1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Best 2x12 Cabinet?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by SaintSilas, Nov 25, 2017.

1. SaintSilas

SaintSilas Tele-Meister

Im in the market and wondering what you guys out there like? Im considering an Orange PPC212 closed back, Mesa 2x12 Recto, Marshall 1936. Two have V30's and the other GT12-75's. Doing rock, more modern than classic, and have another rig for my blues and classic stuff.

2. studio

studio Poster Extraordinaire

Port City Amps and Cabinets.

[​IMG]

nojazzhere and SaintSilas like this.
  3. SaintSilas

SaintSilas Tele-Meister

4. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Doctor of Teleocity

If an older mesa half back with the metal grille appears (mine has wicker over the grille) you might want to grab it. Very tight and clear for modern rock. Stock with casters and big grab handles makes it easier to manage too.

EVM12 in the sealed bottom for huge bottom end handling and a Celestion in the open back top for the contrast.

Very very loud and it will take a full 100w without even breaking a sweat... not that I’ve done that for a few years with it.

Image1511601987.768272.jpg

JustABluesGuy, SaintSilas and studio like this.
  5. studio

studio Poster Extraordinaire

Some people put Vintage 30's in them.
    others have those Jensen Jet Tornado speakers.

The cab design is unique in that it has a 45 degree corner
    inside the cab facing down which pushes the sound
    towards the port. Sounds like a 4x12 from only two speakers.

6. SaintSilas

SaintSilas Tele-Meister

Sounds like an awesome design. Never heard of them. Gotta give them a look. It looks like a sleek classic car.

7. blakestree

blakestree Tele-Meister

I have a Port City vertical 2X12 OS. From my experience, I'd say you'd want to stick with brighter, larger magnet speakers in these cabs. I'm about to put a pair of V30's in mine.

8. Obelisk

Obelisk Tele-Afflicted

Marshall 1936 in the early JCM800 era can be great cabs. I am not a fan of the G12-75T, so I would avoid that cab after the 65 watt Celestions were no longer stock. One with Vintage 30's can be cool. I have been using two mid 60's Fender Bassman/Bandmaster cabs that have changed baffle boards that are made from Baltic Birch plywood. Each cab has a pair of early 80's Celestion of 65 & 80 with 444 cones. These work great for my purposes.

The Port City stuff has always looked good as does the Dr Z Z Best Cab. I love the sound of a Mesa Thiele cab that the idea of one built as a 2x12 would kick some major butt. I doubt I will try one of the Dr Z cabs out, but have thought about purchasing one. I have a pair of early 80's Mesa Thiele cabs and these are my absolute favorite cabinet. They both have EVM-12L speakers and they are just great. Small physical footprint with a large sonic presence: the Mesa Thiele are about the same size as a Princeton Reverb, but seem as loud as a 4x12. The half closed back/half open back Mesa 2x12 of the 80's are also quite a beast. Those suckers were built to be loud and sometimes can be found for dirt cheap. Not familiar with the Recto Cab. In my experience, Mesa makes really good cabinets that are solidly built, don't rattle much and get loud with a vengeance.

http://drzamps.com/product/z-best/

SaintSilas likes this.
  9. Sollipsist

Sollipsist Tele-Afflicted

I have a Genz Benz GB212 vertical 2x12" that I picked up VERY cheap. It's durable and well-made; half-open top and closed bottom makes it tight enough for modern tones with my Randall head but also pairs nicely with my Blackheart combo for a big classic Vox sound.

I'm toying with the possibility of swapping one or both speakers, but at the same time I hate messing with anything that already works well.

I've looked at Dr Z and Avatar cabs, but nothing has convinced me to part with my money yet.

SaintSilas likes this.
  10. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

Avatar 212 contemporary with V30s is a super-solid choice for $379 shipped. Got one a few months ago and it's built like a tank, sounds great -- once you get about ten feet in front of it. They have a vintage version for a few more bucks that has a convertible back, which would make more sense on small stages.

11. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

The Z best and presumably the port city and other thiele design cabs like the EV TL806 will deliver lots of bass, where for example the Mesa Recto cab is designed to keep the bass very tight and maybe even attenuates the bass a little.
    The Recto is sealed and not very big, I took the V30s out of my Recto cab and put them in my bigger sealed Fender 2x12 (the smaller of the '60s/ '70s fender 2x12, but still pretty big) to find far more bass from that cab.
    Maybe the Recto cab tightens up the bass from the Recto amps?
    The tradeoff of a little less bass returns a tighter sound, I'd guess with more mids and clear low mids.

Personally I don't want massive bass from a cab, partly because then I have to dial the bass back at the amp, which I presume covers the low mids delivery in the amp circuit, and I want the low mids more than the bass.
    I want more piano low end, not sting bass low end from my guitars, thus I'm not a big fan of bassy cabs. Just my taste though, and the Recto cab actually doesn't have quite enough bass for my taste, so I use it with the back off, at home at least.

I am interested in a detuned cab though, which has front ports combined with a semi open back/ back port, giving more low mids but not huge bass.
    Dumble/ Two Rock etc cabs have rear and often side ports for tighter warm sound, but not huge bass response.

For speakers I got tired of V30s just in time for the speaker industry to explode with a dizzying array of options. For 20w amps I like Celestion Golds and red Fangs, but also like the Emi copy of the Celestion classic lead 80. That Emi (Red Ryder) is discontinued.

The G12T75 is not a well loved speaker and is cheap on the used market.
    Might be fine for modern tones though?

Last edited: Nov 25, 2017
    drewg and SaintSilas like this.
  12. Mark Grant

Mark Grant Tele-Afflicted

My favorite 2x12" is the Dumble style vertical cabinet. Two Rock uses a similar design. It's a fairly easy build if you have a table saw. I like 13 ply Baltic Birch & Celestion G12-H 75 Creambacks. Not a better 2x12 in my mind.

SaintSilas likes this.
  13. Clifford1

Clifford1 TDPRI Member

I picked up an Avatar cab a while back and have been very happy with it. Their prices are great as well.

14. SaintSilas

SaintSilas Tele-Meister

I have heard a few people say that. Im unfamiliar with their stuff. Are the cabs thin walled or sturdy?

15. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

the 2x12 "Contemporary" cabinet I picked up from Avatar recently is built like a tank. And a screaming deal.

Clifford1 likes this.
  16. dustoff

dustoff Tele-Holic

I have had an Avitar 2X12 for several years with V30's in it. Built VERY well.

17. Zeonoid

Zeonoid Tele-Holic

any 2x12 old box with original (not chinese) speakers will do
    just make sure you play before you buy because of resonance

18. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

in the scheme of things they are all just copies of the tweed and black tolex Fender 2 x 12 cabs from the 60's . Very rugged, very strong, can withstand 50 years of use !

IF you are asking about which speakers should be in the cabs, thats a totally different subject, unrelated to the build of the cabinet.

19. Clifford1

Clifford1 TDPRI Member

Very sturdy. I wouldn’t hesitate to get another one.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.