1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Best $5 cover you spent for a gig -

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by collinsman, Jan 31, 2013.

1. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Telefied Silver Supporter

Irma Thomas in New Orleans in 1966. One drink minimum, so technically it was about that, but I'm sure I spent more.

2. ZZRyder

ZZRyder Tele-Meister

Led Zep $4.20 in 1972 got grounded for 3 months for pinching the fiver out of my mothers purse!

3. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

at 22, I was in London winter of 77'78... saw a lot of different price shows....

Capitol Radio was doing shows for local bands at the old Lyceum theatre Drury Lane, every second Tuesday night for 2 Quid.... punk new wave mostly...

one night for 2 quid I saw Radio Stars, Wire and XTC's first London show,,,, they were completely awesome on the night.... played most of the songs off "White Music"...

4. sneakyjapan

sneakyjapan Poster Extraordinaire

I remember my first...it was YES...and for that price, we had seats on the ice at the Montreal Forum.

5. collinsman

collinsman Tele-Afflicted

Funny:D saw Zep in 72" also in SCal, they were on fire then..

6. rsi106

rsi106 TDPRI Member

Maybe Nirvana at Raji's on Hollywood Blvd. Not sure it was 5 bucks. Probably less. I think the photos on Bleach were taken at this show. I also saw them the week that Nevermind was released at the Moon in New Haven. That show may have been 5 bucks. I forced 2 of my friends to go with me and there were 25 people there, tops.

7. Shorecaster

Shorecaster Tele-Holic

Damon Fowler Group at the Lake Worth BBQ and Blues fest this past October.

Amazed. Not a flashy showboat, true grit slide and humble dude.

I think it was $10 bucks actually...

8. Despres

Despres Tele-Afflicted

Hey me too!

9. 4string

4string Friend of Leo's

I saw Led Zep in the summer of'72 at the Berkeley Community Theater. I distinctly remember thinking when I paid for the ticket what a rip-off at $4.50..... Sheesh, at the Filmore and Winterland it was always less than $3.

It would be the one and only time I would see them indoors. They played the 4th album 3 months before it was released, as well as the first, second, and third. No other bands, just Zep for over 3 hours.

I recall thinking after it was over "...well hell, I would of paid even more that was so good, like 5 bucks..." LOL

10. marshman

marshman Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I think I spent 8 DM to see a band called "the Trevor Burton Band" at a little basement club in Munich...this would've been Nov 1988, I was in the service, stationed in Bavaria. We were the only Americans in the joint, and we were just hanging out, having beers, and having a great time with the locals. Trevor Burton played about 60% Beatles covers and other period appropriate tunes (they were actually English) and were a bang-on good-time act. Best time I'd had listening to live music for under $16 ever.

Those were the days!

11. bwires

bwires Tele-Meister

While in high school, at the Troubador, Whiskey, Roxy, Rainbow, etc. I saw Quiet Riot multiple times in the late '70's. Couldn't tell you what I paid but it was dirt cheap - if anything at all. Randy Rhodes was the stuff.

In the mid '80's, I saw Stevie Ray Vaughn at a Junior College just south of Chico, CA. No seats, maybe 200 people there. It was the best show I've ever seen - and all for $7.00.

12. TeleTex82

TeleTex82 Friend of Leo's

You older guys don't know how much it stings to read things like that...

13. Summit

Summit Tele-Meister

Bob Schneider... one of my favorite song writers... at the Fine Line Music Cafe in Minneapolis, Nov 8th, 2002. Such an amazing show. No band, just Bob. If you havn't seen him live... you should. The cover was $8...:oops:

I know the title says $5...:D

14. Jimmyspaz

Jimmyspaz Tele-Holic

Maybe Lonnie Johnston in the late '60s at the Bluenote in Toronto . Not sure what the ticket price was, $2.00 perhaps?

15. electricjr

electricjr Tele-Holic

When I was 16, the first Lollapalooza was happening at a park just around the corner from my house in Virginia, and we walked up as close as we could in the woods to hear some of the music the best we could, but then decided to go around to the entrance and see what was up. . Offered a couple on their way out to buy their wristbands, they sold 'em for $5 each and I walked in and saw Jane's Addiction, got right up to the front of the stage. It was a nice summer night, and they went on at dusk and the sun went down during their set- They were (at the time) my absolute favorite band, couldn't have had a better night!

16. TeleTex82

TeleTex82 Friend of Leo's

I'm spoiled, dude used to play at the Saxon pub here every Tuesday.

17. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

Stephen Bishop, Eagles, Ronstadt, Delbert, Tbirds, Mike McDonald & Skunk, and about a truckload of other artists for 5.00 back in the 70's...

I think I paid 7.00 for Mud & Etta.

18. adeiderich

adeiderich Tele-Afflicted

Sneaked into Cleveland Stadium to see the Rolling Stones Steel Wheels Tour. Bought a $5 beer. Cha-ching $

19. Summit

Summit Tele-Meister

And I'm jelous. I've seen him 7 times now, once at Saxon with Lonlyland.

I LOVE AUSTIN!!!:D

20. Tim G

Tim G Tele-Meister

I saw Blood Sweat and Tears for free in the late 90s in Government Center in Boston. Also saw Fleetwood Mac for $2 in the mid 70s at University of Pittsburgh at Johnstown in the field house. Then the most disappointing show I ever saw, the Doobie Brothers at Indiana University of PA in 73. I think it was $3.00 Moondog and Muledeer opened the show at stole the show. No one even waited for the Doobie Brothers to do an encore at the end.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.