1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Best affordable Leslie/vibe?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by birv2, Sep 24, 2013.

1. birv2

birv2 Tele-Afflicted

A friend is looking for one of these pedals and I said I'd consult the wisdom of TDPRI. He's defining affordable as $100 or under.

Right now he's looking at a Behringer Rotary Machine, a Line6 Rotary Sim, a Dano Rocky Road, and an EH Nano Clone Chorus.

Anybody have any experience with any of the above, or have another recommendation?

Thanks!

2. k tone

k tone Tele-Afflicted

I like my BBE Soul Vibe. The Cool Cat is decent as well but I prefer the jack/ knob placement of the BBE. The newer edition has way nicer paint/ knobs now as well. I have the old graphics with the cool dude on the front and replaced the silver knobs with chicken head knobs so I can adjust them w/ my feet.

3. teleplayr

teleplayr Tele-Afflicted

I have a "Rocky Road" and updated to a "Line 6 Roto Machine".

I also have a Cool Cat, but it's a "Vibe" pedal not a rotary type.

For the price the Line 6 is pretty decent. They aren't made anymore but they show up used on Ebay.

I bought a Destination Rotation pedal used, but had to send it back to the manufacturer to be checked out. Haven't been able to compare it to the others yet.

4. k tone

k tone Tele-Afflicted

Oops I thought that he wanted a vibe pedal as per the title of the thread.

5. JHVH!

JHVH! Banned

Thread title is confusing to me, as Leslie
    and vibe are two different things.

6. MrTwang

MrTwang Friend of Leo's

If he wants a Leslie sim the Behringer does a great job for the price.

I used one for a gig where we were opening for another band and I happened to be set up right in front of their keyboard player's real Leslie cabinet.

After our set, a couple of guitar player friends (assuming I had been using the Leslie they saw behind me) said "sounded great when the Leslie kicked in - you really can't beat the sound of a real Leslie". They were totally fooled.

To be honest, it's not that close (I probably wouldn't use it to record with) and there are better sims out there but you'd have to pay a LOT more to get one that was significantly better.

7. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

For a fast Leslie, just about any Chorus pedal will do it.

Ed Boyd likes this.
  8. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Cheap Univibe = Moen Shaky Jimi

Dennyf likes this.
  9. ruger9

ruger9 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

since Leslie and vibe aren't the same thing, I'll discuss leslie:

The Rocky Road IS INDEED quite good- AFTER a very simple mod. (if anyone wants the mod, PM me or email me).

I thought the Behringer was awful, and the Line 6 was just ok (I think they have discontinued this pedal anyway?)

Today, your best best would probably be the Tech21 RotoChoir... not expensive, alot of people like it (I don't, but I've owned several high-dollar leslie pedals), but "good" and "affordable", the Tech21 is probably your best bet.

But I'll tell you- after the mod, the tonal quality of the Rocky Road can go toe-to-toe with Rotosim, Rotoshpere, and any other leslie sim out there. No joke. It's not real tweakable, it is what it is, but if you like what it is, it's really good. I'm not selling mine (and I have a Rotosphere). The only downside is, for live use, the footswitches are too close together. Otherwise, the little bugger rocks.

Leslie pedals I have owned:

Rotosphere
    Behringer Rotary Machine
    Line 6 Roto-Machine
    Option5 Destination Rotation 2
    DLS Rotosim
    Strymon LEX
    Rocky Road (modded)
    Rotosphere (again... and I'm keeping this one)

10. Iago

Iago Friend of Leo's

Dayum, GAS for one of those little Rocky Roads now... what does the mod do, exactly?

11. ruger9

ruger9 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

The RR has a built-in volume and gain jump, making it sound crappy even with the gain control turned down. It also makes it noisy. The mod, which 1 resistor and 1 capacitor, fix that. Brings it down to unity volume, and makes the gain range start at 0.

check it:

http://www.tdpri.com/forum/stomp-box/574-any-thoughts-dano-rocky-road.html

12. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

i have an obsolete Korg AX1G that does an awesome leslie sim

no foolin, it's great for those "Green Onions" and "Hillbillies from Outer Space" moments

these things can be had for next to nothing

13. supernewt

supernewt Tele-Meister

especially in combination with a tremolo

14. 1300 E Valencia

1300 E Valencia Friend of Leo's

The Boss RT-20 does both rotary (Leslie) and vibe, although the rotary sound is better than the vibe and when you switch between the two sounds various knobs (sometimes just the Balance) need to be twiddled.
    Most rotary pedals have a pronounced midrange, which is technically accurate, because that's what real Leslies sound like. The Boss has a bit less of this often un-tweakable flavor, as you can adjust the balance between the horn and the woofer. It's really just a tone control, but nice to have.

15. TieDyedDevil

TieDyedDevil Tele-Holic

The $100 price point is tough for a Leslie. The Behringer may be your best bet for a full-featured sim, but beware: the only way to change speed is to hold the stomp switch for 2 seconds. For me, that's a deal-breaker; I like to change speed to accentuate phrases.

OTOH, I don't know of any sub-$100 full-featured Leslie sim that's any better, so...

If you want just a fast Leslie sound, a chorus will get you into the ballpark.

If you want a good slow Leslie sound, consider the EHX Stereo Electric Mistress (actually ~$120, so not quite in the target price range). This has both a flanger and a chorus; mixing a bit of both at a slow speed does a really decent job of capturing the throb and grind of a slow Leslie.

Of course the same pedal can also do a fast Leslie (more chorus, more speed, less flanger).

16. Iago

Iago Friend of Leo's

Cool! Thanks for the link! I think I'll grab one if I see them around for cheap, I'm still not paying 55$ for one :D

17. JHVH!

JHVH! Banned

Having owned the Tech21 Rotochoir, I do not recommend it.
    Having tried quite a few Leslie sims, if you're going to spend
    229.00 on a Tech21, spend 100.00 more and get the DLS
    Rotosim. It is extremely tweakable. And it sounds great.

As to vibe, I'd just find a used VDL Micro-Vibe. No modding
    required.

18. Delta63

Delta63 Tele-Holic

The Dano and Line 6 are both great value.

19. asatbender

asatbender Tele-Afflicted

Hardwire TR-7

3 tremolo's
    Leslie
    Vibe
    Vibrato

20. Jimmy Dean

Jimmy Dean Friend of Leo's

I won't endorse any vibe pedals under $100. IMO the best deal out there is the Source Audio Orbital Modulator for $170. 17 modulation effects, 9 tweakable parameters, 2 saved presets, tap tempo, optional external control & all effects sound great. Save your money & get this one.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.