Best affordable compensated saddles?

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by littlebadboy, Jan 9, 2019.

1. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Tele-Afflicted

Hello everyone!

I have a Squier CV50 Tele. My OCD is wanting me to have perfect intonation for my traditional 3 saddle bridge. What's the best affordable compensated set of saddles on eBay nowadays?

Thanks!

2. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I don't know how "perfect" you can get with a three-saddle bridge. My understanding is you'll have to accept a little compromise. The good news is that this is (in my experience) imperceptible to your ear; only your tuner will know.

I can't say if these will fit your Squier, but I use them on my MIM Standard and they work just fine.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DDXKQAK/?tag=tdpri-20

littlebadboy and FrontPU like this.
  3. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's

The Wilkinson set are pretty good. Note that you'll never get perfect intonation. Be prepared for things being a little off and tune accordingly.

4. RedHills

RedHills Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Someone turned me on to this in another build thread...I think.

Just got mine. Love it. Better construction and mass than what I've been using on my builds, little more money but worth it!

littlebadboy likes this.
  5. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

You can buy one of those $5 three brass import saddle bridges on ebay and cut an angled slot in the saddles you get, with an ordinary hack saw.

This way you can cut in your own compensation pattern as the ones you buy just file the two ends of the saddle at opposite angles.

littlebadboy and trouserpress like this.
  6. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Don't cheap out and go to E-Bay. Do some business with someone who has earned a lot of respect from so many people here at TDPRI:

https://darrenriley.com/store/fender-compensated-telecaster-brass-saddles-0058544049/

The remarks about "not perfect" really do not apply to these. While I have a wide selection of choices of saddles for each guitar and I sort of custom select a saddle for the specific traits of a specific guitar (and the next guitar may get something else) the above saddle is right on the sweet spot in a really large percentage of guitar projects.

The only thing you have to do is enlarge the 3 holes in the back edge of that overseas plate, to take the slightly larger, classier looking 6-32 hardware. Ream the stock hole to 11/64ths.

I think the tide is turning and people understand in numbers that the Wilkinson Sung Il beveled saddles "overcompensated" for many guitars and that's normally why people miss the mark on their intonation. Each guitar is different, and some guitars need that full slant while others set up fine with straight saddles and the predominance is the slighter amount of compensation.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
    littlebadboy and SPUDCASTER like this.
  7. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

^^This^^

That's where I purchased mine and they work great.

If Darren doesn't have it, it might not exist.

littlebadboy likes this.
  8. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Tele-Afflicted

I am actually fine playing the guitar with the stock brass saddles. I have accepted the compromise that came with it. But, I record a lot and I just noticed that it was little bit off in that 3rd chord in a recent video I made here:

I tuned the guitar, but I did not recently check if intonation was still good.

9. Vizcaster

Vizcaster Friend of Leo's

Hipshot makes compensated saddles for a three-saddle Tele bridge. They're the kind with a beveled top, not the ones that are at funny angles on the intonation screw. You can swap out the saddle height screws and intonation screws for original Fender USA bridge parts if you want to stay with authentic slotted screws (instead of socket head grub screws for height and a phillips head screw for intonation). However if you're bridge is metric or funky you'll just need to stick with the screws that come with the saddles.

littlebadboy likes this.
  10. boris bubbanov

Never could figure why Hipshot has been such a quiet company, when they could've been a major player if they'd wanted to.

But I have a question: Are these angles so funny?

upload_2019-1-10_16-24-20.jpeg

I agree that the Joe Barden saddles look just wildly slanted and even when they work well for some guitars, they look goofy. This IMO does not.

littlebadboy likes this.
  11. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

For the record, I installed three cheap brass saddles from eBay onto a Squier Affinity telecaster and the intonation, while I cannot say it was perfect because that all depends on how good the resolution of your tuner is, it was close enough to perfect that neither my tuner nor my ears could hear a problem.

I'm sure nobody will agree that this is possible, but it's my experience.

littlebadboy likes this.
  12. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

Really the cheap Wilkinsons do a good job and their high end tilt model gets perfect results. The trade off being that they are not the prettiest gal at the dance.

littlebadboy and nojazzhere like this.
  13. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Tele-Meister

Actually, I think the CV50s use imperial machine screws for the saddles. I am not 100% sure but I seem to recall that the screws were too big to fit into the M5 holes of some steel saddles I wanted to use in place of the brass, like on a '55.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

littlebadboy and boris bubbanov like this.
  14. ARCTIC-boy

ARCTIC-boy TDPRI Member

15. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

Don't waste your money, you'll only be chasing rainbows. The CV saddles are as good as any others.

Raimonds, littlebadboy and Nick Fanis like this.
  16. RedHills

RedHills Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Well I'll agree..used 2 (bridges non comp) from Amazon @$10 and intonation adjusted just fine. Difference I see in the last one I used (Wilkinson) is just the "mass" of the metal. That said, the other 2 have worked just fine.

3-Chord-Genius and littlebadboy like this.
  17. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Tele-Meister

The app won't let me edit my prior post...hmm.

The replacement intonation screws/saddles are metric, but they are M3 not M5. I didn't want to confuse anyone who may stumble upon this thread looking for measurements.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

littlebadboy likes this.
  18. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

^^^ 1000% THIS ^^^

19. lammie200

lammie200 Tele-Afflicted

ARCTIC-boy likes this.
  20. boris bubbanov

The primary thing I don't like about this Philadelphias is, the design has the string slung way down low on the saddle and yet the grub or height screw and the threading around it are up and they get into the path of my picking/strumming hand. Especially the unwound strings.

They're also ugly IMO and they cost twice of what the slight slant compensated Fender saddles do.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.