1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Best Amp Under $300?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by ddk1, Aug 12, 2020.

1. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

I think the 50 is a bit more than $300, maybe an Origin 5? I see a few of those used for $299.

For my taste, I'd vote for a Super Champ XD or X2. Not sure it matters, but it's about the only recent tube combo you can find under $300, that doesn't use EL84's.

2. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

I bought a Fender Mustang lll V2 at a pawnshop for $120.
    That’s a lot of bang for your buck.

Rocky058 likes this.
  3. Twang Deluxe

Twang Deluxe Tele-Holic

Vox vt 20 classic
    Vox Pathfinder 15 R
    Fender Deluxe 112 plus

4. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's

This doesn't quite check off all your boxes.
    The DV Mark Little Jazz, is $399, but you can usually get 15% off. It is small, and sounds fantastic for that clean , dark jazz sound. The only effect it has is reverb.You would need a pedal to get dirty tones.
    Since you bought a semi-hollow, I am interpreting this as you lean more to the Jazz side.

https://www.guitarcenter.com/DV-Mark/Little-Jazz-Guitar-Combo-Amp-1389983298929.gc?rNtt=Dv littte jazz&index=1

albatros and ozzeng like this.
  5. Biddle141

Biddle141 TDPRI Member

Vox vtx amp is great also Harley benton has an amp that comes with a celestion 30 in it for less than it cost to buy the speaker by itself.

6. gutbucket

gutbucket TDPRI Member

Fender Super Champ X2. Used mint condition ones for sale all day for under $300. Also Blackstar Studio HT 20 combo in that price range. Great 20 watt amp that is voiced for Fender Black Face sound or turn the dial for Marshall sounds.

driver8 likes this.
  7. jvin248

jvin248 Doctor of Teleocity

8. El Marin

El Marin Friend of Leo's

I got my Origin 50C for 280€ second hand

And my Origin 50 Head por the same money

9. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's

Fender Mustang SS or Monoprice 611815 tube, based upon your specs and my experience.

bfisch likes this.
  10. Chas3rd

Chas3rd TDPRI Member

Orange Micro Dark!!! W/optional Rowin Dumbler pedal. Sweet! You’ll be thanking me...

11. Matt Sarad

Matt Sarad Tele-Afflicted

https://reverb.com/p/tech-21-trademark-60-2012
    I've had mine since 1999. Works great. Best solid state amp before Quilter came along. Ot would be perfect for clean jazz guitar. Tone controls are very effective. Great Reverb tank.

Tim S and timbgtr like this.
  12. Zman28

Zman28 TDPRI Member

I have a Super Champ XD that i purchased a few years back for 200 and liked it so much I found a Vibro Champ for 125. I know a crazy price. So far 1 12ax7 for the Super Champ but nothing else. I have a blues Junior and a DRRI. My favourite is the little Vibro Champ. For home use they are very nice. Tube front end with solid state modelling. Back end . Delay, reverb and tremelo built in as well. It has a speaker out jack and can be used with a cab. The prices for these have gone way up in the usedmarket but they are really amazing amps, and were very underpriced when new. If you play one you will be very surprised how amazing they sound.

stevemc, timbgtr and driver8 like this.
  13. xavitattoo

xavitattoo TDPRI Member

I must admit that it's been a long time I don't use an amp of that price but I have good memories of the Marshall Bass 12 and the Roland Cube 30X

14. benderb9

benderb9 Tele-Afflicted

As your in an apartment I'd get a Roland battery powered amp either the accoustic or electric model, the small Vox battery amp is nice too. I generally use a Fender '57 Champ Custom when I go small but I have the other two as well. The Champ usually lives under '3' when used at home

15. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

A small amp for an apartment won’t be hard to find. You’ll probably get more for your money with solid state, with or without modeling. This thread is full of good suggestions. My suggestion isn’t about a specific amp. Bring your net semi-hollow to a shop and plug into a few amps. If one sounds good, plug into others like it and bring one home. I’m no longer using the first “bedroom “ amp I bought but I learned a good bit about what I like and don’t like from it. A $300 amp won’t be your last amp. You’ll want something different when you start playing outside the home.

Everyone here has an opinion. Everyone has a favorite. The only opinion that matters is yours. If after a time you find the amp is limiting your progress, it’s probably time to move up from where you started. You’ll know way more about what you’ll like and need by that time.

OlDefGuy likes this.
  16. Jay Jernigan

Jay Jernigan Tele-Afflicted

Not a bad suggestion in the bunch, afaik, but being a Fender guy I tend to lean toward the champion series. A friend has a Champion 40 that makes a lot of good sounds and will get loud enough.
    Personal experience with the Super Champ line: I have a SCX2 that has died four times, under warranty the first three, and a SCXD that still lives on.
    Vox AC 4 will not disguise the sound of your guitar.

17. Theiglupickin

Theiglupickin TDPRI Member

I happen across a nice used solid state Yamaha DG60 a while ago and as much as I have other amps (tubes and solid state) I'm still amazed at the variety of sounds this little amp puts out! I got it for under $200 and with two switchable channels with each channel having 8 modeling options from super clean to searing overdrive, I'll never part with it. IMHO, the sounds are a good as anything current! There are still a few around but if you get a chance to try one, you'll be amazed as much as I am how good it is. Why Yamaha stopped making full guitar amps is disappointing but theres still a loyal following of these amps even after many years. I play a Tele, Strat or PRS through it and can dial in whatever tones are desired.

18. tele-nova

tele-nova Tele-Meister

Not sure what vox ac10's cost used but if you could find one for $300 I think that would be a steal. I love my ac15 but a)it is loud and b)used they normally go for about $450. I owned an ac4 for a while and while I liked it I did run it through and external 1x12.

The orange micro line is pretty good for an under $200 amp. I am very pleased with my micro terror and it only cost $150 new. You will need a cab with it though. It lacks reverb and three tone stack but it is very usable. And quite honestly I enjoy the simplicity of it. Its not as good as my ampeg or vox but for what it is i am very pleased.It will sound a little boxy out of a small speaker though.

Marc Morfei likes this.
  19. jimraygilliam

jimraygilliam TDPRI Member

I have tried SCXD and X2 and couldn’t bond with either. Got an XD on a trade and used it as a backup for a couple of years. Replaced the speaker with a Ragin Cajun. Still didn’t like it much. I know they get a lot of love, just didn’t fit me. (I normally play thru a silverface Princeton Reverb.). I am now using a Roland Cube which I can highly recommend. Easy to find in your price range...

timbgtr likes this.
  20. GuitarsBuicks

GuitarsBuicks Tele-Holic

If you want the truly do it all amp, they are somewhat rare nowadays, but the 1986 Peavey Heritage VTX goes for about $125. It will do literally everything. It's 160-watts with two separate channels one lead with a gain for leads and a rhythm channel with little to no grit. The cool part is that you can actually combine the channels to have it act like an overdrive. It also has excellent built it reverb, and an excellent built in triangle phaser.

The solid state 100-watt amp provides excellent tone control and shaping. While the 60-watt tube amp provides all the warmth and natural overdrive one could hope for. Acustic-electric guitars sound great through it and most electrics sound amazing.

I should also add that they sounds good at any volume short of cranking everything to the right and combining both channels with five cranked overdrive pedals in front of it. Then you might need to find a new state to live in. As the cleans will take your head with them and the volume will level your block.

I have also noticed that the Heritage VTX emulates the fender 2x12 amps pretty well, as well as the Box AC30. That of course is in addition to being it's own unique character.

You couldn't ask for a better amp for any price, let alone less that $300. I mean it does all that for $125 or so. They might be hard to find but they are around.

If I had to choose only one of my big amps to keep. It would be the Heritage VTX. If I had two of them I would sell my Fender Hot Rod DeVille and just use the two VTXs. I'd keep the Super Reverb because it's a totally different animal that the other amps.

Also I urge you to keep in mind that there are excellent opportunities to find small amps for under $10 at rummage sales. I personally have 5 small bedroom amps that have I have paid less than $10 for. Some of them are even gig-able.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2020
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.