasey character with soft high end, or flangey timbre with pristine high end. For my tastes the former more closely groks the chewy growl of a Leslie. The best example of this sound is the venerable old Boss CE-1 Chorus Ensemble, the gigantic grey one from the 1970s. Two clones I've owned are the Retro Sonic Chorus Ensemble (which I still have) and the Voodoo Lab Analog Chorus. The sound here is the rare MN3002 chip; unfortunately both the Retro Sonic and the Voodoo Lab are out of production, as the chips are too scarce. One other clone I'm aware of (don't know about current production) is Vortex Blue Maiden. In any event, that is the sound, to my ears.

Leslie simulators are a different beast, and there are plenty of them. Maybe that would be more in line with what the OP seeks? As to the standard chorus box though, I would look into what gets into the realm of CE-1 & MN3002 BBD chips, and other than the discontinued clones I mentioned, I'm at a loss in that regard.

6. Hollandcaster

Hollandcaster Tele-Holic

Maybe it's worth to mention;
    I had a MXR Flanger, and it was very good also (not great, just very good)

7. MatchlessMan

MatchlessMan Tele-Meister

One important factor is that you need the rate or speed control to go fast enough to mimic a Leslie

8. jonhart

jonhart Tele-Meister

My old Boss CE-2 mimics a Leslie quite well. It's a MIJ green label with the Keeley mod. I'm not sure how others would compare but this one really nails "Badge" and the SRV stuff.

I have a Fender Vibratone that I've compared it with, and while the Vibratone is clearly a distinct sound, the CE-2 is easily convincing in a live setting.

9. Tim Bowen

Tim Bowen Poster Extraordinaire

True, and an excellent point. For example, an Ibanez CS9 (nice sounding chorus, one which has more of a metallic clang than the soft high end of a Boss chorus) comes up short of having enough rate to do fast Leslie sounds.

Mods are available for some existing units, such as this one from Robert Keeley for the Boss CE-2:

https://robertkeeley.com/dev/products/boss/ce-2-chorus-hifi-speed-mod/

10. Jimmy Dean

Jimmy Dean Tele-Afflicted

I went through a ton of chorus pedals. The one I liked the best was the Catlinbread Callisto. Uses a mix knob to go from chorus to vibe. Very cool Leslie tones. Also liked the Voodoo Labs Micro Vibe.

11. TheRumRunner

TheRumRunner Tele-Afflicted

Surprised no one has mentioned a Fulltone mini-DejaVibe...

http://www.fulltone.com/products/mini-dejavibe

I separate chorus vrs vibe though as the MDV does the throbbing leslie so well and I like the smooth, swirly, not so tight sound of a CE2

[​IMG]

DW

12. steam-powered

steam-powered Tele-Meister

While I really, really, don't like to recommend pedals not made in the USA, when it comes to chorus pedals, the best I've ever owned was the Visual Sound Liquid Chorus. It's not in production anymore, but you could probably find a used one cheap online.

A couple years ago I spent weeks trying to find the "perfect" chorus pedal and tried all the usual suspects. At a Larry Carlton concert, I noticed he had the VS Liquid Chorus on his board and used it for a couple slow songs. Tried one at a local shop, loved it, but didn't buy it cause I wanted something made in the USA. Long story short: after a couple weeks of searching, I couldn't find anything that sounded a thick and lush as the Visual Sound. If I ever wanted a chorus pedal again, it would be at the top of my list.

NEVERTHELESS: Not long ago, Moog added a chorus to their minifooger line and, if it's a nice as their other pedals, it's probably just as nice, if not better, than the Visual Sound.

13. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

I second the discontinued Voodoo Labs Analog Chorus, and while chorus-less, I have owned 2 different Boss CE-2s. I currently use an Option 5 Destination Phase for that sound. Its a phaser but is able to go super fast and has both depth and regeneration knobs. With speed maxed, depth at 50% and regeneration at 0%, it does a great SRV Cold Shot sound. I went phaser because, well, I can use it as a phaser too:)

14. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

Yup - and they are dirt cheap.

15. Johnnyseven

Johnnyseven TDPRI Member

The Callisto is great at Leslie tones, although a little pricey.

I would vote for the analog CE-5 over the CE-2 for leslie like tones too.

16. regularslinky

regularslinky Tele-Holic

Not analog, but the Digitech Expression Factory EX-7 has an excellent Univibe sound and a very good Leslie sound - with speed controlled by the expression pedal.

17. Highway Chile

Highway Chile TDPRI Member

Bump.

I'm also looking for a chorus pedal that will do a "fast" Leslie sound better than my Deja Vibe (I have the big white version). To be honest, I think I might actually prefer a Univibe-type tone better than a Leslie-tone for the slower speed stuff, but I'd love to get a "good enough" fast Leslie tone, and the Univibe clones have never really cut the mustard for that purpose (at least not for me, ymmv). To my ears, the Deja and other Univibe clones I have tried can get the high speed needed but fail on the pitch bend -- not enough pitch bend with the intensity set low, but you can't really set the intensity very high, at fast speeds, without the low end throb getting obnoxious. To me, that is the problem with using any Univibe clone to cop a fast Leslie tone. I'm hoping that a dedicated chorus pedal will get me closer to "that" sound. I'm not against digital, but it would have to be one that won't crap out with moderate distortion. No way I'm getting any dedicated Leslie pedal such as the vent or H&K, as I don't need that sound often enough. I would also prefer a less expensive chorus (if possible) as I would generally use my Deja for most purposes where other folks would use chorus.

18. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

My TC Electronic Corona mini does it ok. My Visual Sound H2Ov3 does it wonderfully

19. p8t8r

p8t8r Tele-Meister

MXR Micro Chorus top speed gives you great Leslie sound. My favorite chorus ever.

Anode100 likes this.
  20. johnhe

johnhe Tele-Meister

I know they're not cheap, but for warm chorus tones, or fake Leslie type tones, I just love my Analogman Bi Chorus. I think it is like a boutique version of the EHX chorus pedals, which I think are also very warm and wobbly sounding. To my ears, these pedals are at the other end of the chorus spectrum from the transparent, pristine chorus sounds most people love. The Arion is in the same vein, and is also wonderfully warm and organic sounding.

I also own a Strymon Lex, which is just an incredible sounding pedal. However, if I mix the Stymon in a track on the rhythm guitar, the sound of the AM chorus set fast sounds almost indistinguishable from the Lex.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.