1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

BEST 6V6 TUBE- NEED YOUR OPINION

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by John_B, Jan 19, 2021.

1. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

If it sounds good, don't mess with the tubes. Don't imagine something is deficient.

Chiogtr4x and northernguitar like this.
  2. John_B

John_B Tele-Meister

I am not going to change anything. If I buy two more 12AX7's, then I will have two extra sets with my NOS 6V6's. I see a bit of love here for NOS.

I have never heard a stock Fender speaker sound this good. I am still having a hard time believing this.

3. Sea Devil

Sea Devil Friend of Leo's

If you have multiples of those old tubes, you should sell some! There's a strong market for that stuff.

4. slider313

slider313 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I have a few NOS/NIB 6V6 singles (that didn't match up with anything I have) that I would sell by: Zenith (Sylvania) Westinghouse, GE and RCA.

PM me if you need one or two.

5. John_B

John_B Tele-Meister

I appreciate that Slider but I do have NOS 6v6's.

6. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

I should have taken this advice many years ago on some 'knee-jerk' pickup changes, which usually involves involved spening a lot of $$, and at times making something that sounded good, sound bad. But you learn!

My motto now:
    " Trust your ears!"

dougstrum likes this.
  7. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Afflicted

My old grey glass RCA 6V6s did not match out but I used them for about 8 years. My standby JJs may not have to be used for a long time. In my experience tubes last a long time. I think 95% of tube changes are unnecessary.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2021
    dougstrum likes this.
  8. strat a various

strat a various Friend of Leo's

Somebody round here should organize a "tube swap" club.
    Players who want to try different tubes can send them to each other ... one man's trash is an other's treasure.

9. Fuelish

Fuelish Tele-Holic

foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains, east TN
    First of all, I have nothing useful to add ....... not long after I got my Tweaker !5, got some Amazon money, decided to buy new tubes (for a new amp), got new matched ElectroHarmonix 6V6GTs, replacing the Egnater "branded" Rubys (which are whatever brand) as well as EH 12AX7s replacing the Egnater "branded" Sovteks.....assuming the ^V^s are Sovtek......but anyway.....this damn amp has so much crap to "tweak," can't tell any difference in tone, honestly......did it more for peace of mind and having a full set of backup tubes, honestly :)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.