1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Best Amp Under $300?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by ddk1, Aug 12, 2020.

1. Strebs

Strebs Tele-Meister

I use my THR10ii amp more than anything. It's hard to get a bad sound out of it and it's very small.

2. Treehouse

Treehouse Tele-Meister

140 indefinitive posts later and the OP is nowhere in sight. Has this thread helped anyone... besides giving each of us the opportunity to share our internet opinion?

TeleBluesMan likes this.
  3. Twang-ineer

Twang-ineer Tele-Meister

I think we all love this question.... so yeah. It provided entertainment and post purchase validation for all of us who love our THR 10's our Vox AC4's and the Orange 35RT's.

I think that those three cover all the bases.... the really good desktop modeling amp, the really good simple tube amp and the awesome sounding solid state amp.

The world as a whole may be kinda wonky right now, but us guitarists are living in the golden age of tone tech.

4. FrankAlbert

FrankAlbert TDPRI Member

Been long time since I responded to anything here.
    First off, inexpensive Fender amps are absolute junk. Run don't walk. Most low $$ fender amps are built in simlar fashion. Blues Jr, Blues Deluxe, Blues Deville, Hot Rod Blues Deville, etc. All have two PCB's one at 90 degrees with tube sockets hanging down. The two PCBs are connected with (I know, hard to believe) a couple of solid core flat ribbon cables. Everytime you have to open one up to inspect mod repair or whatever, you run the risk with titling the main PCB down for access to crack the solid core wire in the ribbon, usually right at the edge connector - a real ***** to fix. Not to mention the layout of the componets on the PCB and the solid state rectifiers so you really get that fender sound. The jacks and pwr switch are plastic (soldered directly to PCB). Everything about these are cheap as Sh!#. You need $800 to $1100 to get a real fender sound.

I found a nice old '59 Bassman with four10" speakers for $800. Got me reverb and Tremolo pedal, glorious fender sounds.

Lots of great bedroom amps out there. Check out, https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Cube30--roland-cube-30/reviews, for instance. I very much dislike modeling amps, but if you stick to say, Black Panel w/just a touch of reverb, sounds very clean and full. 30Watts and a 10"speaker.

Whatever you choose don't get a super small pratice amp with an 8" speaker, go for 10" min.

Treehouse likes this.
  5. FrankAlbert

FrankAlbert TDPRI Member

-----------------
    Opps. mistyped.
    Not to mention the layout of the componets on the PCB and the solid state rectifiers so you really - CAN'T - CAN'T - get that fender sound.

OK, I have a Blues Jr too but I had my amp guy change out the plastic switches/jacks, caps etc. And I running the original Jensen 12" Made in Chicago, USA. So it is closer to a fender sound as it will ever be. I do dislike the solid state rectifier though, but what can you do.

Obviously small practice amps are usually solid state. I've played for 35years and had over a dozen amps of various sizes. Solid state generally is cold and crisp, great if you're a metal head. But tubes are the only way to fly.

My bedroom amp is a Roland Cube 30, which is solid state but I was amazed at how full and clear it sounded, very tube like on the Black Panel setting.

6. brutus

brutus TDPRI Member

I payed about 300 dollars for an Classic 30.. nice for Blues.

listen at 6:00 aswell.. :cool:

Last edited: Aug 17, 2020
    rangercaster likes this.
  7. Marky Forrest

Marky Forrest TDPRI Member

This amp is a great value. It's 5w/15w, 12" celestion, effects loop, reverb tank and it sounds fantastic. Yes, I have one and IMO you can't buy a better tube amp for $250.00 new. Like the BJR, the reverb tank is a bit small but that's an easy fix.

8. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

New?

Orange Crush 35RT

Used?

USA made transtube Peavey Bandit.

9. Marky Forrest

Marky Forrest TDPRI Member

Check the thread,
    Monoprice 15 watt tube amp
    in
    Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum

10. alesplin

alesplin Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Add another vote for the Vox AC4. I have the blue one, and I think I paid like $249 from Guitar Center a while back.

The AC4-tv is the only one with the attenuator, I think; mine certainly doesn't have one, but it can get quite a decent range of tones at volumes that don't hurt my ears or make my wife mad.

11. Chuckboy

Chuckboy Tele-Meister

Washburn combo. 12" speaker. Apparently a favorite of Rory Gallagher. I got mine in Louisville KY for $90.
    This guy was crazy, but still under $300 (sold):
    https://reverb.com/item/11063613-washburn-vga-15-southside-jr-rory-gallagher

You want the VGA tweed.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.