Best 5e3 clone?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by hadenolmsted, Jun 5, 2013.

1. Moustache_Bash

Moustache_Bash TDPRI Member

Thanks!

2. surfoverb

surfoverb Doctor of Teleocity

buy used. i got a cox 5e3 ultimate for $550 off TGP. these amps are very lightweight and ship easily. we're talking 25lbs its not like shipping a twin reverb , lol

the cheapest ive seen new is $850.

just google the usual suspects and look for them used, thats what I did.

Ive seen Marsh, Clark, Cox, LilDawg et al all being sold for around $500-700.

Unadan likes this.
  3. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

Muxhxs 100%

4. Jakeboy

Jakeboy Tele-Afflicted

lil Dawg

+10000 for lil Dawg ....I own 4 of Jim's amps and am trying to sell a Marshall Bluesbreaker so I can buy one more. No affiliation other than being an extremely satisfied repeat customer.

Jim is a tweed expert and customer service is his hallmark. More importantly, his amps have the tone.

JMO.
    Mark

5. surfoverb

surfoverb Doctor of Teleocity

my next amp will be a Lil Dawg Chocodog, a brown deluxe head....*fap* fap* fap*

I love me some tweed tone but I feel my 5E3 covers that pretty well, although not quite loud enough to gig or practice with sans PA(they are stupid loud for 12 watts though, but pushing 1 12" speaker may hold them back, that said my 5e3 does not sound boxy at all-very open sounding, sounds way bigger than its dimensions bely)
    ...the Brownface fenders apparently were a transition before blackface so you get a good mix of BF volume and tweed beef. (a marriage made in tone heaven? perhaps.)

wouldnt mind having a Topdawg either, a 59-era tweed bassman...just so I can blow my eardrums out in a blaze of tweed glory :D
    hell I want one of each now that I think about it.....:oops:
    I think Im the opposite of most gear whores : I much rather have multiple amps and 3-4 guitars rather than 20 guitars and 1 or 2 amps
    so many amps, so little time
    but, amps are where its at!

btw on a sad note I usually recommend Cox amps but sadly Brian Cox passed away a few months ago...glad I got the pleasure of owning one of his amps-they are indeed very nice.

theres just something magical about plugging into a tweed amp with a telecaster
    [​IMG]

Unadan likes this.
  6. ab2012

ab2012 Tele-Holic

Richter amps...great amps..great price.

7. Prairie Dawg

Prairie Dawg Tele-Meister

The best one is the one you make yourself.

8. kookaburra

kookaburra Tele-Afflicted

Trinity amps are very nice. I own own one of their 18 watt Marshall clones, and it slays.

The Trinity Tweed falls within your budget.

9. bjdeluxe

bjdeluxe TDPRI Member

L'il Dawg Tweed D-lux (5E3).

Jim is the best. His amps are so musical. He built me a 5E3 with a 15" Weber that blows away everyone who's heard it.

My Tele through this amp has pure blissful tone for days!!!!!!!!!!!

10. blues bondsman

blues bondsman Tele-Afflicted

I owned a Victoria 2112 5E3 Two Clark Piedmonts aned now have a 5E3 clone built by a fella on the east coast, his amp business is called Dirty Girl Amplification.

This is my second amp from mr Kettenburg JTM45 was my first.
    The cabinet is the very nicest looking pine and Laq Tweed !!! He uses the very best components and everything is absolutely installed to perfection.
    I had the name badge made myself.

This guy is a local on another amp forum I check out occasionaly, You can't beat buying from guys like him or the local guru here (who I have yet to meet officialy or otherwise) with this many guys giving him a thumbs up, Muchxs must be a great builder and you'll never be sorry dealing with someone you can chat with is awesome !

Attached Files:

11. Minivan Megafun

Minivan Megafun Tele-Holic

I think a big thing to keep in mind is the 5E3 seems to be VERY sensitive to what speaker is used. My Mission kit sounded "ok" with the Jensen reissue C12N. Good with a vintage Jensen P12Q. Amazing with a Weber 12A125A.

12. bjdeluxe

bjdeluxe TDPRI Member

+1 on the Weber.

13. DavidP

DavidP Friend of Leo's

+1 on Mission 5E3

... that was my first DIY amp build. This was quite a while ago, when there weren't a lot of kits out there. In retrospect, it was a very good choice as Bruce did a LOT of hand-holding to get me through that build, in addition to supplying high-quality components. The amp is a keeper, especially with the Weber alnico. I'd highly recommend him as well as Trinity (I've also built Stephen's 18W).

14. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

All good advice here.
    Closely consider what kind of cabinet you want.
    To me, the big limitation of a tweed Deluxe is lack of bass.
    You may want it in a bigger cab.
    You may want it pushing 2 or more speakers.
    You may want to buy just a head and experiment with cabs.
    I have mine in a tweed Pro-size cabinet pushing a 15" speaker and it's heavenly.
    But I also have an original that kills in its own way.

15. GuitarJonz

GuitarJonz Poster Extraordinaire

Again, the muchxs 5e3 is a great amp & value, from a real craftsman. Mine has a non-much cab that I lacquered (gut shot shows it pre-lacquer). My understanding is he does not offer tweed, although all his homemade tolex cabs look sweet. Hoping for one of his champs someday. I started out with the 100w Celestion in there, but ended up with a Victoria-branded Emi Legend, which sounds great, and is very giggable..

Attached Files:

• 008.jpg
      008.jpg
      File size:
      61.4 KB
      Views:
    • 23.jpg
      23.jpg
      File size:
      53.7 KB
      Views:
    • 21.jpg
      21.jpg
      File size:
      53.7 KB
      Views:
    • 20.jpg
      20.jpg
      File size:
      63.9 KB
      Views:
  16. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Got my cab from Mather.
    VERY nice.

17. JDRNoPro

JDRNoPro Friend of Leo's

Interesting................. I have to think the speaker has a big effect on that. My 5E3 clone built by muchxs has a surprising amount of full rich bass, which was a very pleasant surprise. It has an old vintage Alnico speaker pulled from an organ IIRC - maybe that's part of the reason it sounds so "organic" lol!

It is an absolutely wonderful sounding amp with impeccable workmanship!! :)

Last edited: Apr 3, 2014
  18. xMercury69x

xMercury69x Friend of Leo's

Wow, those are some badass looking amps on Clark Amp's site.

19. 6stringcowboy

6stringcowboy Tele-Afflicted

Contact Jim at Li'l Dawg, you will be glad you did.

20. leorville

leorville TDPRI Member

I got a 5E3 built and I believe it to be based on a Ceriatone kit. It got all upgrades available - pots, caps, tubes and Magnetic Components iron. After that, speakers are what will put your amp 'over the top'. For this reason the 'cab plus head' idea works. I have a EVM 15L in the cab and have found the jazz combo tone that I couldn't get until now. Very Kenny Burrell. The tubes are important - valve *1 needs to be a 12AY7 not a 12AX7. The more powerful 12AX7 promotes too much breakup - good for blues but not for jazz combo sounds. A combo is actually less hassle I realise now, but the 15" speaker puts the amp in a different league. I have tried a WGS alnico Blackhawk 12" but for clean tones it is strictly the 15" that works of the two.
    What I would say is this - these amps are special and I would go to the trouble of having an experienced builder do the amp assembly properly and opt for all upgrades - do it once and do it right. I have a Mesa Solo 50 and a new factory DRRI head (among others) to A/B the 5E3 with and it is the 5E3 that is getting the game time. Done professionally the job should come in at about half the factory rec. retail and I would not hope for a proper job by trying to save a little on any of the build areas especially the labour.
    I waited longer than I would have liked for my build to come through but it was immediately apparent on unboxing the completed chassis how clean the assembly was - this is important.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.