1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Best Amp Under $300?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by ddk1, Aug 12, 2020.

1. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

I had an AC4 and I didn't really think it sounded good at all.

Pointmonger likes this.
  2. MarkSieber

MarkSieber TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Bugera V5 or T5
    AC 4

into a 10” or 12” speaker cab sounds best, but the V5 and A4 are great for portability. Took a V5 on a vacation road trip, played music with my niece and had headphones for playing late at night.

3. Swatt101

Swatt101 TDPRI Member

Build a tweed clone 5f2a

archetype likes this.
  4. timbgtr

timbgtr TDPRI Member

5. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

so you've already gotten a ton of suggestions here, but my two cents is:

try out the Fender Mustang, the Boss Kantana, and the Yamaha THR series of stuff and see which one of those you like best

Marc Morfei, ricardo1912 and Rocky058 like this.
  6. Mark1406

Mark1406 TDPRI Member

I suppose it depends on what you call Jazz. I far as I can remember most clean Jazz players liked having a lot of bottom end. I think you need to consider an amp that has enough power for a good bass response and possibly a 15" speaker.

I would over look the modelling amps as you will spend more time editing setting than just plugging in and playing.

A Fender Vibroverb would be perfect but out of your price range. I'd be looking at an old Fender solidstate amp with at least a 12" speaker.

Regards

Mark

7. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Intrigued...

8. fuman

fuman TDPRI Member

Thanks for the tip. I have the same kind of question as the original poster and also own a Yamaha THR10 (they ARE great) but want something to jam with.

9. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

I have other amps, but for a great " Fender Clean" platform ( that takes OD pedals great) with great spring Reverb
    I'm knocked out by my little Fender Frontman 25R( bought used in March on CL, $50)
    I put a 10" 50W Jensen speaker in it and it is great for my small Combo, R&R/Blues/Country gigs. Plenty of volume too. 20 Lbs! Plus it almost looks Blackface!
    20200330_162200.jpg

Treynor likes this.
  10. sonicdogg

sonicdogg TDPRI Member

Tech21 Trademark 60 or Trademark 30....used under $300 most anywhere. Clean with feel. Or a distortion channel that is a recording engineers heaven.

Tim S, green_henry and Matt Sarad like this.
  11. Sax-son

Sax-son Tele-Holic

If we are talking new, there are many on the market today that are a decent value. However, if you are will to shop used, $300.00 could probably buy you a much better amp. You may have to comb the classifieds for a while, but if you are patient, you should be able to find something really good.

OlDefGuy likes this.
  12. loopfinding

loopfinding Tele-Afflicted

additional wildcard pick if you want a more old school sound - Fender Pawn Shop Excelsior. the circuit is really similar to both tweed and blonde deluxes (preamp more like blonde, same phase inverter and similar power section as the tweed) and it has a 15" speaker. i've seen them go for under 200 sometimes, since it never sold well. could probably get a tech to add a tone control to it and keep it under 300 if you get it for cheap enough used. put a higher efficiency speaker in it and you can probably keep up with jazz drummers okay.

13. Terrygh1949

Terrygh1949 Tele-Meister

Boss Katana. 50. Or 100.

14. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

^^ Ditto

[​IMG]

15. Blockhart329

Blockhart329 TDPRI Member

I have a Vox AD30VT I picked up at Goodwill for $15.
    I also have a Line 6 Spider III I got at a pawn shop for $70. Both are just like new and either would make a good apt amp.
    The Line 6 has an aux input for tracks to practice with. Just plug your phone into it and play a YT. Both ave headphone outputs.

16. Disco Biscuits

Disco Biscuits Tele-Meister

I had an AC4 Head with a Kustom Cab/Speaker. The previous owner had replaced the housing/frame with a 3 tone wood grain, so it looked amazing. Probably one of my more regrettable decisions getting rid of it. So about a year ago I picked up the combo version of the AC4, and it is like night and day as far as tone. Wide open, it doesn't have nearly the depth or fullness of tone that the AC4 Head/Kustom Cab had in comparison. I finally figured out that I could get useable tones from it by putting a compressor in front of it, as it's feels thin on its own.

I added a couple of pictures of the wood grain, the guy did a helluva job.

Attached Files:

17. Disco Biscuits

Disco Biscuits Tele-Meister

The vibrochamp xd is useless if it dies. If I remember correctly, with the super champ XD you can still use the primary channel(channel/setting 1) if the DSP dies. For me, I've had 2 Super Champ XD's and one Vibro Champ XD. I've never had an issue with any of the three amps over 5-6 years of playing them, aside from tube replacement here and there. I sold 2 of them just out of thinking "greener pastures" or extreme GAS for something new. Immediately regretted it. I have an AC4, Super Champ XD, and Fender Mustang. I always go back to the Super Champ XD. If it breaks, I'll buy another one. Best small amp with Fender tube amp feels and tone that I've ever played. It blows the Mustang out of the water imo.

18. lammie200

lammie200 Friend of Leo's

They tend to not get any love, but a VHT amp like a Ultra Special 6 would be a great amp for apartment use IMHO. Hand wired, all tube and nice cabinet construction. It can be fixed if something goes wrong. Fixing some of the other amps mentioned in this thread is probably near impossible.

Pointmonger, pi and ballynally2 like this.
  19. ballynally2

ballynally2 Tele-Holic

single ended VHT Special 6 is pretty good, though..

Pointmonger and 3-Chord-Genius like this.
  20. ballynally2

ballynally2 Tele-Holic

i bought the Lead12 after Johan put the video out..
    80 pounds!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.