Best albums to learn completely?

middy

Friend of Leo's
As Tom Bukovac would say, learn every Beatles song.

fenderchamp

Friend of Leo's
A couple times I have made the effort to learn an entire album note for note (or as close as I can get with my meager ability). I feel this is a good exercise, since you are forced to learn not only the parts that come naturally, but the parts that you might not get right away - and that's where learning occurs. Plus of course it gives you deep insights into one guy's particular style.

So I'm looking for recommendations for albums to do this with. Sit down and learn all the guitar parts all the way through. My goal is to be a solid guitar player with a well-rounded vocabulary in the blues/rock/country/rockabilly spectrum. To confirm, I am not looking for "good albums" with "good songs." I am looking for albums that would be good tutorials as part of a fundamental education for a moderately-skilled guitar player.

Here are some that come to mind. Please offer other suggestions. Thanks!

Black Crowes - Southern Harmony
Stones – Sticky Fingers, Let it Bleed
ZZ Top – Tres Hombres
Hendrix – Smash Hits
CCR – Chronicle

I've definitely spent a few hours on those very albums, though not cover to cover with the exception of the CCR. I think a lot of what I try to do (with various degrees of success, can be found between those covers).

I'd have to add Zep2/1 and Jeff Beck Truth/Wired and the ECJMBB Beano record and Van Halen 1, UFO Phen. and The Sun Sessions and Neil Young Rust Never Sleeps to the list.

Also, if you've never checked them out, those London sessions with Bloomfield and EC and Howlin Wolf and Muddy waters are both real treasures full of stratospheric blues licks and intros and tunes in general. You might check those out. I have one called "Muddy and the Wolf", I got it when I was like 12, it was and still is hugely instructional and inspiring.

It really just goes on and on and on and. The Jefferson Airplane Surrealistic Pillow, The Stooges Raw Power, Eric Johnson's Ah-Via.

Eric Johnson's Ah-Via ... now that really is a guitar player's guitar player's record, and it really does go around the bases stylistically and at a super high level. If you want something to work on for a couple of years (at least) that is one for the ages.

Your list as it stands is a great one and full of a many, many great lessons.

I think I'll throw on the Beano record now!

sb72

TDPRI Member
I'll put a third vote in for the vastly under-rated Electric by The Cult.
The_Cult-Electric_%28album_cover%29.jpg

It's a great starter for beginners.

As is the Australian release of T.N.T. by AC/DC.
220px-ACDC-TNT.jpg

Master these and then move onto Tattoo You by the Stones.
TattooYou81.jpg

Then Led Zep II, Led Zep IV, Houses of the Holy, Physical Grafitti and Led Zep III and anything else they've done that you like.
s-l400.jpg

Then Appetite For Destruction
GunsnRosesAppetiteforDestructionalbumcover.jpg

Then Powerslave from Iron Maiden.
Iron_Maiden_-_Powerslave.jpg

Congratulations you can now play the rock guitar. Great success!

Maguchi

Friend of Leo's
A couple times I have made the effort to learn an entire album note for note (or as close as I can get with my meager ability). I feel this is a good exercise, since you are forced to learn not only the parts that come naturally, but the parts that you might not get right away - and that's where learning occurs. Plus of course it gives you deep insights into one guy's particular style.

So I'm looking for recommendations for albums to do this with. Sit down and learn all the guitar parts all the way through. My goal is to be a solid guitar player with a well-rounded vocabulary in the blues/rock/country/rockabilly spectrum. To confirm, I am not looking for "good albums" with "good songs." I am looking for albums that would be good tutorials as part of a fundamental education for a moderately-skilled guitar player.

Here are some that come to mind. Please offer other suggestions. Thanks!

Black Crowes - Southern Harmony
Stones – Sticky Fingers, Let it Bleed
ZZ Top – Tres Hombres
Hendrix – Smash Hits
CCR – Chronicle
Those are all good selections. Be careful though. Some of the tunes on those albums are in alternate/open tunings and may drive you bonkers trying to figure them out. They can be played in standard tuning though.

Marc Morfei

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Those are all good selections. Be careful though. Some of the tunes on those albums are in alternate/open tunings and may drive you bonkers trying to figure them out. They can be played in standard tuning though.
Yeah, I know a lot of the black crowes stuff is in open G. It’s a pain but I’m getting used to it.