Best albums to learn completely?

Marc Morfei

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Chuck Berry. You know, I always forget about him. I know lots of stuff by guys who followed in his footsteps. But if you want to write a book it’s not a bad idea to make sure you know your A-B-Cs. I mean, you basically get the foundation of rock, rockabilly, and blues in one guy.

AAT65

Poster Extraordinaire
There are Pink Floyd albums I can still play almost from beginning to end (DSOTM, WYWH, Animals, The Wall) and bits of most of the others. But the only PF songs I’ve ever ended up playing in a band are Wish You Were Here and Another Brick II.

kent1113

TDPRI Member
I'll chime in with a nod to studio musicians specifically the Wrecking Crew. They played everything and with everybody in the 60's and 70's. A good exercise in control, arrangements and technical expertise. Try Midnight Confessions by the Grassroots. They sang it but the Wrecking Crew played it.

Mark617

Tele-Holic
Appetite for Destruction. I always thought Stradlin's rhythm work was a great compliment to Slash's leads.

Heartbeat City. It's not guitar heavy, but what is on there is fantastic. Maybe The Cars (st debut) or a best of.

Brothers in Arms.

Back in Black.

Synchronicity or Regatta de Blanc.

The Joshua Tree.

Fashion Nugget (Cake)
Heartbeat City ,is a great album. Like all of Easton’s leads, they are melodic. They get in and get out without ruining the vibe. You can hum his stuff. That’s his secret

donrichfan

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
The Carpenter Ants - Ants in Your Pants
I've been playing along to this record the for past week and the guitar playing is so good that I think it should be posted here. There are a lot of musical styles covered on this record and lots of great licks to lift. "Chicken-fried gospel soul"

1650037519972.png

IMMusicRulz

Tele-Holic
I would say that for beginner guitarists, Rainbow Rising by Rainbow would be excellent to learn.

Tarot Woman is my favorite track, the swooping synthesizers playing tag with Blackmore's Strat.

JL_LI

Poster Extraordinaire
I respect anyone who can do that. I play myself backing my own vocals. I don’t think there’s an album where I can fit everything into my vocal range and cover 10 songs of guitar, bass, and keyboard on a single guitar. I also think I’d lose interest. It takes me four to eight weeks to work out how to play a single song.

Reactions: BB

northernguitar

Poster Extraordinaire
My cover band used to play all of Let There Be Rock. I covered Bon Scott and Malcolm Young parts. A very fun album to play, maybe the horniest recording of all time.

JIMMY JAZZMAN

Tele-Holic
John Mayer: Live in LA, both sides. The "Blues" songs pretty routine, the rest will take some time.
Chordify is a big help.

skunqesh

Tele-Afflicted
The Cult, Electric

and
Jets To Brazil - Four Cornered Night
imho this album just bangs from start to finish - the whole thing is very heavy on the crunchy bar chord ballads, but haz so many hooks.

roeg

Tele-Meister
The first 3 Aerosmith albums.
Aerosmith(1973), Get Your Wings, and Toys In The Attic.

Thin Lizzy, Johnny The Fox, and Jailbreak.

Front to back.What i did.

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
I'm just not good enough ( or just in a simpler Blues/Country direction) to play some of my real fave records,
say Steely Dan's 1st two albums, or most Pink Floyd albums...

But maybe:

-Blind Faith Album

-Abbey Road

- Working Man's Dead

-Eat a Peach

-John Prine's 1st album ( sing all the songs)

-Bob Dylan- any of albums 1-7, and Blood on the Tracks

-Neil Young- Everybody Knows This is Nowhere, After the Gold Rush

- Poco - Poco, 2nd album

I can tell I'm already above my pay grade!