Best 57 Champ Clone?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by sgoodacre, Aug 28, 2011.

1. sgoodacre

sgoodacre Tele-Meister

Hi all,

I want to get a 57 champ style amp. I'm not really interested in building it as I will most likely just %$^& it up completely, but I would consider one of the smaller builders if I were convinced. I have a Victoria 20112, and I'm considering the 512, but it does seem pricey. Am I getting anything for the extra money, or would a Lil' Dawg be just as good? I've also enjoyed playing the Swart 6v6se, but I think I would prefer an amp that is totally true to the original circuit.

Thanks,

Simon

2. fauxsuper

fauxsuper Tele-Afflicted

Muchxs. He posts here regularly.

I have one of his amps. Not only does it sound great, I'm fairly certain it will survive a nuclear attack. I'm deliriously happy with mine.

3. Dr. Bill

Dr. Bill Tele-Afflicted

Muchxs is superb quality and the best price you'll find. He tells me he's got some in the works right now. Here's a link to one of his informative old Ebay listings: http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAP...ageName=STRK:MESOX:IT&clk_rvr_id=254083641630

Best to order direct though. Mine should arrive later this week.

4. sgoodacre

sgoodacre Tele-Meister

Thanks for the tip guys. I saw that champ on ebay a while back but I didn't know the maker. I'll have to take another look now that some people have vouched for him. Anyone else got further suggestions?

5. catmandoo

catmandoo TDPRI Member

6. fauxsuper

fauxsuper Tele-Afflicted

I used to own a Frenzel amp: it was well made and a good value, but they are a different animal altogether. Using famous amp names as the touchstones for the amps they produce is sort of confusing. My Frenzel 5E3 didn't sound much like a 5E3 clone does.

I certainly don't mean to cast any doubts about their products at all, though. They are honorable people and I have friends who have bonded with the Frenzel amps they own and consider them key parts of thier sound. The fact that I grew tired of it certainly doesn't mean you will.

But just don't buy one thinking you're getting somthing akin to a reproduction.

7. jmc7581

jmc7581 TDPRI Member

Li'l Dawg

FWIW - Having just worked through a similar question, and after doing a LOT of online research (on this forum and many others) and considering just about every small maker you can name, Li'l Dawg rose to the top of my list. I just placed my order for their 5E3 amp - the "Li'l Dawg D-lux" - with Jim Nickelson, the owner/builder, last week. I couldn't have asked for a better or more informative process than dealing with Jim.

I don't have the amp yet, of course. And I don't know Muchxs's work, though I'm sure it's excellent. I can only tell you where I came out, and that I was sure enough of the result to spend my money there.

JC

8. alnicopu

alnicopu Friend of Leo's

If Muchxs has anymore at or near that ebay price, let us know. I would love to have one.

9. fauxsuper

fauxsuper Tele-Afflicted

I think you should just contact the man himself, pretty easy to do.

10. alnicopu

alnicopu Friend of Leo's

Good idea, just left him a private message.

11. KDAD

KDAD Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

There is a lil Dawg Champster for sale on the FDP classifieds...Fender Discussion Page

12. etiquettemona

etiquettemona Tele-Meister

[​IMG]

The Ceriatone Ultra Champ is sort of both a Vibrochamp and a tweed Champ (bypassing the tone-stack)

Wonderful, loud 6 watts and cheap too.
    Nic at Ceriatone does a great job on these.

Just sayin´

13. JDRNoPro

JDRNoPro Friend of Leo's

I also would suggest contacting TDPRI member muchxs(no affiliation). The 5F1 clone he built for me a few months ago looks and sounds stellar and the overall quality of components and construction is excellent. The man knows his stuff and pride in his workmanship is very evident throughout. Very reasonable too.

14. t-luxe

t-luxe Tele-Afflicted

Wow! $400, are you serious? Get one!

15. Dr. Bill

Dr. Bill Tele-Afflicted

Yup! I've got a Muchxs 5F1 with the slightly larger (Pro Jr. size) cab cut for a 10" speaker on order. I'm providing my own speaker. Cost was $400 plus shipping. Needless to say, I'm looking forward to the FedEx truck's arrival with great anticipation!

16. FreeBlues

FreeBlues TDPRI Member

I'm a huge fan - and VERY satisfied Li'L Dawg owner (5E3). Jim is great to work with, does superb work.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.